Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:40 AM
mbj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

gunracer
Thanks for that info it confirms what i was feeling.

The flight last night was very short.
I definetly need to discharge this battery.
I am using my brothers Triton charger and it said it was charged but it only lasted approximatly 5 tp 7 minutes. ( Stock Batteries)
I only have the one battery at the moment and an upgrade will be the next step.
The launching seems as natural as can be now altho now I wouldnt reccomend the up elevator all the way down like we did before.
I threw it at a steeper angle which almost caused it too stall but it came out of it just above the wheat. The 4 or 5 clicks woudve been ideal!
He was going to pass the controls off right O way but I didnt want too take it from him like that.
He is super smooth with the controls! I think he is a natural.
The landing was perfect and if it wouldve been above the ground we think it woudve been successful.
He glided 30+ feet 2 inches above the wheat before touch down.

I forgot too mention I added styrofoam in the battery compartment to keep the battery from moving around, plus I am using my wifes hair tie to hold the battery cover on for now!
Like a rubber band
I also have the nose cone removed to avoid breaking it. All great Tips from the preflight checklist!

It doesnt seem like you can throw the plane too hard on launch, is this true?

As long as the angle is reasonable and you get as much effort behind the throw
that you can comfortably handle and still maintain accuracy the plane goes right up.

Still this plane has not once rolled left, or has even had a tendency too.
I will get a good charge on the battery.
I am thinking it isnt charged up all the way and this may be the reason the torque from the motor isnt effecting take offs.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:51 AM
stokeflyer

mbj,
Your battery will get better each time at first, and your right, the harder the launch, the better airspeed you got so its less likely to tip stall.
Just got back from a 4 hour sortie with mine , it just seems to fly better each time!!! and it loves the wind which is great for the UK.
A good improvement would be lipo's for you, i put a 2300 mah pack in mine and i get up to 30 mins flight if i watch the power or 15 mins driving it.
I'm thinking of going brushless but with so many options out there its difficult to know which motor to go for.

electriceye,
GO FOR IT!!! you cannot beat the feeling after a good day flying, just take heed of all that you've read on here and you should be ok, these guys really know there stuff.

Rich
Old 06-03-2006, 04:51 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

it's the belly pan on the mustang that makes self handlaunches a bit tricky.and yes the mustang being a low wing going from a deadstop to flying means lots of power is needed.for now I just have one of my flying buddies launch it.I use high rates when I launch and the plane was trimmed so I just use hi rates.I swallowed my ego and called red rocket and got a new cowl and spinner shipped.I suppose I could patch the old one but what the heck..
Old 06-03-2006, 06:01 PM
KingCobra79

ORIGINAL: stokeflyer

I'm thinking of going brushless but with so many options out there its difficult to know which motor to go for.

Rich
Go with the Typhoon motor. It is cheap, easy to install, and WAY OVERPOWERED, meaning you have more than enough for that size airplane.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:58 PM
afpe45

@electriceye, and everyone else,

Big grinns all round, Went out with my stock p-51 today, didnt go up the slope as there was only around 9mph winds so that wasn't enough to slope it but I did fly for around 10 mins in the bottom. I took my camcorder and set it up on the ground but it only got me from the wast down so that was a waste of time.
The only thing I did was to put some tape on the air scoop ,from the airscoop forward to where the wing mounting screws are, I thought this would stop it digging in and comming to a full stop when I landed, and it did the trick.
Right, it flies no problem,I held it at the back of the wing ,it does feel a bit nose heavey when you are holding it so far back but the only other option is to hold it on the air intake and it isn't sturdy enough.
I launched with full up trim (trim lever fully down) and full throttle, A gentle over head throw (just as if I was launching a glider),
into the 8or9mph wind, it didn't tip stall or dip and turn to the left and nose in, like so many others have said, instead it was at flying speed as soon as it left my hand, I couldn't believe it so I powered down landed and did this 4 times with the same result,all into the wind (8or9mph).
On the fifth launch I watched it climb away with a slight turn to the left as it got about 50 feet from me, it was still climbing so I throttled back to half throttle, it didn't like that and it was very slow might have tip stalled if I had left it there so I increased to 3/4 throttle but that didn't make much difference(the throttle response is c**p) so I put it back to full throttle and put in full down trim(trim lever fully up), to try and stop it climbing, now it was ok so I did a circuit round me and as it passed over my head I rolled it ,let it climb a bit then dived and pulled back on the stick and did a loop(the only one it had power for) .
As it was going away from me I rolled it onto its back and did a half loop back Towards me , it picked up quite a bit of speed and screemed past me ,while it had the speed I did two rolls one to the left and one to the right, power draining now slowing down as it goes into wind but the wind makes it climb and gain height so I fly circuits round me to the left and to the right, each time it turns into the wind it climbs and when it turns out of the wind it losses height, I kept on doing that till there was not enough power to keep it airborn ,then turn it into wind, put in full up trim,cut the motor and let it glide in to a perfect landing, sliding to a halt exept I found a brick sticking up and broke the cowl, (lots of stones and tufts of grass to hit on the british moorland) total time in the air was about 10 minuits though it seemed like 3mins as I was enjoying myself. need about 5 or 6 battery packs, 40 minuits is too long to wait as well as my car is 15 minuits walk away(if I went up the hill its 3/4 of an hour away)
Think I will try it with the motor shimmed next, to stop it climbing , because it is to slow at less than full throttle,(and putting full down trim in causes too much drag), and I think that is where all the tip stalles come from, it needs the speed, I think with the lipo it will be better because of the extra volt, and with brushless should be as good as everyone says,I just can't understand why everone has trouble launching and flying it though ?. of cource it might be different launching it in dead calm when there is no airflow over the wing when you launch it.
afpe45.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:21 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

afpe45...for some of us...altitude is an added problem. Im at 5000 feet and that makes the air significantly thinner then where you are which makes it more difficult to get a good handlaunch. Not saying its impossible cuz some have done it ok, but just harder. Glad you had a good experience. You might try the wing shim incidence mod that might help to keep it from climbing so much under power.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:31 PM
afpe45

@kahloq,
Yes the altitude will have lot to do with it ,so never fly if there is less than around 8 mph wind or use a catapoult (short bungee) to get airbourn, I will try the wing shim but I want to try shimming the motor first, I dont realy want to lose the glide angle by shimming the leading edge of the wing.
afpe45.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Libertarian

mbj,
Your battery will get better each time at first,

it just seems to fly better each time!!! and it loves the wind which is great for the UK.
A good improvement would be lipo's for you, i put a 2300 mah pack in mine and i get up to 30 mins flight if i watch the power or 15 mins driving it.
Hey Stokeflyer, which 2300 mah battery are youu using? I bought a Kokam 2300 mah but it wouldn't fit in the stock battery box so I exchanged it for the Swallow advanced charger I am using. The Thunder Power 2100 I use fits fine as does the crummy off brand 2600 mah LIPO I bought that lasted about 2 flights and now lasts about 2 minutes. The TP 2100 gives me about 10 -12 minutes (I use pretty high power).

Hey mbj 6 minutes is normal flight time for the stock setup on the stock nimh battery, but your charges will get a little stronger after the first time or two.

HEY, Kahloq or you other guys using the Typhoon motor! Is that a brushless motor? If so I assume you are using the Powerzone module with it? I'm pretty sure Kahloq is using all aftermarket radio gear anyway so I imagine he's not using the powerzone.

Here's my last flight 2 days ago. [link=http://media3.uploadjar.com/file.php?file=uploads/undrwngpasture11.asf]Underwing camera flight[/link]I am using the 1800 mah LIPO I got cheap on ebay. Instead of putting the multipod camera INSIDE of Frankie facing forward, this time I added it under the right side of the wing alongside the airscoop (big mistake) facing down and added a bottle of locktite on the other side of the scoop for balance and wind resistance balance. I had forgotten the CG was up further toward the front of the wing so the plane flew totally crazy!!![X(] I almost crashed about 5 times after launch but after correcting numerous times I finally got it semi-stable and started having some fun with it. With the LIPO, brushless setup you can see the plane hits about 300 feet in a few seconds once I had stopped trying not to crash! [8D]About the time I decided to do a semi-low flyby overhead (heading into the wind) the battery died HEADING STRAIGHT FOR A POND!! I had to reduce altitude VERY quickly (from about 30-40 feet up!) and almost crash into the ground (rough landing) which kind of split the wing and cracked the spinner in 2 places (gonna use some CA to mend it though) and the CF wing spar saved the wing (see pix). A small wing repair and she'll be ready to fly again. My chase crew (the dogs) weren't very helpful chasing down the plane and seemed more interested in cooling off in the pond I was probably not going to make it across. Thank goodness I ditched before trying to GLIDE powerless across it. GG, you may notice a buzzard glide right under the plane as he seemed pretty curious. He trucked on by though and the plane wasn't up to a dogfight with the weight so far off anyway so no dogfight this time. [>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13473.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	471341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72179.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	471342  
Old 06-03-2006, 11:05 PM
kahloq

Typhoon motor is brushless.
Yes I use after market radio gear....Spektrum Dx6 tx/rx and Hitec servos
Old 06-04-2006, 06:31 AM
stokeflyer

Kingcobra79,
I will take a look at the Typhoon, think i may need some help from you guys on the fitting i suppose its not just a direct swap? and I'll also need the powerzone module? as I'm on stock gear.

Afpe45,
Hey well done!!! I know you've been dying to get your mustang up for a while but holding off, it sounds like you had a blast, the wind definatly helps this plane. Were you on high or low rates? and what height did you put in the up trim and cut the motor for your glide in? I think i still come in too fast, just not found the tip stall speed and dont really want to....lol

Libertarian,
The lipo's were cheapies off ebay from a guy in the UK, unbranded (but they seem to do the trick). They wont fit the battery compartment so I fitted a new bulkhead slightly back, moved the rx into the old battery compartment and cut an access panel in the top so I could change packs easily and not have to take the wing off every time. Then I foamed the front and needed to add a little weight into the cowl to get the cog back right. I lost the weight advantage of the lipo but I get great flight times and the power seems way better than stock battery.
Your vid was a little hair raising for the first few seconds (looked like a sweaty palm moment ) but the vid is nice and clear, what cam set up are you using?
Rich
Old 06-04-2006, 07:37 AM
afpe45

@stokeflyer,
This isn't the replacement airframe I have been looking at and trying to decide what mods to do to it .
Its one I got off ebay last week, I just put it together charged the battery and went flying.
The foam is 5mm thick on this one, I can hold it by one wing at the tip without it flexing very much, the replacement airframe I got from SMC. Is only 3mm thick, and flexes verry much ,I can't hold it by one wing that is why I am going to split the wing and put in carbon fibre rods,
as to the landing, it was sinking as the power draind off going with the wind, it was about 15 feet off the ground, I could have just let it land going with the wind but it was a bit too fast, so I banked into a near knife edge turn keeping the speed up in the turn into the wind
as I levelled out I was about 8 feet off the ground as the speed bled off I cut the power and put in full up trim (trim lever fully down),
and skidded in nicely, although into a rock that was only about 3 inches visable above ground OUCH!!, the whole area is covered in bomb craters from the war, as the moorland that I fly on is where the germans got rid of their unused bombs after their bombing raids
on manchester before turning right and running for home.
I used low rates but before the flight I used the second hole in the aileron linkages, which was a mistake because while the ailerons were ok in low rates the elevator didn't have enough travel, and when I put it into high rates the elevator was ok but the ailerons were way too twitchy, I could have done 3 consecutive rolls at the bat of an eye, but the slightest touch and it rolled almost on its back
so I left it in low rates, back to the first hole for the next flight.
The whole flight was mostly at about 15 to 20 feet off the ground, exept for the beginning when I did the loop and that was only about 10 feet off the ground after compleation.I like keeping it low it seems faster, I almost came unstuck though because there is a spot where you get sucked down in a down draft, other people have told me about this and as it was my first flight on this ground(I am usualy up the hill) I forgot, I got grass stains on the prop where It cut the grass, and brown stains where I... well never mind about that.

@Libertarian,
Nice video a lot better that the cam in the cockpit, but when using a cam, try and just fly circuits, so we get a nice view of the countryside, when you are looping and rolling it all moves too fast and we can't see whats going on, and it wastes good footage

afpe45.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:50 AM
KingCobra79

Kingcobra79,
I will take a look at the Typhoon, think i may need some help from you guys on the fitting i suppose its not just a direct swap? and I'll also need the powerzone module? as I'm on stock gear.

Afpe45,
Hey well done!!! I know you've been dying to get your mustang up for a while but holding off, it sounds like you had a blast, the wind definatly helps this plane. Were you on high or low rates? and what height did you put in the up trim and cut the motor for your glide in? I think i still come in too fast, just not found the tip stall speed and dont really want to....lol

Libertarian,
The lipo's were cheapies off ebay from a guy in the UK, unbranded (but they seem to do the trick). They wont fit the battery compartment so I fitted a new bulkhead slightly back, moved the rx into the old battery compartment and cut an access panel in the top so I could change packs easily and not have to take the wing off every time. Then I foamed the front and needed to add a little weight into the cowl to get the cog back right. I lost the weight advantage of the lipo but I get great flight times and the power seems way better than stock battery.
Your vid was a little hair raising for the first few seconds (looked like a sweaty palm moment ) but the vid is nice and clear, what cam set up are you using?
Rich
Stokeflyer,
I use a spektrum radio, like Kahloq, much nicer way to go, so I can't advise on the powerzone module. To put in the Typhoon motor, remove the metal pinion gear (this is a little difficult as I ended up grinding down a punch to the diameter of the motor shaft, hung the motor in a hammer claw, then punched out the shaft). Pull the pinion off the P51 motor and CA this on the shaft of the Typhoon. Shaft should end up about almost flush with the pinion, but not more than that. This will allow HALF of the pinion to engage the gear, which works. Now loosen and slide the Typhoon heat sink all the way back. Now the two screws holding the original motor (with washers) can be used to hold the typhoon motor. I also had to extend the typhoon motor wires to get to my 40A Eflite ESC.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Crashcrazy

Typhoon 4200rpm/v brushless motor JR tx/rx - mine as everyone else has put together, a mate has put the complete Typhoon gearbox/motor in with slightly different results (seems like 1/3 3D plane and 2/3 a warbird)??
Old 06-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Lib,
Sustained a little battle damage I see. Glad it's all fixable.
4 blade looks good on there.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:47 AM
electriceye

Dear afpe45 and all you other guys,

This is going to sound like I'm on Park Zone's payroll,but I'm not I assure you. Took my 'Stang to the local club field (I'm not a member but I had e-mailed them previously and asked if they'd be kind enough to help me out). Perfect conditions, light breeze, blue sky. One of the instructers with 30 years experience took it up (another guy launched it), it flew, in his words and of all who watched !QUOT!beautifully!QUOT!. He had it looping, inverted, rolls all on the maiden flight. 2nd flight I launched it, a bit 'wobbly' due to my launch, no other reason, but off it went. So on both these first flights launching was no problem, it just went. He took it up and handed over the controls. He had to 'rescue' me a couple of times (it was set to 'high' mode due to his experience-I will stick to low mode the first time I go solo) but it was just fantastic. It looks so good in flight, very authentic scale speed.

I'm positive the reason it went so well was due to the simple pre-flight 'tweaks' as suggested on this site. I had a rubber band to secure the battery cover and taped up the gap between the airscoop and underside of the wing, I had lubed the control wires & motor gearbox and cycled the battery 3 times. I can definately see how inexperienced people would get into trouble, and I'm still really not sure if I would go solo from launch to landing yet, but in the hands of the experienced this bird really flew.
Absolutly superb.

afpe45-One question, the American guys mention filling the front of the fuselage with 'Great Stuff' foam. I think you have done this but what product did you use that is available in the UK? Will filling the front with foam alter the flight characteristics with the stock setup as that would be a real crime as it goes so well as it is?
I am going to get another battery and charger as the only problem with stock set up is time between charges in my opinion. Thanks to all that helped make my Mustang soar!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 09:03 AM
guy5927

If you remove jumper J3 for lipo use, is it a sudden hard cut off or is it a loss in power that you experience so that you know you have to land ...?
Old 06-04-2006, 10:12 AM
afpe45

@electriceye.
putting some tape between the air scoop and the underside of the wing sure does stop it diging in on landing doesn't it,
If you read through the thread again at my posts ,you will see that I am still in the "thinking" stages of the mods to the replacement airframe I got from SMC,
which certainly does need the mods as it is one of the first batch that only had 3mm thick foam. wing and fuz panels. the one I flew yesterday,with same fesults as you from all accounts was a stock one with 5mm thick foam pannels so is a bit stronger and not as many mods need to be done on the strength side in my opinnion , but the must do ones still need to be done IE: strengthen the firewall if you are going to use an outrunner direct drive motor (no pinnion trouble that way) lipos, top hatch for battery,move RX to the old battery compartment, cut flap in rear of belly pan for air flow, mabe a scoop on front somewhere for air cooling intake, possible rudder control and under carriage,

builders expanding polyurethane foam is what we have in the uk that is similar to what they use in the states. (try B&Q) just do a test on an old box first so you can see how it expands and fills the space , weigh the box before and after to get an idea of the weight difference.
I have used it myself on other things as well as gorrilla glue,
http://www.gorillaglue.com/gluefinder.htm# to find a dealer near you. (gorrila tape is good too
hope that helps.
afpe45.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:21 AM
electriceye

Having seen how well this P51 flies, I think I should get a trainer and learn to fly a bit!! Can anyone recomend an inexpensive (I mean inexpensive!) trainer that I can use my standard Mustang radio gear on? I have looked at a GWS cub type thing. I believe it comes with a motor but does anyone know what more I would have to do? can I buy RX, ECS servos etc that are compatible with the PZ TX? I don't really want to rip the mustang apart for the radio gear, but if removing, using and replacing the Mustang's gear is simple I will do that. Any suggestions or recomendations really appreciated. Please bear in mind a very limited budget!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:30 AM
electriceye

Thanks for the reply, I will try what you say with the foam, but I think I really need to think about a trainer as per my last post, so I don't ruin this great aircraft.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:14 AM
afpe45

@electriceye,
Why not try slope soaring with an epp wing, zaggi or wannabe, it will get you used to controlling a plane, use of wind, lift etc,
not verry costly, quiet fly for hours without worrying about running out of power,
I have been flying for two yrs slope only, exept for xe2 which I got last month which I still used on the slope anyway,
yesterday was my first attempt at electric power and I had no problems even though it is a scale warbird.
if you do go for a trainer go for one that has aeileron/elevator not rudder/elevator and use mode2 that puts elevator and aeileron on the same stick(right hand) and throttle and rudder on the left stick.
Where do you live anyway ?. ammend your personal details.
afpe45.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:18 AM
mbj

electriceye,
Congradulations! I am glad your flight went well, It is definetly a sense of accomplishment.
Seeing it in the air is simply amazing. It looks like the real thing and adds to the whole experience.
Its hard for me not too just keep going back for more.

stokeflyer & Libertarian,

Thanks you for the information about the stock batteries, flight times and extended flight time with use.
All the information here and the way everyone here helps others is something you dont even see in everyday life.
I cant thank everyone enough!
Old 06-04-2006, 05:26 PM
gunracer

i just posted a vent mod at rcg...here's the link...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=438
Old 06-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Rube Goldberg

I've been in RC modeling for 30 years now. Just this past Memorial Day I decided I was going to finally try an electric plane, and the one I chose was the Park Zone Focke Wulf 190. Boy was I amazed at how WELL it flew---after the first attempt at hand launching resulted in a lawn dart. I've successfully launched and flown the FW-190 several times now, with only 2 incidents. More on that later.

I was so impressed with the FW 190 that this past Thursday I went ahead and purchased (like the FW 190 from the same local Hobby shop) the P 51D. BAD mistake. First attempt at the launch and it lawn darted. Second attempt the wind was blowing UP the slight slope at the flying field and I managed to maintain altitude and speed by throwing it downhill which resulted in a much slower flight than the FW 190. Wind changes for rest of day and I can't use the downhill toss, but rather a toss on level ground. Attempt #3 results in lawn dart/belly skip and breaks prop and trashes the battery door. Attempt #4 after changing prop and taping battery door in place results in you got it....lawn dart. Spinner breaks off on this attempt.

Just happened to be several fliers to witness it all. They were quite impressed with the looks. They were NOT impressed with the flying results. Owner of the Hobby shop was out with one of his planes, and I told him in no uncertain terms that "he could tell Horizon Hobby to shove this thing up their (U know what)". So I've boxed it all back up, plan on returning it to the shop tomorrow and let them work it out with Horizon, then they (the Hobby shop) can work out something with me.

Did I mention that out of the box, the trailing edge of the wing along the entire length of the left aileron was split apart? I figured aw nuts and went ahead and bought a replacement wing (another $39 throw away still in the bag)---but after an email to Horizon concerning the wing defect, and a phone call to Horizon concerning the wing defect of which I was told I needed to wait the customary 72 hours for a reply....ok, I see how Horizon works now......I went ahead and spent more $$ on foam compatible CA and accelerant and just fixed the thing myself. I don't know who to compliment for the business model that Horizon works under, but it appears that if you make a defective merchandise warranty claim full of hassles, then maybe your clients will just "suck it up" and keep on accepting the garbage they sell.

But at near $200, the Parkzone P-51D is NO buy. I guess I could spend yet another $80 on the SUGGESTED LiPoly battery, and another $50 on the SUGGESTED LiPoly battery charger, but if the plane actually performed as DESIGNED with the NiMh batteries then you wouldn't need to spend the additional $$$ now would you?? Ahhh.....enough on the P-51.

The FW 190 has really been a lot of fun to fly. And with the special MOLDED FINGER GRIPS on the bottom of the wing you can actually hand launch the thing. And the placement of the battery---through the TOP OF THE FUSELAGE and secured with VELCRO at that! Gee, you think Horizon actually LEARNED something from the ill fated P-51D, and actually implemented a few "changes" to make a better product? From what I've seen from Horizon, probably NOT.

But the FW 190 will still on occasion manage to yield a lawn dart toss. And when it does, the first time the electric motor will spin the pinion gear off the shaft. Remove the wing, find the gear and press it back on and you are in business. That is until the second unsuccessful toss when the pinion gear spins off yet again, then NO amount of CA glue will hold the pinion on the shaft. So I guess I'll keep the FW 190, and wait for the hobby shop to order and receive a new motor/pinion shaft for the plane. And I'll give Horizon more of my money. But as for their version of the P-51D.....save your money. It is GARBAGE. And if you DO manage to purchase either the P-51D or the FW 190, I STRONGLY suggest you open the box first and look it over for OBVIOUS manufacturers defects that have little "pass" stickers on them.

Oh--forgot to mention---I'm 6' 4" so I DO have an advantage on initial altitude!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:42 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: Rube Goldberg

I've been in RC modeling for 30 years now. Just this past Memorial Day I decided I was going to finally try an electric plane, and the one I chose was the Park Zone Focke Wulf 190. Boy was I amazed at how WELL it flew---after the first attempt at hand launching resulted in a lawn dart. I've successfully launched and flown the FW-190 several times now, with only 2 incidents. More on that later.

I was so impressed with the FW 190 that this past Thursday I went ahead and purchased (like the FW 190 from the same local Hobby shop) the P 51D. BAD mistake. First attempt at the launch and it lawn darted. Second attempt the wind was blowing UP the slight slope at the flying field and I managed to maintain altitude and speed by throwing it downhill which resulted in a much slower flight than the FW 190. Wind changes for rest of day and I can't use the downhill toss, but rather a toss on level ground. Attempt #3 results in lawn dart/belly skip and breaks prop and trashes the battery door. Attempt #4 after changing prop and taping battery door in place results in you got it....lawn dart. Spinner breaks off on this attempt.

Just happened to be several fliers to witness it all. They were quite impressed with the looks. They were NOT impressed with the flying results. Owner of the Hobby shop was out with one of his planes, and I told him in no uncertain terms that "he could tell Horizon Hobby to shove this thing up their (U know what)". So I've boxed it all back up, plan on returning it to the shop tomorrow and let them work it out with Horizon, then they (the Hobby shop) can work out something with me.

Did I mention that out of the box, the trailing edge of the wing along the entire length of the left aileron was split apart? I figured aw nuts and went ahead and bought a replacement wing (another $39 throw away still in the bag)---but after an email to Horizon concerning the wing defect, and a phone call to Horizon concerning the wing defect of which I was told I needed to wait the customary 72 hours for a reply....ok, I see how Horizon works now......I went ahead and spent more $$ on foam compatible CA and accelerant and just fixed the thing myself. I don't know who to compliment for the business model that Horizon works under, but it appears that if you make a defective merchandise warranty claim full of hassles, then maybe your clients will just "suck it up" and keep on accepting the garbage they sell.

But at near $200, the Parkzone P-51D is NO buy. I guess I could spend yet another $80 on the SUGGESTED LiPoly battery, and another $50 on the SUGGESTED LiPoly battery charger, but if the plane actually performed as DESIGNED with the NiMh batteries then you wouldn't need to spend the additional $$$ now would you?? Ahhh.....enough on the P-51.

The FW 190 has really been a lot of fun to fly. And with the special MOLDED FINGER GRIPS on the bottom of the wing you can actually hand launch the thing. And the placement of the battery---through the TOP OF THE FUSELAGE and secured with VELCRO at that! Gee, you think Horizon actually LEARNED something from the ill fated P-51D, and actually implemented a few "changes" to make a better product? From what I've seen from Horizon, probably NOT.

But the FW 190 will still on occasion manage to yield a lawn dart toss. And when it does, the first time the electric motor will spin the pinion gear off the shaft. Remove the wing, find the gear and press it back on and you are in business. That is until the second unsuccessful toss when the pinion gear spins off yet again, then NO amount of CA glue will hold the pinion on the shaft. So I guess I'll keep the FW 190, and wait for the hobby shop to order and receive a new motor/pinion shaft for the plane. And I'll give Horizon more of my money. But as for their version of the P-51D.....save your money. It is GARBAGE. And if you DO manage to purchase either the P-51D or the FW 190, I STRONGLY suggest you open the box first and look it over for OBVIOUS manufacturers defects that have little "pass" stickers on them.

Oh--forgot to mention---I'm 6' 4" so I DO have an advantage on initial altitude!
Your experience with the P-51 is pretty close to what i experienced(on both the first and second fusealges I had). I got smart then and put LG on it and then it flew great for me with no more lawn darts(until a bird decided to play chicken with the 2nd iteration). I am now on number 3 and I am very wary of actually flying it...that I havent yet...its just that it looks so nice..I dont want another pile of foam parts. If that happens, I will not rebuild it again and will use the typohhon motor and all electrical components in another plane.

I do as well have the FW190 and I do think it is a much better product. Unfortunately, mine didnt come with any pushrods...go figure...there has to be something wrong or its not Parkzone. J/K

Old 06-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Libertarian

ORIGINAL: guy5927

If you remove jumper J3 for lipo use, is it a sudden hard cut off or is it a loss in power that you experience so that you know you have to land ...?
The motor just quits. Unlike teh NiMH batt setup you'll get less (if any) warning since the LVC for the LIPOs is higher and almost unnoticeable. You still have aileron and elevator. I actually enjoy the challenge of landing dead stick so I always run the batteries out, plus with NiMH batts you WANT to do this anyway. As long as you are high enough you should be able to land okay IF you are not in a loop or roll or in severe wind. I have vids from inside the plane where I recover from the first two easily but with wind you need power to fight your way down to the ground or the wind will topple the plane off to one side = crash.[:@]

Thanks KingCobra. Yes the first moments were very hair raising indeed. Next time I will have the camera moved up farther on the wing for a better cog. Anyone know where the cog is? Seems like its about 2.5" back from the front of the wing?

The camera I use is all self-contained (no transmitter). Unfortunately it is no longer made by Octave but I heard someone else makes a replacement (called someting else) but I couldn't find one on google though. Octave may be working on a replacement too from what I heard.

Stats:
Can capture up to 3,000 full color still photos at 320x240 or 750 full color still photos at 640x480 VGA
Built-in USB connection uploads pictures to a computer for storage or for making prints
Records up to 12 minutes of video with sound
Digital voice recording system accommodates about an hour of dictation - from recording lectures to leaving personal memos
At only 3 3/8 long x 15/16 inches wide x 7/8 inches and under one ounce in weight, it can easily be attached to clothing and objects for convenience and practical use

Thanks GG for the compliment Yes I'm really pleased with the 4 blade prop. I can't believe how resilient it is too. You can no longer just sit the plane on a hard surface though.

afpe45, yes I noticed the countryside is really tough to see too. In the future I'll get some nice slow circuits. I'd really love a semi-forward AND downward view but I don't think there's any way to position the camera for this, (well I MAY have an idea[:-]) along the front of the wing facing downward at a 45 degree angle with a counterweight on the opposite side of course.

Electriceye, I think the foam does affect the way the plane flies. It flies far easier and more graceful unweighted/unfoamed IMHO. Its tough to get the foam weight even in my experience. If you do it make sure you rip out the unneeded mass and just leave the inner fuse coated as most of the strength then comes with less of a weight penalty and you can remove it frm each side until it is balanced side-to-side. With more power its less of a problem. Now with my cowl being protected by the outrunner motor (think Terminator skeleton) and reinforced firewall and foamed fuse being almost indestructible I break the sides of the skeleton just alongside/over the wing when I crash and the fuse crumples a bit along the sides. The damage keeps moving rearward as I reinforce the front pieces but at least its still flying!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.