Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Australian thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:43 AM
Rowdy_b64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Australian thread

ORIGINAL: Crawf_

Hey Rowdy ... wanna see a Slow Stick get some Beaver? hehe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21flQSG6xGs

Cheers,
Crawf
Hey Crawf .. Thanks man ... loved it !!! LOL
Gota love the mid air crash clips !! Very funny if it's not your plane eh .. Don't you just love how the beaver just drops out of the air like a stone .. apparently undamaged ???
Cheers
Rowdy
Old 05-27-2007, 04:45 AM
tam popo

Crawf, ya sadistic madman. That Beaver really got Fooobarrred - Slow Stick 1, Beaver 0!!![>:][>:][>:][>:]
Old 05-27-2007, 04:46 AM
dabvid

crawf, yes i do have a lipo compatible esc-30 amps, and apparently for it to fly pretty much at all you need a 3 cell lipo- just not to much full throttle. buy anyway as soon as i have the money im putting an eflite park 450 in it. im a bit bummed out as i thought i was getting it last friday so as i could have it maybe ready for maiden on tuesday as we have a curriculum day. oh well it will have to wait.
regards,
dave
Old 05-27-2007, 04:47 AM
Rowdy_b64

Hmmm good thought Tam ..
Maybe a bit too much grunt for a beginner ... could leave it stock for a while ... fly it on NMih's until he's ready for the Brushless.
may go that way ...
Mind .. the Brushless I had in the Freedom produced LESS power than the stock motor ...
Cheers
Rowdy
Old 05-27-2007, 04:54 AM
Crawf_

Check out this Slow Stick in the hands of a master.... amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWH4zFiJCwA

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Crawf_

Dave

The E-flite Park BL outrunners are excellent choices...

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-27-2007, 05:07 AM
dabvid

crawf, what size lipos are you using in your minimag and how much did they cost you. cause if i buy the lipo for the stock i want it to be able to go onto the brushless motor.
regards,
dave
Old 05-27-2007, 05:18 AM
dabvid

guys i just saw on the lhs's website that the park 480 is a whopping 8 dollars more. i was thinking maybe i should get this motor and throttle limit to between 80-85 percent. just so as it is better for expansion in the near future.
regards,
dave
Old 05-27-2007, 05:20 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: dabvid

crawf, what size lipos are you using in your minimag and how much did they cost you. cause if i buy the lipo for the stock i want it to be able to go onto the brushless motor.
regards,
dave
Dave,

I'm using a variety of LiPos in the MM. All are 2100 or 2200 mAh 3S1P One is a FlightPower which I've had for ages, but I recently bought one from my LHS - EMAX 2200mAh for $60 and it works really well.

But don't forget I've never run the MM on stock motor, it has always been BL so not sure how well the stock will handle the extra volts... take care with it..

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-27-2007, 05:29 AM
Crawf_

guys i just saw on the lhs's website that the park 480 is a whopping 8 dollars more. i was thinking maybe i should get this motor and throttle limit to between 80-85 percent. just so as it is better for expansion in the near future.
regards,
dave
Dave,

This is a seriously powerful motor.... It is (I think) a 910 KV motor. it's the one I have on order from Modelflight for my Mini Ultra Stick... you will probably need to run a fairly large prop on the MiniMag (10 x 4.7 or 11 x 5) with this motor so you would need to check the prop clearance. I just checked my MM and unless you put bigger wheels and/or higher LG even a 10" prop would strike the ground....

My experience with the MM was with a Himark 28-15 2000KV motor with a 6 x 4 prop.... so it's hard to really comment...

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-27-2007, 05:30 AM
dabvid

yeah, im a bit worried about the stock mototr but the lhs said it would be fine. and besides how much is a new brushed motor 12-17 maybe at max. so what do you think about using the park 480. it should be pwerfull enough for unlimited verticle.
regards,
dave
Old 05-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Crawf_

yeah, im a bit worried about the stock mototr but the lhs said it would be fine. and besides how much is a new brushed motor 12-17 maybe at max. so what do you think about using the park 480. it should be pwerfull enough for unlimited verticle.
regards,
dave
Dave

If you can match it with a suitable ESC and LiPo and Prop you will have no problem with unlimited vertical on the MM with the 480. In fact you may need to add heat resistant tiles to the bottom of the plane to protect it from the heat of re-entry from orbit...

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-27-2007, 05:44 AM
dabvid

maybe it'll be the worlds first 3-d minimag. i think i will get the 480 and throttle limit to 80% and then when i am completely comfortable with it i will unlimit the throttle.
regards,
dave
Old 05-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Crawf_

Dave - some more specs on the 480 .... definitely looks to be too big for the MM - mainly because of the prop size required....

Specs
Type: Brushless Outrunner
Size: Park Flyer
Bearings or Bushings: Ball Bearings
Wire Gauge: 16
Recommended Prop Range: 10x7 to 12x6
Voltage: 7.2 to 12
RPM/Volt (Kv): 910
Resistance (Ri): .08 ohms
Idle Current (Io): .85A @8V
Continuous Current: 20A
Maximum Burst Current: 25A (15 sec)
Cells: 6 - 10 Ni-Cd/Ni-Mh or 2 - 3S Li-Po
Speed Control: 20A - 35A Brushless
Weight: 87g (3.1 oz)
Overall Diameter: 35mm (1.40 in)
Shaft Diameter: 4mm (.16 in)
Overall Length: 33mm (1.30 in)

Needed to Complete

20A - 35A Brushless ESC

2S - 3S Li-Po or 6 - 10 Cell Ni-MH/Ni-CD

10x6 - 12x6 Propeller

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-27-2007, 05:55 AM
Crawf_

Dave

Other option if you are sure you want the 480 is maybe use with 2S LiPo instead of 3S and then you should be able to run a smaller prop.

Maybe someone else in the thread can help out here as I'm getting to the end of my expertise with these matters... I'd just hate you to fork out hard earned cash on something you won't be able to use as you expected to...

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-27-2007, 06:12 AM
dabvid

i think i may just use the 450. i hear that it work well on all of the mini eflite planes. the main thing im getting at is id like the mpxt after the minimag. would this be ok as a third plane.
regards,
dave
Old 05-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Pijuvwy

ORIGINAL: inflex

*phew* finally, I'm done, the first fully (properly) working proto of my lipo discharger. Takes cells down to 3.72~3.75V which makes them happy for storage.

This unit can do 2S and 3S packs... no real limit to how many packs you can do in reality.

(first cell circuit done)

(all 3 cell circuits done)

That thing looks clever, Paul!
Old 05-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Crawf_

i think i may just use the 450. i hear that it work well on all of the mini eflite planes. the main thing im getting at is id like the mpxt after the minimag. would this be ok as a third plane.
regards,
dave

Dave,

I think if you master the MiniMag you should be fine with the MPXT. Just remember though that the MM is a high wing, flat bottom dihedral airfoil and the MPXT is a mid wing symmetrical non-dihedral airfoil.

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: Crawf_

regards,
dave

Dave,

I think if you master the MiniMag you should be fine with the MPXT. Just remember though that the MM is a high wing, flat bottom dihedral airfoil and the MPXT is a mid wing symmetrical non-dihedral airfoil.

Cheers,
Crawf
Hooly dooly.... I just re-read what I typed and I'm starting to scare myself....
[:@]
Old 05-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Crawf_

Don't mind me, I'm just passing time until the start of the Monaco F1 Grand Prix....

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Pijuvwy

What, there's motor racing on tonight? What time, what channel? Do I have time to fly my FMS before it starts? Since I got the eSky controller, I'm really enjoying practicing on the sim when it's wet or windy outside.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 AM
inflex

Hi guys, finally ... my first production runs of the storage/shipping discharger for lipos has been sorted out and produced.

All I have to do now is get the right heatshrink sleeving (clear of course!) and the aluminium heat spreader.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: Pijuvwy

What, there's motor racing on tonight? What time, what channel? Do I have time to fly my FMS before it starts? Since I got the eSky controller, I'm really enjoying practicing on the sim when it's wet or windy outside.

Pij

Yep - Channel 10 at 11.10pm (at lease here in Brisbane)

You've now got about 23 minutes to FMS before the start

Cheers,
Crawf
Old 05-27-2007, 08:17 AM
ozrcboy

Hi Dave,

MPXT is actually low wing methinks, but what Crawf said is basically right. Will be a very different plane.

Could you transition from MM to MPXT - maybe. Apart from all the things Crawf mentioned the other thing is that being balsa/ply this is basically a no-mistakes aircraft (well, no mistakes at less than 1 mistake high anyway 8-). She will be tough enough to handle an imperfect landing (I mean imperfect, not crash) but that will be about it.

Fly you MM - fly the pants of it. Once you have a sense for 4 channel flying, and good control instincts you will probably have a sense for yourself of whether a MPXT would suit.

Cheers,
Oz.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:42 PM
clovus

Dave,

You and maiden are the same, always asking "does it have unlimited vertical?". Cracks me up. I can understand you're reasoning about going for equipment that will work in other planes But, I wouldn't go the 480. It's just more then you need. I think from memory this is what it was producing on a 10 x 7 APC e prop= 17amps WOT @150w. Thats the 910kV motor. The 1000 kV pulls more. The 450 is designed for the MPXT,slots right in. Sometimes its the sum of the whole that is more important then the parts (the gestalt principle) and the MPXT flies well on the 450 (from what I've read).

The MPXT is a easy plane to fly, but one mistake and you cartwheel it in and it'd be stuffed. Have lots of fun with the MM instead. At least if you crash its a easy repair and at least you will have something to fly w/o freaking out.

clovus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.