Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Electrafun XP Review/Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 AM
november-whiskey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrafun XP Review/Thread!

Thanks everybody, hoping to fly her again tonight if the wind dies down.

NW
Old 08-16-2007, 09:32 PM
E-SKY_FLYER

Were lucky in melbourne, 3 days of barely any wind at all.
Its awesome for flying
Tell us how u go!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:23 PM
november-whiskey

I'm afraid it hasn't gone at all...yet. It's been a mixture of rain and no wind or wind and no rain. Went up today, attached wings et al, everything ready and suddenly the wind starts up. The good news is that there appears to be a high approaching, so fingers-crossed it'll get up soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

NW
Old 08-24-2007, 03:28 PM
november-whiskey

Finally got flying today. First flight didn't go too bad except the wind caught it and it ditched in a field a short distance away. The second flight went very smoothely and it stayed up for quite a long time... until the prop fell off. The battery ran out during the third one and narrowly missed a ruined cottage.

The repairs suggested worked a treat and there has been no more damage to it (touch wood). After that I think I just mightn't be a very lucky rc pilot!!!

NW
Old 08-26-2007, 04:17 AM
ozchris

just added a himark 2000 brushless inrunner and 25 amp speedy 2000 11. lipo to my electra xp
what a beast snaped the wings first flight
added carbon fiber tubes ok know but need 8 ellastic bands to keep them on
will fly inverted loops
what a difference it made 20 min flight time
cost of upgrade was more then the plane
but when i kill it will put them on next plane
Old 08-26-2007, 05:13 PM
clovus

A cheap upgrade is to power the stock electrafun with a 11.1 1500mAH or so. Judicial throttle control and wing reinforced with packing tape works well. You will eventually burn out the motor, but spee 400 are cheap

clovus
Old 10-31-2007, 02:16 AM
elgreko65

need info to convert electrafun to brushless motor do I use a out runner or in runner motor??? has anyone done this with ease??
Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 AM
joshmcmillan

Hi,

Some people here might know me, some people won't. I purchased my Electrafun XP from Mal's Toy Shop in Taree (I doubt anyone would live near there) for $160. I crashed around 4 or 5 times to start with until getting a couple of minutes in 1 flights. Then after recharging the 2 batteries I got 3 and 4 minutes, and then on my 3rd charge I got 7 minutes. Here is a link to my first flights. It doesn't have any of my good ones, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_XyTItrE8U.

Only parts I've broken is a prop from having it too tight, antenna from hitting it on ground when picking plane up after landing but it still works perfectly, and today I tried to do my 4th flight and it was wet and windy so I hit a privet and put a little 2.5cm crack in the wing which is all taped up with material tape now.

I'd be very interested to here about problems / parts people have broken on there Electrafun XP. Or even parts of someone you knows Electrafun XP.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:14 AM
elgreko65

Is your brushless motor inrunner or outrunner?? thinking of going brushless but want to stick with my 14000 nimh batteries!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:23 PM
clovus

Why do you want to go bushless (BL)? A BL motor is not really needed, you are most likely going to overpower the airplane. It is not designed to take gobfulls of power, but rather aiming for efficiency. More then likely you will fold the wings in half or even bend the plastic motor support/firewall/fuse. The plane simply is not strong enough. If you want longer flying times just upgrade to a lipo. If you want speed or a more aerobatic plane then you have probably improved past the beginner stage and I suggest it is time to upgrade to a different plane. Don't get me wrong, I still have my EF and it comes out when my friends/family show a interest in RC flight.

If you want to try BL then go for a inrunner. With a outrunner the outside part of the motor spins, which will not work too well with the fuse design, without serious surgery. The inrunner is more likely a bolt on part.

clovus
Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 AM
tomtomtom007

Well folks, i have successfully converted my electrafun xp to brushless and lipo and am now getting MORE THAN 1 HOUR OF FLIGHT TIME OFF A SINGLE BATTERY!

Took a little bit of experimenting and i think i've finally perfected the setup.

I did the following... *note* this will change your life.

1 x 1000kv mystery brushless outrunner motor (about 25mm diameter)
1 x 20a brushless speed controller
2 x 2400mah 12c 3cell lipo batteries (each yielding more than 1 hours flight time)
1 x lipo battery charger
1 x 2 litre apple juice plastic bottle lid

Thats the lot...for a total of about $160.

It doesn't take much to set up either....remove the xp brushed motor and speed controller. Connect the new brushless speed controller to your battery connector and the other end to your brushless motor. Plug the speed controller into your radio receiver- you cant go wrong.

Now to reinforce your fuselage, you need to slightly modify the juice lid, which should be the hard plastic type. Drill an appropriate sized hole in the centre (about 8mm, enough to accommodate the motor shaft with some clearance)

The lid will fit snuggly inside the fuselage where the motor used to mount but you'll need to slice off about 5mm off the top of the lid (hard to explain...you'll work it out)

Put the lid inside the fuselage, then your motor. Its a little fiddly, but screw mount the motor just like the old brushless one.....first the plastic disc on the outside, then the plane fuselage, then the drink lid and finally the motor...all should be sandwiched in this order. This setup allows the outrunner to spin inside freely with adequate reinfocement.

Thats it, just press on your propeller, make some room for your lipo in the front (just recline the foam spacer more in the battery area) and i highly recommend reinforcing your wing with a 3x1mm carbon fibre strip because you'll be getting roughly twice the speed in the air and attempting some awesome maneuvers.

The performance is awesome- you'll never look back. I also cut some extra slots where the existing ones are, to cool the setup but i have found that the motor and esc only get mildly warm, and i run it flat out for the whole time!

Trust me, DO THIS! brushed motors and nimh batts are a joke in comparison.

Good luck!
cheers,
tom
Old 11-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Swift427

clovus
If you want longer flying times just upgrade to a lipo. If you want speed or a more aerobatic plane then you have probably improved past the beginner stage and I suggest it is time to upgrade to a different plane.
Ditto! Clovus is right.

If the Electrafun XP still comes with a 370 brushed replace it with the long can brushed motor similar to the one used in the Extrafun XL and consider going lipo. A 11.1v 1250mAh 8C = 0.91" x 1.38" x 2.68" and costs only $18 (2 pack for $34). ([link]http://www.commonsenserc.com/product_info.php?cPath=37_35&products_id=72[/link]). The replacement brushed motor used in the Stryker 27B is only $10.44. However, I've noticed that HZ doesn't advertise the brushed 27B anymore, but I did find it at this site--[link]http://www.parkzone.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=stryker[/link] . You could also use the E-flite EFLM232 long can 400 for $10.44 and remove the pinion. The specs for this Mabuchi FK5202 long can 400 can be viewed at--[link]http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed400.htm[/link] . Unlike the RX/ESC in Aerobird Swift the RX/ESC in the Electrafun XP can't be programmed for an 11.1v lipo with a 9 volt cutoff, so if you go this route you run the danger of discharging your lipo below the recommend 9 volt cutoff.

For $29.00 you get a very noticeable improvement and plenty of zip. You can't run full throttle all the time or you would soon burn out the motor with a 11.1v lipo, but then this beginner plane isn't in the same class as a sport or aerobatic. Still it provides lots of beginner enjoyment while saving $131 ($160-$29=$131) to put toward a 3D aileron like a Typhoon II, flat wing foamy, etc.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Swift427

OPPS, I forgot a couple items. You'll need a Graupner spinner--GR605323 for the 2.3mm motor shaft--$5.30 and a prop like APC 6x4E--LP06040E--$1.89 or Master Airscrew Windsor 6x3E--$2.13. Then you also need an itsy wrench to tighten the spinner setscrew secure on the shaft. That one little wrench costs a few bucks.

Then if you don't yet have a lipo charger with balancer or a blinky balancer that could cost $100. But that expense should be spread over the next few years and the planes you'll be buying--which chances are will be lipo/brushless.

Anyway, instead of $29 figure closer to $44, but that still leaves you $116 ($160-$44=$116) to buy a really good versatile battery charger (Triton, Vision Peak, etc) with monitoring readout.

The Electrafun XP will be like a different airplane with the extra zip from the lipo powered long can 400 brushed motor.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 AM
tomtomtom007

after experiencing 1 hour plus flight times i'll never go back to nimhs and brushed motors. Each to their own, but my conversion was worth every cent. I've done the brushed upgrade and it really didn't work for me.... guess i didn't want to worry about overheating my motor every 5 minutes and melting the chassis or changing another cooked motor, all for a minimal increase.

Lets face it, most days aren't suitable for flying these things, so when i get a good day, i want to make the most of it.

I say do it properly, and you won't have to do it again.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:32 AM
rudes

tomtomtom007 Thanks

I THINK IT IS ALL ABOUT FLIGHT TIMES

Once i looked at the Mystery motor all made sense the shaft being at the end of the motor that mounts to the firewall. The 2 litre cap is to help strengthen the firewall area? Did i get it right. Oh and did i get it right, you cut the 5mm of the open end of the 2 litre cap. Dam i put a 11.1v lipo as a trial on the stock motor what a difference AND FLIGHT TIME MADE MY NECK ACHE, SUCH A GREAT FEELING lol. Chased up the Mystery motor, ESC and batteries just waiting for delivery.

Just saying thanks ahead of time, i think it is going to be the best upgrade yet.

Rudolf
Old 12-23-2007, 05:13 AM
tomtomtom007

You've got it right Rudolf.....but cut 5 mm off the top of the lid- thats so the wing still sits flat across the top (otherwise the top will bow from the shape of the lid) but yes, its just to strengthen the mounting point....it makes it more rigid. And I recently found out that it takes some serious punishment. I was experimenting with barrel rolls, which i can now do easily with the extra punch in this plane, but on this occasion, i stuffed up the controls (maybe got too cocky) and the plane nosedived into hard ground, at full throttle from 20 meters up! whoops! pushed the motor mount in from the inertia of hitting the ground, but i simply pushed it back out and it was fine. The lipo has a slight bend in it from the impact, but survived unscathed.

Some advice, dont run the stock brushed motor with the lipo for too long....the motor will burn out in a hurry, or as a mate of mine found out, the stock speed controller will catch fire!

Be patient with the brushless motor- its worth the wait.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:36 AM
NickQ

How have you guys found the stock charger that comes with the EL kit? I want to upgrade the battery but not if the charger cant handle it.

Cheers

Nick
Old 01-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Pijuvwy

ORIGINAL: Pijuvwy

Based on the T-Hawk, with a few performance changes and a new exterior based on the Skywave, I made an FMS model for the Electrafun. Like to give it a go?

http://www.box.net/shared/87dvbz1249

I just watched a Youtube clip of somebody flying my Electrafun sim on FMS. He ended with a note that he was about to go and buy one. [Edit: Hello Joshua, didn't notice you here.] The clip was
http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?vid...ZLHKcaCxaTLVgJ

So I decided to check if the link still worked. The host has changed things a bit, so now it's at
http://www.box.net/shared/87dvbz1249
or
http://www.box.net/shared/87dvbz1249/rss.xml

Pity my old computer died. It had the improved versions on it. And I can't get FMS to work on my new computer (Vista!). My sim is now ClearviewRC, and I did some work towards making Electrafun all over again. I might get back to it one day...

Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Pijuvwy

ORIGINAL: tomtomtom007

Some advice, dont run the stock brushed motor with the lipo for too long....the motor will burn out in a hurry, or as a mate of mine found out, the stock speed controller will catch fire!
Like another video at http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?vid...WCNu6csbSv8Obo
Old 04-15-2008, 07:26 PM
sculston

Hi Guys, don''t know if this thread is still active, but for what it''s worth, I modified my EF and fitted ailerons to the standard wing. Gives you the option of using the fourth channel. Flying is normal without lateral input and the rate of roll is very gentle when you pluck up the courage to use them. I wont be doing any flick rolls with this setup, but I think it''s a nice easy transition to aileron control. BTW, I used the setup from a wrecked extrafun (you really only need the wing and servo) whole mod took me a couple of hours.
Cheers, Mark
Old 04-16-2008, 04:30 AM
rudes

sculston I did the aileron mod a while ago but check out this motor http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/product_...id=EW2213-1500 with an APC 7x5 with the tips cut off, the APC 6x4 is half the thrust but still fast.

This ESC http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/product_...asp?pid=EW-18A and the XP carries my 2400mah 3''s battery and don''t forget to let go or you will take off with it.

I also replaced the wire that is used for the wheels with slightly thicker wire and bigger wheels. If you dont like the wheels trust me with the power you have it will still take off without them, skidding along on it belly.

Flight time is about 5min the first time because you full throttle it all the time and are just amazed. Next flight as long as you like on one third throttle faster than stock. Extend the elevator and rudder surfaces slightly, do two loops, two rolls, a low pass at full throttle and scare yourself fly inverted take it home in one piece and sleep with it lol.

Don't forget the carbon fibre mod the length of the wing otherwise the first loop you do the wing tips clap together and down she comes.

We also run this setup in the XL so fastttttttt with APC 7x6 prop.

Rudolf
Old 04-26-2008, 10:13 PM
SeaComms

Just stumbled across this thread somehow, so have now wiped the dust off the old Electrafun and resurecting it. It was the earlier 2 channel + switch for motor (not the XP version), but having progressed into helis I now have a Spektrum DX6i. So have just bought a second receiver for it and awaiting to win a new motor and ESC from eBay

In the mean time, does anyone know before I stick the lipo in it if the old ESC with just the switch for motor on/off on the TX is actually a true speed controller? Or did it only allow on/off.

Mind you, this is all because of the missus - she wants to learn to fly

EDIT: Just fired it all up and the old servos are as noisey as hell (electronically noisey). I could pull them apart and clean them, but have some micros left over I removed from my new Blade 400 heli, so will stick them in instead. However - I notice the speed controller will not arm with the spektrum reciever for some reason so I guess that settles it - no flying til new ESC and motor arrives

EDIT 2: I tried a few different combinations and the ESC will not only not fire up, I think it cooked, servos started jittering then drove hard one way so I shut it down! Damn, hope I didnt strip these crappy little eflite servos!
Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 AM
elgreko65

Hi can you send me photos of your mods as i wish to put aelerons on my EL, have recently converted to brushless 1300kv 18amp ESP 11vlt 2400mAh lipo, get one hour flying time, Its a pain in the neck!!!!!! But great Fun!!

Regards nick
Old 05-08-2008, 03:04 AM
sculston

Hi Nick, I'll post some pix tomorrow, but the mod is really easy, I just cannibalised an old Extra-Fun wing (I think they cost around $20AUD) and cut the ailerons out of the E-Fun wing. I used clear packing tape for hinges and double sided foam tape to mount the servo. You need to cut out the rear fuse to clear the pushrods. Don't expect anything like aerobatic performance, but it does tend to tighten/neaten up your turns. I also grabbed the motor and ESC from the Extra and I'm loving the power! All my attempts to shovel a brushless into the E-Fun have come to naught however - too much vibration. Oh well, I'm still having fun.
As I said, I'l post the pix in the AM
Cheers, Mark
Old 05-08-2008, 05:08 AM
elgreko65

Thanks marks
looking forward to seeing them! I did the mods that tom suggested on post 36 36http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4991856/anchors_7470376/mpage_2/key_/anchor/tm.htm# we happen to be good mates we go flying often, and have dog fights. He has a 1000kv motor, I have the 1300kv mine has more balls!! But he has more guts at flying.
Regards
Nick..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.