Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:05 PM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Somegeek - enlighten me Obi Wan - wot the hell is a Spad? Saw the video and it looks fast, how fast? Did you take anything from Stryker technology to the build of this thing ie: weightsaving mods, aerofoil shape, strengthening etc or was it the other way around? does a Spad have to be nitro? Lots of questions, so few answers!!![8D]
Old 07-03-2007, 03:17 PM
tam popo

Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Lord Crit. I've got the TP 2409 12T in pusher mode (option), great motor, 30+oz. thrust o 8x4, 200 Lipo (wow, near vert) But I noticed in pics you published there is a TP Mag8 esc next to the new motor, not the best esc in the world. Why? Cos pilots without digital Tx have multiple problems programming them, and it doesn't say in the instructions. I sent 2 back to Internet Shop who replaced without question cos I wasn't the only one with same problem. Nothing wrong with the other (older?) TP esc's..
After getting damaged Stryker back from tree have started "resurrection". Too much wing tip missing (about 8in.) from one wing and no electrics, but salvaged both servos and carbon rods/elevons etc. Cannibalisation is the name of the game tonight!![>:][>:][>:]
Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 PM
GWARREN2

Hello folks, Ihave a Stryker F27B that I have flown for about a year now. I have always used lipo 2100mah batts and use a standard JR receiver with Jr servo's. Today one of my older typhoons stripped the gearbox, so I pulled the motor and mounted it on my Stryker. It is pulling about 30 amps @ 1/2 throttle static with the stock F27B prop, So I kept the first part of the maiden after the motor installation at 1/2 throttle. About 5 minutes into the flight I momentarily went to full power and the prop just blew up. I cannot find much info on the typhoon motor such as kv's.

Does anyone have an idea about the prop size I can use for this set-up???????

thanks, Glenn Warren
Old 07-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Stryker_Viking

ORIGINAL: GWARREN2

Hello folks, I have a Stryker F27B that I have flown for about a year now. I have always used lipo 2100mah batts and use a standard JR receiver with Jr servo's. Today one of my older typhoons stripped the gearbox, so I pulled the motor and mounted it on my Stryker. It is pulling about 30 amps @ 1/2 throttle static with the stock F27B prop, So I kept the first part of the maiden after the motor installation at 1/2 throttle. About 5 minutes into the flight I momentarily went to full power and the prop just blew up. I cannot find much info on the typhoon motor such as kv's.

Does anyone have an idea about the prop size I can use for this set-up???????

thanks, Glenn Warren
GWARREN2

Wellcome to the Dark Side

That prop must have been damaged or something, and be glad the motor didn't melt down for you...???

The motor used in Typhoon is a Park 400 Brushless Inrunner Motor

Kv is very high - 4200 which is the reason behind the use of gearbox in Typhoon
Gearbox: 6.6:1
Continuous Current: 18A
Maximum Burst Current: 24A (15 sec)
Cells: 6-10 NiCd/NiMh or 2-3 LiPo
Resistance (Ri): .24 ohms
Idle Current (Io): 1.80A @ 10V
20 - 25A Brushless ESC

The resistance is quite high, so if you use it in a direct drive configuration as in your case, then I would suggest you to carefully test out the best size starting with a APC 4.1x4.1 and slowly step up from there (4.5x4.5 - 4.75x4.75 etc.) while paying attention to load and temperature.

I am sure the stock-b prop is way too big for that motor, using that size will kill the motor after a couple of flights...

That motor would work great in a Micro-EDF unit as well...

Let us know your findings, ok

Good luck now
Stryker_Viking

Old 07-03-2007, 08:25 PM
BubbleGum

Viking,

The Typhoon I have is rated at 3700 KV and the gear ratio is 8:1. I am not saying you are wrong, (I am the newbie, after all.) just wondering if the perhaps the hardware has changed over time. Plus the stock prop for the F27B these days is 5x3.

ORIGINAL: Stryker_Viking

GWARREN2

Wellcome to the Dark Side

That prop must have been damaged or something, and be glad the motor didn't melt down for you...???

The motor used in Typhoon is a Park 400 Brushless Inrunner Motor

Kv is very high - 4200 which is the reason behind the use of gearbox in Typhoon
Gearbox: 6.6:1
Continuous Current: 18A
Maximum Burst Current: 24A (15 sec)
Cells: 6-10 NiCd/NiMh or 2-3 LiPo
Resistance (Ri): .24 ohms
Idle Current (Io): 1.80A @ 10V
20 - 25A Brushless ESC

The resistance is quite high, so if you use it in a direct drive configuration as in your case, then I would suggest you to carefully test out the best size starting with a APC 4.1x4.1 and slowly step up from there (4.5x4.5 - 4.75x4.75 etc.) while paying attention to load and temperature.

I am sure the stock-b prop is way too big for that motor, using that size will kill the motor after a couple of flights...

That motor would work great in a Micro-EDF unit as well...

Let us know your findings, ok

Good luck now
Stryker_Viking

Also a follow-up on landing gear search. Thanks for your post on the landing gear.

I am new to this board and not sure if the links will work. But I found much more info over at RCGroups. I find that amusing because over there is where I was told to come here because this forum does have the largest Stryker forum(s).

Here is the only other reference to landing gear I have found from this site (rcuniverse).

“I just tested the landing gear I made for my stryker . I used some aerobird wheels and some light steel wire. I just hot glued them into the fuselage. It rolled very straight and smooth. However, I could not get it to take-off from the landing gear . So I hand launched it and it flew very nicely with the 3 wheels. Landing was great! No more landing in the weeds for me. This plane lands so soft that you dont need a springy landing gear like the aerobird. If anyone can get this plane to take off of a runway I would like to know how they did it.”

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2026500

And here are two more threads with pics from RCGroups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...23&postcount=1

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...61&postcount=1

~Bub
Old 07-03-2007, 08:29 PM
BubbleGum

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Rustye,
Let me be the first to welcome you to the DARK SIDE.

Your Stryker looks great. I did the same with F-27B, but hey .....a twin F-27C is 10 times better.

Please give us full specs as far as
Battery specs
Prop size
Is one motor reversed?
Stock ESC?
Radio, receiver
C.G. location
Any A, V, W, RPM, speed readings that you have.
Weight
How does it turn?

Sorry for all the questions, but you got me way excited....
Yeah, Me too. Can you parallel brushless motors off of one ESC?

~Bub

Old 07-03-2007, 08:34 PM
BubbleGum

Stripped another HS81 servo again [:@]

I don't see why. I been flying my Stryker rather gently. I'll install a pair of HS81 Metal Gear. (How does a $250 plane turns so quickly into a $500 plane?) The stock flaperons are quite stiff. I am off to search the Stryker forums for elevon hinge mods.

~Bub

Old 07-03-2007, 08:39 PM
GWARREN2

Hey, try shortening the main landing gear so the airplane has a 4 -5 degree nose up attitude ( if this doesnt cause a prop clearance problem ). The elevons probably do not have the authority to lift the nose wheel while on the ground.
my 2 cents
Old 07-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Gryphon

Glacier Girl, critterhunter, somegeek,

I feel much honored and yes I will accept and do my best.

When I first read that you wanted me to be the next thread starter, I couldn't stop smiling. I was actually looking around to help find a good replacement. So reading that at about 3 a.m. Eastern time(I think) was a surprise. I knew I would not let you down, but wanted to sleep on it to be 100% sure.

It'll be 4th of July in a few hours and I will start a new thread then. Trying to figure out where to go watch the fireworks on the 4th.

After the start of the thread, I will send a PM to a moderator to add the blue box on top to the new thread, and to close this one.

Note: overnight 25 pages got added to this thread. I guess they made the pages 25% shorter so all of a sudden there were 25 more pages. I didn't put up a post figuring everyone must have noticed.

critter, many thanks for your PM you brought up several great points and I agree with you on each point. Spoken like a great teacher.

somegeek, I hope you drop in often because I could use your help..... Your great documentation finally made me comfortable enough to do wooden Elevons and wooden T.E.

GG......where do I start......I owe almost everything to you...MEGA motors and explanation of "C" ratings on batteries were just the beginning of the help you gave me....and it has not ended yet.

Thank you,
Gryphon
Old 07-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Rustye

Gryphon,
Thanks, I will try to answer your questions the best I can....I'm not too well versed in all the ins and outs of this.

"Your Stryker looks great. I did the same with F-27B, but hey .....a twin F-27C is 10 times better.

Please give us full specs as far as
Battery specs
It is the same battery as what came with it. Basically I used to F27c speed controls and where they plug into the battery, I spliced them together. Then where they plug into the reciever, I spliced them together...it was the only way I could get both motors to run.....

Prop size
It is what came on it, not sure what that is.....

Is one motor reversed?
Nope, but that could be worth looking into....

Stock ESC?
See above, bone stock, just using two of them....

Radio, receiver
Exactly what came with it....

C.G. location
I used the stock cg as the win area hasn't changed.....uh, much. I think it is too tail heavy, so I am going to experiment a little.

Any A, V, W, RPM, speed readings that you have.
I have a radar gun, and will try to get some readings next flight, or one that has little wind so I get accurate reading....

Weight
No idea, but I can weight it...I have a bathroom scale..is that good enough...

How does it turn?
Well, slow, not very good....the faster it goes, the better it flies, at low or mid speed, it tries to stand on its tail....(I'm guessing to tail heavy). Also I really cut the vert stabs so I think that also didn't help, but now I will add wing tips to it....

Funny thing is, I still don't know how it lands as I was setting up for an approach, and like I said, slow is not good, and it stalled while turning on the apporach and flat spun down....it did no damage at all, it was really funny, just floated down - power off - like a leaf...

I'll have to have a bit of a think about that one...

Photos from first flight...I have a short video also, but no idea how to upload that...

Thanks
r
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86886.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	715959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18469.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	715960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57933.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	715961  
Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Gryphon

Rustye,

So if you are using one stock F-27C battery to feed both of those motors that could be a problem.

I'm not so sure of the "C" rating of the F-27C 2200mAH battery, but I think it is like 12C or 13C???

12X2.2=26.4 Amp rating constant

I believe that it has been reported that the F-27C motor draws about 22A constant.
So two of those motors will want to draw about 44A if the voltage does not drop any more compared single motor.

With the two motors drawing from one battery, the voltage will be lower and therefore they will be drawing fewer amps (each making less power/rpm than before).

Even if we say 35+ amp for both, that is still going to be above the 26.4A rating of the battery and can cause it to be damaged and have a shorter life.

***** This battery is not heavy enough to give you correct C.G. balance needed; I don't believe you have enough room to push it forward to get the correct C.G. needed.
I flew with (2) stock 480 brushed motors and I needed either a 4200 battery in front or (2) 2100’s with adapter “Y” cable. Your motor is lighter and you can get away with as little as a 3000 battery if pushed forward.
1) You have two options there: { cut foam as needed to make room, don’t be shy!!! }
A) Get a bigger battery
B) Put in a second (IDENTICAL) battery and run it parallel with the first one.

Parallel means positives connected, same gets done with the negatives.
This gives you the same voltage, but doubles the capacity and AMP rating.

After correcting the battery issue, you will have more power, and your C.G. will be closer to where it needs to be. You might be a little nose heavy, but that will be perfect. Better to be nose heavy than tail heavy.

Keep your speed higher than what you are used to, to avoid stalling, also land at higher speed.

** If and when you get a different radio, you can put one ESC on another ch, do some mixes, and then when you use your rudder input, one motor will then be turning slower than the other one and you can have some rudder control. You will also be able to match the RPM of those motors more precisely at 5 different throttle positions (depending on the radio).

Look at APC E 6X4 prop, they also make that for reverse rotation applications.
They do the same for 5.5X4.5.

To reverse the direction of a brushless motor, just switch any 2 of the 3 wires.
It'll fly better with one motor reversed.

**It has been reported that the stock ESC can handle 6X5.5 prop, but remember that right now you are battery limited.
Doubling your battery right now is worth an easy 5 MPH minimum.

Hope that helps,

Gryphon
Old 07-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Rustye

Gryphon,
Thanks for the info, I'll get a bigger battery, that will help for sure. Also, I'll reverse one motor and see what I get.

I have got the wing tips to add as the stabs are stupid short now....

thanks for all the help....It is Grand Prix of Toronto weekend here this weekend, so it will be next week before I get a chance to try any of this....

regards
r

Old 07-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Gryphon

Hi all,

The new thread has been started and this one will soon be locked.

Here is the link to Part 6:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6069877/tm.htm

Special thanks to somegeek for his great work on this thread.

Gryphon
Old 07-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Mr. Mugen

Thanks a bunch guy's/gals. I learned a ton from this and the other threads. Keep the info coming, Kevin