Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:00 AM
gleebs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

My favorite is the Multiplex Twinjet. But I am too cheap to run two motors and speed controls so I stick with the stryker.

ORIGINAL: Mach62

It is a great looking model; that Hawk. Most realistic foamy jet I have seen to date.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:26 AM
DepronJet

Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

ORIGINAL: Maine_Flyer

hey ray, I emailed himodel about that duff motor, just got a reply and they said it must be a esc compatability problem..LOL .. told them I even used the esc I bought from them, is that compatable? he said I need to have the right timing setting for an outrunner.. I used the high timing setting on the himodel esc. Then of coarse tried both settings and different esc' that I have on hand to no avail.. the motor is defective.. I asked if they were going to send me a new one.. no reply yet..I really hope they come thru cuz I like their products and all has been good until this one showed up.[&o]

have you had any troubles with them?

me thinks they are trying to riggle out of it but bash away and they will replace it,
but they will insist you send the old one back !

i have never had any problems with their ESCs or motors, the ESC are excellent value for money

Ray
Old 11-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Mach62

Have you guys have ever flown your Strykers straight up until they were a little speck and wondered what altitude was gained?

Well I did and today, I got a ZLog in the mail. I took it out for the first flight, zeroed it just before taking off and the following graph shows the results downloaded after the flight. My vision is only 20/30 so I imagine you could go even higher if you have perfect vision.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27025.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	568384  
Old 11-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Gryphon

Mach62,

Way to go buddy.... 1/3 mile, that's great.

So how did you get the graph?, did you down load it to your PC through some kind of cable? What are the costs and unit weight.

Did you ever upgrade the parts that you wanted?

Gryphon
Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Mach62

Hey Gryphon:

That little unit only weights 8 grams and plugs right into the receiver's empty channel. Then you have some software that you download onto the computer and you just hook up the little board via USB and download data that gets graphed by the software.

I got my crazy Mega 15/25/3 and everything but the Jeti controller. So while I wait for that, I decide to blow more money on an FPV system with sony cam, tx, rx, and video goggles. Gotta do it while my eyes are still seeing pretty good.

I got a dream to break the electric flight record for altitude with a Stryker next summer. Must hit 12000 ft with a video downlink. With you guys helping me out on the power system I should be able to climb up at WOT in a few short minutes and glide back down

Peace.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Buggygovroom

What radio for range ? almost 2 and a half miles seems a bit far. Also what video equipment light enough? I bought a very lightweight camera with a LCD handheld receiver and the reception sucks. Its a unit from helihobby.com. If you come across it dont buy it. Its 200 bucks and its value in performance id say 20 bucks. Complete trash.

Im still looking for a good quality video system that is compact... high quality and hopefully under 400 bucks. I have a big enough plane to haul it as long as I can find it.... For now I have a CVS reusable camera. The quality is decent, 30 minutes recording time with zoom and playback with a built in usb interface. Im going to use that for now. Shame I cant view it from the ground.

I also wonder if taking a stryker that high is worthwile. Dont winds increase as well as air density decreases as you gain altitude? It might be a lot harder to climb as you get past 5000 or so and you might run out of juice sooner than you expect. Although that footage would be awesome to see.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:30 PM
321willy

I am looking at getting this system.. looks good. http://www.rangevideo.com/aerial_video.html What is a good fast power setup for the Stryker??
Old 11-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Buggygovroom

I was looking at this site. Their systems seem reasonably priced and with good quality. They also have a headset available.

http://www.2coolrcaircraft.com/dashcam.html
Old 11-28-2006, 10:42 PM
321willy

that looks good also the headgear would be nice..
Old 11-28-2006, 10:48 PM
321willy

Can anyone hwlp me out here.. I would like to upgrade my stryker, I have read a lot of threads and here that the mega motors are popular. I am looking for a good fast power setup. anyone??
Old 11-28-2006, 10:52 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: 321willy

I am looking at getting this system.. looks good. http://www.rangevideo.com/aerial_video.html What is a good fast power setup for the Stryker??
Are you looking to replace your motor/ESC/battery? What's your budget?

Can also do some digging in the previous part 3 and part 4 threads and you'll find a bunch of combos suggested.

somegeek
Old 11-28-2006, 10:54 PM
somegeek

Can anyone hwlp me out here.. I would like to upgrade my stryker, I have read a lot of threads and here that the mega motors are popular. I am looking for a good fast power setup. anyone??
28 minutes between posts?

Have a little patience man - folks will help point you in the right direction - gotta help us out a little and give us an idea of what you're trying to do.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:58 PM
321willy

i can replace everything. maybe $500 or so..
Old 11-28-2006, 11:00 PM
321willy

i have a jr 7202 radio. installed now
Old 11-28-2006, 11:05 PM
somegeek

i can replace everything. maybe $500 or so..
/me points in DepronJet/Gryphon/Buggygovroom's direction...

If you're going for a bullet - the above guys can shed some light as they run some beefy setups. Thinking a 4s to 6s setup? Are you building up a new fuselage? Reinforcing the 27c fuse?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Gryphon

321willy,

Some questions for you? Answer as many as you can...

1) How fast do you want to go? 90, 100, 110, 120, over 120 MPH?
2) is Aerobatic your big requirement or speed would be most important?
3) your budget? $300 $350 $400 $450
4) What ESC do you have now, or does your budget cover a new ESC?
5) What batteries do you have, or does your budget cover battery?
6) max amps you would like to run?
7) max number of lipoly cells you would like to run?
8) Any comments on run time?
9) what is the max number of lipoly cells that your charger can charge, will you buy a new charger if needed?

The more we know about your needs, the better solution we can come up with.
I look forward to your answers.

Have fun
Gryphon

Old 11-28-2006, 11:54 PM
holyschmoley

What's wrong with my f27c?

I've got a beat up f27c that I basically learned how to fly on. I've had at least a dozen or so flights w/ no issues but lost orientation the other day while flying too low and crashed it. It's put back together now and everything seems to work except for the motor. When I power it up, it beeps like it should. However when I throttle it up, the motor only runs for a couple of seconds and at a low speed and then cuts off. I thought it was the motor because after the crash, I tried everything, and the motor kind of skipped a bit and then started to smoke a little. I found out it was cuz only one of the wires came unplugged. It still didn't work right, and I just replaced the motor, but it does the exact same thing.

Any ideas?

This isn't crucial cuz I do have a new stryker I've been waiting to switch to, but I really wanted to run this other one completely into the ground first.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:50 AM
Mach62

Buggy:

I bought that system from Rangevideo.com with the 14dbi patch attenea and a bunch of wide angle lenes. They claim a range of 2km and it should be further straight up. It weighs 62 grams without an independant flight battery.

I think you are right that the winds from 5000 and up are really fierce and the air is less dense so it is harder and harder to climb. But even with the 1880kv motor, the climb rate is 33 ft/sec with naked eye and perhaps more with video flying. I imagine that a more efficient motor/prop combo with at least 4000mah on 3 or 4S could accomplish vertical little faster. About the radio range, I have heard reports of 2 miles horizontal and straight up should be a lot more on 72 mhz.

The guys that broke the record for altitude for an electric plane (noskylimit.com) got to 3.4km so it can be done although arrangements would have to be made with authorities to keep full scale planes away during the attempt. Previous record of 2.2km was done on a 7 pound behemoth with NiCd.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:03 AM
Gryphon

Hey guys I got a call from my friend last night, he said to come over with two of my batteries and a scale.

He has built a Stryker with a Wemotec MINI fan 480 on it.
Motor: MEGA 16/25/1 4800KV
ESC: Castle Creations Phoenix 80

There were no servos installed yet and he had adapted the F-27C mount to accept the MIDI fan with Epoxy and zip ties. Looked solid.

We first used the TP 3800-3S Extreme battery.
Thrust was 2.5 LB, near 80A as I recall.

Next we put on the TP 3300-4S Extreme battery.
Thrust was 3.75 LB, 118A steady, 1500+Watts
(No wonder the 4200-4S prolite battery was not keeping up and cutting out).....

The ESC is rated at 80A, but Castle Creations does say that it is good for 120A, ...... we proved it.

On 3S without being full throttle it was climbing vertical in his room.
Too bad my meter with a built in tach had a dead battery, before it died we checked that both of our gauges were reading the same amps.
Next time, we will take a tach reading.. It must have been 50K-60K, call it 55K for now.
Today I read that the MINI fan is rated for 45,000 RPM. That was my face next to the fan while taking the thrust readings.
I think I will just let him use my meter for a tach reading and I will operate the throttle next time (further away).

He does intend to operate it only on 3S.......( I think he means for now...)

This should be one wicked ride; we will radar it soon after its maiden.

I can't wait,
Gryphon
Old 11-29-2006, 05:18 AM
Gryphon

To BP motor GODS:

What RPM can the 12 & 21 motors turn a APC E 8X6 prop(not SF type)? How much is the thrust? Any 3S or 4S data would be appreciated.

I ask because a friend is asking me and I don't have the data.

Thank you in advance,

Gryphon
Old 11-29-2006, 06:27 AM
bleary

Gryphon,what size and C Lipos are you running in your 6S setup? Had a coupla days solid flying with my Picojet,Funjet and Stryker on 3S and 4S,and I think I need more volts....What mega would you recomend on 4 to 6S? I was going well with my little Aligns,but too much abuse I think,killed one and the other is not so good..The 16/15/4 is still going good though.
Aiming for about 700/800 watts,may need a HV ESC as well....
Got a bit carried away on low flybys,and had to jump out of the way pretty smartly,a flat out dive on the Funjet on 4S,just missed me....100mph in the left kneecap I don't need....will not do that again.
Cheers,
Bleary.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:47 AM
critterhunter

Depends on how much speed you want and money you want to spend. A BP21 with 30 amp speed control will cost you well under $40 and provide good speed but not unlimited vertical. A 2409-12 (12T) will give you unlimited vertical and better speed and still cost you well under $40 with a 30 amp speed control. A 10C 2000ma 3 cell for the BP21 or a 20C 2200ma 3 cell for the 12T. 12T is comparible to some of the Megas speed and power wise.

If you want a higher quality motor then step up to a Mega or one of the other favorites on here. Others will chime in with info on that. What motor have you flown on thus far? If it's a stock B version then I'd start out with the BP21 and then move on to the 12T or something else to get your feet wet. If you plan to upgrade when starting out with the BP21 then buy the 20C packs from the get go so you don't need to upgrade batteries as you move up.

There was a link on Part 4 to some REALLY cheap 20C 2200ma packs by Hextronicks (?) for like $32. Somebody should probably repost that link because you can't beat that price with a stick. (Don't beat lipos...hitting them with a stick is unsafe...)
Old 11-29-2006, 09:51 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: holyschmoley

What's wrong with my f27c?

I've got a beat up f27c that I basically learned how to fly on. I've had at least a dozen or so flights w/ no issues but lost orientation the other day while flying too low and crashed it. It's put back together now and everything seems to work except for the motor. When I power it up, it beeps like it should. However when I throttle it up, the motor only runs for a couple of seconds and at a low speed and then cuts off. I thought it was the motor because after the crash, I tried everything, and the motor kind of skipped a bit and then started to smoke a little. I found out it was cuz only one of the wires came unplugged. It still didn't work right, and I just replaced the motor, but it does the exact same thing.

Any ideas?

This isn't crucial cuz I do have a new stryker I've been waiting to switch to, but I really wanted to run this other one completely into the ground first.
I would suspect you either have a broken connection going to the motor or the ESC is bad.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:54 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

To BP motor GODS:

What RPM can the 12 & 21 motors turn a APC E 8X6 prop(not SF type)? How much is the thrust? Any 3S or 4S data would be appreciated.

I ask because a friend is asking me and I don't have the data.

Thank you in advance,

Gryphon
Gryphon, check that link I provided a page or two back. I think the chart provides RPM data on various prop sizes for the 12T, and you can easily input the BP21 specifications to produce a chart for that. I don't think it's recommended to run the BP21 on a 4 cell but the 12T is raited for it. I also don't think it would be wise to run the BP21 on an 8x6, although I've read of people doing it without issues. The settings can easily be changed to a 4 cell lipo as well and it outputs prop sizes and manufacturer, estimated MPH, etc. Great little link. If you look on there you'll probably already find the BP21 data inputed because I think the site keeps a log of motors.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 AM
holyschmoley

I checked my connections, and they were all good. I thought it was probably the ESC, which I'm not going to replace since it's not worth it on this plane. I went ahead and plugged the receiver into my new Stryker for the 1st time. That's what's broken. It does the exact same thing. The motor runs for a couple seconds and stops.

I'll have to order a new receiver. Looks like a $26 part. Now I've got an extra $50 motor that I had to order online and can't really return. I'll guess I just save it for my eventual building of a stryker from scratch.

Thanks for the PM on this, Gryphon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.