Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Buggygovroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

I was using the same setup as my stryker but the model itself was considerably lighter and more aerodynamic. I miss it already

Im looking into another project now. The only other maiden I have is my f-18... Still waiting on a couple of parts for that though. Maybe next weekend if it isnt to cold.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Mach62

Default RE: F27 STRYKER - Way Past the Limits - Part 5 - Step in to the Dark Side...

It is a great looking model; that Hawk. Most realistic foamy jet I have seen to date.

My next project after powering the Stryker on 6S will be to fly the Stryker with a camera downlink to video goggles and be able to pan the camera with the rudder control on my tx. I did some range testing today on the tx/rx and it appears it will handle 1 mile easily. The video set-up I get will be similar in range. I have seen this done with slow flyers like the Easystar but never on a 70mph Stryker. Should be a blast but have to wait for Santa to bring the whole thing and by then it will be freezing up here and supremely cold at altitude so I may have to wait till spring for this.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:29 AM
Gryphon

somegeek,

More people are going to 6S use, Maybe you should change the title of this thread to Super Dark Side......LOL....

Gryphon
Old 11-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Wastegate

I've just finished modding my Stryker with a 2409-12T, 25A ESC, 7x5 APC and 2200mah 15C batts and the auw came in at 20oz's which really surprised me as I was expecting around 25oz's. No maiden yet but static tests vertically showed a huge amount of lift so vertical should be good. I can't wait for a decent day when it's not 25mph winds or torrential rain. That'll be around April then[]

One question though, I can't find a 7x6APC anywhere so will a cut down 8x6 give the same results or is it not that simple?
Old 11-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Buggygovroom

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

somegeek,

More people are going to 6S use, Maybe you should change the title of this thread to Super Dark Side......LOL....

Gryphon
AND ADDING ROCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Maine_Flyer

yes you can cut it down and it will drop the amps but not as well a the true 7x6... the blades will be wider and thicker on the cut down 8x6 pulling a few more amps then a 7x6 would... you may be able to trip some trailing edge as well to get closer... make sure you balance it well..
Old 11-26-2006, 11:33 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Wastegate

I've just finished modding my Stryker with a 2409-12T, 25A ESC, 7x5 APC and 2200mah 15C batts and the auw came in at 20oz's which really surprised me as I was expecting around 25oz's. No maiden yet but static tests vertically showed a huge amount of lift so vertical should be good. I can't wait for a decent day when it's not 25mph winds or torrential rain. That'll be around April then[]

One question though, I can't find a 7x6APC anywhere so will a cut down 8x6 give the same results or is it not that simple?
Sounds like a nice setup, Wastegate! No prop expert but imagine you can cut the prop shorter to reduce load. Does APC make a 7x6 Speed 400 prop?

Got any pics? 20oz is a nice flight weight. Think I've heard folks getting as low as 19oz? Think my flight weight is around 25oz after my repairs. [:@] My next fuse will be lighter for sure.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Buggygovroom

ORIGINAL: Mach62

It is a great looking model; that Hawk. Most realistic foamy jet I have seen to date.

My next project after powering the Stryker on 6S will be to fly the Stryker with a camera downlink to video goggles and be able to pan the camera with the rudder control on my tx. I did some range testing today on the tx/rx and it appears it will handle 1 mile easily. The video set-up I get will be similar in range. I have seen this done with slow flyers like the Easystar but never on a 70mph Stryker. Should be a blast but have to wait for Santa to bring the whole thing and by then it will be freezing up here and supremely cold at altitude so I may have to wait till spring for this.
Forgot to mention.. the balance point on my 6s stryker is just in front of the hand launch holes. That seemed to be the best spot for CG. Not the balance holes but just in front of the bigger holes where it is flat fuse.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:05 PM
DepronJet

the 2409-12T.. is the bell motor or the outrunner version that i stock?

if its the out runner you want to use a APCE 7x5
they dont list a 7x6 APCE but you can get a sports 7x6 from sussex model centre

Ray
Old 11-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Wastegate

I'll get some pics before I crash it! The body is a B variant with no additional strengthening except for Extreme packing tape and has never had a repair. I painted it with JapLac paint which seems to stick as well as anything else I've tried but I'm still surprised at 20oz's! Rx is a micro unit and servos are HS81's. The motor is mounted to an L-shaped bracket screwed to the base of the original mount. Transmitter is a Futaba 6EXA and is superb value for money.

Ray, it's the bell variant that costs Β£10. I'll stick with the 7x5 then. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Buggygovroom

I'll get some pics before I crash it! The body is a B variant with no additional strengthening except for Extreme packing tape and has never had a repair. I painted it with JapLac paint which seems to stick as well as anything else I've tried but I'm still surprised at 20oz's! Rx is a micro unit and servos are HS81's. The motor is mounted to an L-shaped bracket screwed to the base of the original mount. Transmitter is a Futaba 6EXA and is superb value for money.

Ray, it's the bell variant that costs Β£10. I'll stick with the 7x5 then. Thanks.
I have the same tx. I love that transmitter.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:16 PM
critterhunter

You should have put a 30 amp ESC in it, then you could have tried the 8x6 APC E (draws close to 30 amps), but that might be pushing your battery to it's very limit. The 7x7 and 7x7.5 sizes have also been talked about on here but I have yet to get my hands on a few (don't want to cut down a prop). I also am planning to try the 7x6 SF and/or E prop on it so please post your results. I put a 9x4.5 APC E on my homemade foamie Mustang as one of this motor's spec sheets (there are two spec sheets on the web with different information on suggested prop sizes) suggested it for the largest prop size. I also wanted to tame the Mustang's speed down so the 9x4.5 should be a good one for it. Although the maiden didn't go well (tail heavy), the torque this thing had at WOT in your hand was unreal. I believe it's putting out well over two pounds of thrust on that prop. At 20 ounces you should have a real screamer there. I know my 26.7 ounce Stryker build does unlimited vertical on this motor real well and the speed is plenty enough for me. A 7x7 or 7x7.5 should give it more speed but the vertical will suffer a little. Keep us updated!
Old 11-26-2006, 02:37 PM
critterhunter

Hey, check out this link that charts various prop sizes on the 12T motor. All that data is already entered for you and the chart will pop right up. Very cool link to check out various motors/props as well...
http://www.peakeff.com/GraphKIR.aspx...er+Pro+2409-12

Opinions on what you see in this chart for the 12T?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Wastegate

It's the same ESC as mentioned in post 2576 of part 4 so should be good for 30amps especially as it is suspended in the back to allow maximum cooling across both sides of it. Btw the 20oz's is with a little lead on the rear as well. I think I'm going to get some serious wing flutter though.
What amount of elevon throw should I be using? I was thinking about 5mm up and 5mm down.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:26 PM
DepronJet

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

Hey, check out this link that charts various prop sizes on the 12T motor. All that data is already entered for you and the chart will pop right up. Very cool link to check out various motors/props as well...

i tend to use 10 volts max for my calculations unless i am planning to use 3S2P

10.5 volts is only sustained at a 70% draw on 20C ( depending on Manufacturer of packs)

nice tool/site to check prop sizes [8D],

Ray
Old 11-26-2006, 06:40 PM
critterhunter

It's the same ESC as mentioned in post 2576 of part 4 so should be good for 30amps especially as it is suspended in the back to allow maximum cooling across both sides of it. Btw the 20oz's is with a little lead on the rear as well. I think I'm going to get some serious wing flutter though.
What amount of elevon throw should I be using? I was thinking about 5mm up and 5mm down.
Sure, ESCs usually have a burst ability anyway, and as long as you are giving it good airflow you should be OK. Some ESCs also have a thermal shutoff that will kill the motor if the ESC is getting too toasty. Did I read right that you have some lead weight in the back? If the plane is even a good bit nose heavy I wouldn't bother with any weight to get COG perfect. Use can always use some climb trim to compensate. My Strykers are normaly built a good bit nose heavy, up to about a half an inch some times. Doesn't seem to bother the plane. Then again, the closer you get to the COG spot and even just a tiny hair tail heavy the plane will be more agile in the air at certain maneuvers. But, it's risky, get it a little too tail heavy and you've got problems in the air. If you used Extreme strapping tape on it you probably will be OK as far as flutter goes. Run it from wing tip to wing tip real tight and use some 3M 77 spray glue to help the tape stick even better. Only spray it on the tape and not real heavy because it otherwise might eat the foam. Also run the tape from nose to tail on the body and I'd put a few layers under the motor mount to keep it from flexing or chunking foam. Can't help you with the throws. On a maiden I normaly set my highs to what I think lows should be and set the lows to a real mild throw. For me it's more easy to get out of control on a maiden if I've got too much throw than too little. On my 12T Stryker I've settled on lows being around 30% now and highs around 50%. That compares to the BP21 Strykers I used to fly where the lows were about 70% and the highs at close to 100%. This is all using the stock ailerons and the control rod on the top hole on the servo and the bottom on the flap horn.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:42 PM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: DepronJet

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

i tend to use 10 volts max for my calculations unless i am planning to use 3S2P

10.5 volts is only sustained at a 70% draw on 20C ( depending on Manufacturer of packs)

nice tool/site to check prop sizes [8D],

Ray
Ray, I didn't set up the numbers on the 12T on there. Just provided the link to it, but it's good to know what a more realistic setting would be. Does everything else look OK on the parameters?

Kind'a neat to see the MPH estimates for each prop size as well on there. I see there are a few that are "guessed" to be MUCH faster than the 8x6, by about 20 to 30 mph. Then again, as has been said, what prop should be better on paper isn't always true in the air.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:00 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Critter,

I linked some charts from that site in Part 4. They are a nice reference to see what different props can do for you. Kinda what convinced me that APC-E (Speed 400) props are the way to go.

Good stuff!

somegeek
Old 11-26-2006, 08:18 PM
critterhunter

Here's a few pictures of the new camera platform build after scrapping the smaller one. 4" wide by 36" long fuse. I think the fuse height is 5 or 6 inches or so. 7 inch wide by 48" long clark-y wing containing a carbon tube for strength and has been tempered with heat and extreme strapping tape to curve it for maximum stability. Controls are rudder/elevator.

Right now with servos, ESC, motor and prop installed the plane weight is only 17 ounces. That's without the RX, battery, or some tape in strategic areas. Still, with those added and the pocket camcorder (very light) I'm expecting it to be well under 30 ounces. If that holds true she should land at a walking speed.

It's still a work in progress so it isn't too pretty yet. Have to hide the electronics in the fuse and if Gorilla glue isn't sandable then she never will get to be a ten. First time I've worked with the stuff. But hey, either way, I wanted a good aerial platform so looks come second.

Some of the "fine" features to notice are the motor mount made from a fish filter tube and some kind of fish filter 90 degree adaptor at the top. It's very light yet strong. Hope it doesn't look so "fishy" once it's painted. I put a pack of smokes on top of the wing for scale. Still have to figure out how to mount the wing to be removable for transport. Would like to avoid dowl rods/rubberbands and use nylon bolts but how to keep the wing from pulling through or the bolts pulling out of the body? Ideas?

Instead of the sinister dark side laugh you can expect to gawk and just say..."What the heck is that thing?!" On it's off days when it isn't hauling the camcorder or a wireless cam into the air it will be hauling garbage to the dump...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30626.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	567207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55944.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	567208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93448.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	567209  
Old 11-26-2006, 09:16 PM
jhalbur

Can someone post a low cost link to mega 16/15/4 with phoenix esc combo?
thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Gryphon

jhalbur,

http://www.dynamoelectrics.com/detail.aspx?ID=709 with CC25 and free prop adapter

http://www.dynamoelectrics.com/detail.aspx?ID=714 with CC35 and free prop adapter

It would be smart to upgrade to CC45 from CC35 for an extra $17.

If you will ever run more than 4S or even higher Amps then consider asking for the CC60 or CC80 for the combo over the phone.
His name is Randy. Nice guy. (815) 228-7091

Don't forget to ask for bullet connectors and maybe Deans Ultra plugs as well. Not sure what connectors you are using, get whatever works for you along with props.

Have fun
Gryphon

Old 11-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Buggygovroom

I got impatient waiting for a store to open that carried micro switches and found myself bored earlier today.... Well I fired my rockets with a 12v battery... guess I have to go buy more =D
Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 AM
maxamus

hi wastegate

can you give me the name of the paint and where you bought it from ive tried a few methods but have allways returned back to acrylic paint a few pics of your stryker would be great

regards Maxamus
Old 11-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Wastegate

Maxamus, the paint is a self levelling brush on paint called JapLac (by International paints I think). You can get it from B&Q for a few pounds and it seems to stick quite well. I flexed the wings a bit and it didn't crack so I'll have to see how it performs after a few flights. Although it's a brush on paint, the finish is very good with no brush marks at all and a few coats would leave the body perfectly smooth.

[link=http://www.international-paints.co.uk/details.php?productid=110&surfaceid=24]Paint[/link]
Old 11-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Maine_Flyer

hey ray, I emailed himodel about that duff motor, just got a reply and they said it must be a esc compatability problem..LOL .. told them I even used the esc I bought from them, is that compatable? he said I need to have the right timing setting for an outrunner.. I used the high timing setting on the himodel esc. Then of coarse tried both settings and different esc' that I have on hand to no avail.. the motor is defective.. I asked if they were going to send me a new one.. no reply yet..I really hope they come thru cuz I like their products and all has been good until this one showed up.[&o]

have you had any troubles with them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.