Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Bigtone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

I guess we need to take advanatge of this and shop while you can before Horizon hobby pull a My Rc Suply on them also. They read threads to do fine tuning to there products and other. I think that's what busted My RC Suply.[:-]
Old 11-02-2007, 05:03 PM
kereams

No pics of the wreckage. I was so pissed I needed to get to the LHS asap!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:04 PM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

I ordered a PNP T-28 from diversion. It showed up with the top of the shipping box shredded. The inside was a mess - the T-28 box was also shredded and severly damaged. The wing and tail have creases/waves in them from being crushed. Some doofus tried to tape the box back up (probably fedex after destroying it). I never got part of my order either, they said they shipped it but it wasnt in the box. Could of fallen out of the gaping hole for all I know. I am still trying to get it all rectified with them.

I also ordered an eflite P-38 and that came in just fine.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:20 PM
areeves1950

how do you modify
Old 11-02-2007, 05:22 PM
cjg

When someone offers a deal on parkzone or hobbyzone products, don't post the website. The manufacturer monitors these forums and will shut them down because they do not allow their distributors to advertise a lower price.

To modify your posts click the "edit" at the top right of the posting.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:30 PM
areeves1950

hey i am sorry, you got a rookie here....still learning
Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 PM
tcarp

Ok My only complaint......Its too Quite..I can barely hear the thing
Old 11-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Dragonfueled

I agree on the sound , to bad there isnt a noisy prop we could use lol.

That sucks about the crash man. I can assure you though you will be fine once you get sorted out. I never flew an alrion plane either but i found this plane to be very easy to fly.

So far 10 packs through it and still flying awesome.... I did swap out the transmitter bats rite away though. I never trust those cheap batteries
Old 11-02-2007, 07:19 PM
areeves1950

hyperdyne

did you have insurance?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Bigtone

I did the maiden flap flight, that sounds funny[&:]

Ok, after hitting the switch, the plane slowed down quickly while holding the same height. I was even able to come in for a supercub like slow landing at a 45 degree angle and at full thottle it will raise quickly with the flaps down. while in flight I slowed the plane down with the flaps and then I raised them on the edge of a stall, it flew out of it with ease. I didn't fly long because, this hurricaine is still packing some gusty winds down here.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 PM
kereams

Well you will not believe this....Got the second T-28 out to the field to do the distance check and get everything aligned. Right in the middle of all that the servo's started going bazzirk just like the first faulty unit! Damn, my LHS must have gotten a completely bad batch of them. I took the unit to my LHS and demonstrated to them (Only hours after the first one, which I know they thought did that from the crash) how everything was twitching without any input from the Tx. We ended up ripping out the e-flite 25a ESC and replacing it with the exact same one off of his parts wall. Everything fired right up and worked perfect.
Tomorrow....the 2nd maiden voyage! Hopefully this is the end of my bad luck with these.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Dragonfueled

wow I wonder why the esc would cause that. I was guessing reciever.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
kereams

ORIGINAL: Dragonfueled

wow I wonder why the esc would cause that. I was guessing reciever.
The BEC internal to the ESC was also fubar'd. Thus the receiver was not getting proper voltage.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Dragonfueled

huh that stinks. E flite has a great rep I wonder if its something parkzone is doing thats messing with the esc's?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:27 AM
kereams

I noticed that the leads on the e-flite packaged one I was given as a replacement were shorter and of a different type of wire than the original one. They look identical aside from that though. My guess is that Parkzone got the "2nd's" or ones that were not given as strict of quality control to keep the cost down.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:49 PM
cjg

Got my T-28 today. Now if only the wind would die down. I have done a thorough pre flight and range test to 300+ feet. So far so good.

I did notice th fuselage halves are not glued over the place the battery slides in. This may be to flex for the battery? In any case I put a piece of clear plastic packing tape there just in case.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:24 PM
kereams

First Maiden Flight Attempt #3:

Went to my flying field today. Beautiful morning. Did my pre-flight checklist and range check with the wife. Held the plane at WOT for a good minute testing all the control surfaces. Everything seemed great. Tossed her in the air and started actually flying this awesome plane! Well about three minutes into it the plane started acting a little irratic. Upon closer inspection it was because the prop stopped spinning! Luckily this time the receiver still functioned and I was able to glide her in. On a good note she glided in without power from about 150' of altitude with ease. I started checking all the normal stuff and came to the conclusion that the Rx throttle channel died. Crap...three times in two days!
P
I went back the LHS and the owner was less than thrilled to see me walk in with that plane in my hand, again. Long story short we ripped out the ParkZone Rx and gave him the ParkZone Tx to send back to Horizon for credit. For all the hassle he gave me a Spektrum DX6/AR6000/Charger combo (no servo's) and let me keep the LIPO's from the first toasted plane all for an additional $99!

So I am now all set with a brand new off the wall E-Flite 25a ESC, a AR6000 Rx and a DX-6 Tx. I will attempt my 4th maiden flight tomorrow and hopefully it will be perfect and all this chaos will be behind me.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Dragonfueled

ORIGINAL: kereams

First Maiden Flight Attempt #3:

Went to my flying field today. Beautiful morning. Did my pre-flight checklist and range check with the wife. Held the plane at WOT for a good minute testing all the control surfaces. Everything seemed great. Tossed her in the air and started actually flying this awesome plane! Well about three minutes into it the plane started acting a little irratic. Upon closer inspection it was because the prop stopped spinning! Luckily this time the receiver still functioned and I was able to glide her in. On a good note she glided in without power from about 150' of altitude with ease. I started checking all the normal stuff and came to the conclusion that the Rx throttle channel died. Crap...three times in two days!
P
I went back the LHS and the owner was less than thrilled to see me walk in with that plane in my hand, again. Long story short we ripped out the ParkZone Rx and gave him the ParkZone Tx to send back to Horizon for credit. For all the hassle he gave me a Spektrum DX6/AR6000/Charger combo (no servo's) and let me keep the LIPO's from the first toasted plane all for an additional $99!

So I am now all set with a brand new off the wall E-Flite 25a ESC, a AR6000 Rx and a DX-6 Tx. I will attempt my 4th maiden flight tomorrow and hopefully it will be perfect and all this chaos will be behind me.

Man I think you got the plane I was supposed to get. Sounds like something that would happen to me. Anyway once you get it together you are gonna love it. I cant say how much I enjoy this plane,

On a side note I was flying in a little wind the other day when all the sudden it got very gusty, Im talking 15-20 mph. I had just put in a fresh pack so I had time. The little sucker fought that wind and stayed up for a good 4 minutes before I could get a steady headwind to land it. Wide open it was only moving about 5 mph into that wind lol. The guys that were with me were shocked that it stayed up and flew so well in that kinda wind.........So far I love this plane
Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Bigtone

ORIGINAL: Dragonfueled

huh that stinks. E flite has a great rep I wonder if its something parkzone is doing thats messing with the esc's?
Parkzone doesn't have anything to do with that, the blame falls on the peolpe overseas who manufactured it cheaply to save money for E-flite, Parkzone and Horizon hobby. It make you wonder if this is one of the problems causing the plane to be pushed back so many times.[sm=confused.gif]
Old 11-04-2007, 12:05 AM
kereams

The DX6 is my first computer radio. I am a little overwhelmed by all the flexibility and options. I am keeping it simple for now.

Can anyone recommend a percentage value for setting up low rates?
How about a recommendation for a percentage of "Exponential" on both low and high rates?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Dragonfueled

I switched to maxx alrion adjustments today on the lincage and man it rolls nice. Its stays allot straighter in a corkscrew now and reacts very fast to inputs.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 AM
cjg

First flight on stock RTR T-28. My only previous flying experience is a year withe Supercub. I believed I was ready, and I was, BARELY. This is not a beginner plane. I thought I was ready for high rate controls but decided on caution. Glad I did...

Conditions, almost no wind for first two flights.Early morning, sun just coming up.

Flight #1 - took off, nose wheel pulled badly to the left (later adjusted with turnbuckle at the servo connection). Initial impression: very smooth, very fast. Made a few circles of the football field, then tried an approach. It carries a lot farther along on landing than the supercub. Got it down, but had a wing tip drag on the running track. (I covered the wingtips after that with white vinyl tape as chunks of foam tore off.)

Flight #2 - took off, did some nice laps around the field using only ailersons. Got some altitude and did a loop - easy as pie with this power. Then tried a barrel roll. Need to work on that, lost a lot of altitude and attitude of the aircraft. On landing a began a nice easy approach from the clear end of the football field. I was sure that goal post was not in the way! Things happen quicker with this plane that the supercub. As a pilot friend said about faster planes - you always feel it is way out ahead of you. Sure enough, clipped the goal post with the wing. Tore the wing off, tore the plastic battery strap off.

An hour with 5 minute epoxy to replace chunks of foam on the wing root, glue the screw receptical for the wing back in, and glue the esc wire clamp at the front of the battery on. Replugged in all servos, everything fine.

Flight #3 - wind had picked up to gusts of 10+ mph. Did a nice takeoff (now the nose wheel pulls right - need to fine tune that with some taxi tests). got some altitude and the plane quickly flew past the treeline, above the houses, directly into the sun. couldn't see it. Kept cool, pulled back stick, popped up and left out of the sun, did a hammerhead (not intentionally) and zoomed down and to my right just above treeline - almost lost sight of it below trees and above houses. With the sun and distance I couldn't judge attitude very well. BARELY got leveled long enough to do a nice easy turn back toward the field. Made one approach to land into the wind - too high - wave off at about 10 feet. Went around again and did a nice smooth landing into the grass. WHEW. Called it a day.

Lessons:
You need lots of space, it is fast and can get away from you very quickly.

High speeds on landing. Contrary to my SC I realized you "fly" this to the ground with half throttle - level it at about 5 feet, and kill throttle for nice 3 point landing. But it uses much more landing space than the SC.

When you begin to get into trouble try not to panic and throw the sticks around. Stay cool and do what you can to regain control. With the plane altitude (and wide open spaces ) is your friend!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Dragonfueled

awesome first flight congrats. I didnt know there was a turn buckle to correct the front wheel thanks ill adjust it
Old 11-04-2007, 05:33 PM
kereams

1st maiden flight report (well actually fourth maiden...):
She flies awesome! I ran two packs through him and he is an absolute hooot to fly. My wife named him "Fred the Fighter" hehe. I got the DX6 setup very well and she is soooo smooth. I am getting about 11-12 minutes off of the 3S 1800Mah 15C pack.

Here are my settings if anyone is interested:
D/R Hi = 100% and 30% Expo (Ail/Ele/Rud)
D/R Lo = 60% and 25% Expo (Ail/Ele/Rud)
I had to reverse the servo's on Rud/Ail.

This is my first aileron plane and it is, for me, a perfect next step after the Super Cub. I can not say enough about the DX6, what a nice experience!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:53 PM
traxxboy

well looks lize parkzones got a winner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.