Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 PM
S3etigoHide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

I swapped it out for the included spare...same result. I'll try the APC I have on the Super Cub.

Edit... Tried the APC with the same result. However, it looks like the vibration sounded a lot worse than it was because of some slop in the nose gear. I still think that the motor isn't running totally true though.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 AM
WildBlueYawnder

The prop adapter is the problem. The motor shaft is "very slightly" smaller than the diameter of the hole in the prop adapter. At about half throttle you can see the prop hub vibrating and the front of the plane wiggles. If you hold the front of the plane solid (or better yet remove the cowl and hold the motor steady) you should be able to wiggle the prop adapter on the shaft. A new adapter that is the right size should solve it. I have ignored it so far because holding the plane and running the motor isn't the same as the forces generated during flight. I may be sorry in the long run if it turns out to be the cause of Bigtone's problems with the motor.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:35 AM
boomer_214

ORIGINAL: S3etigoHide

Does anyone else have a T-28 that starts to vibrate at about half throttle? It seams to die down at higher throttle levels. I think that my motor shaft might have come bent. []

Thanks
Yes, same here. It occurs just two or three clicks up from 1/2 throttle. Everything is smooth until this point and then the entire airframe shudders violently, until I apply full power and the RPM increases. This first occurred during the 2nd trial run (checking for smoke) of depleting battery, and now ever since...
Prop out of balance ?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Bigtone

When I first got my T-28 I had the same problem. The prop adapter was installed the wrong way from the factory. I then noticed the adapter allen lock bolt was on the round part of the shaft and not on the flat side. This can also could be caused by them not tightening it down enough. This caused the vibration for me, I installed it the right way and it was gone.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 AM
BeavenX5

Bigtone, I would not show your video of the smoking motor to PZ if you are looking for a free replacement. I fried a large brusless motor (Fiegao 540C-8XL) on my 1/8 buggy conversion project because I ran it without any load. As per Castle Creation, they recommended removing the pinion gear to set-up/program the MambaMax ESC but running the motor without any load on made the motor smoke and short. I had to replace a brand new, never ran motor because of this. Lesson learned the hard way...
I am not certain why, but you should never run an electric motor, specially high rev brushless at full throttle, without any load on them. I understand having the prop on and holding the motor in your hand can also be dangerous...

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Bigtone

ORIGINAL: BeavenX5

I am not certain why, but you should never run an electric motor, specially high rev brushless at full throttle, without any load on them. I understand having the prop on and holding the motor in your hand can also be dangerous...

Just my 2 cents.
I you read this post [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6607006]ESC and Motor Bad News!!!![/link] you will notice that I stated.

ORIGINAL: BigTone

I then came in for a landing without thinking anything was wrong. I took the plane out yesturday and whille doing the precheck all controlls worked but, the throttle wasn't there. I then took the canopy off and checked the plugs and battery and all seemed well. I tried throttle again and a cracking sound came from the front of the plane. I then smelt smoke and quickly unplugged the battery. I came home and and turned on the video camera and took the plane's motor and ESC out.
Load or not, that motor and ESC was toast, that was less then half throttle on the vid. If any thing the vid, shows a defective product and can be used as weight to help them get their ducks in a line. If the vid doesn't help me, it will help someone down the line.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 AM
BeavenX5

I understand that something was wrong before you ran your test. I just wanted you to avoid getting your warranty refused for the wrong reason by showing them what you did after the appearance of the problem.
Personnally I was told my motor was damaged because of what I did (ran the motor without load) and this is why it is not covered under warranty.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:07 PM
icejay55

hi guys my name is jay and i just got my t28 trojan i am new in this thread i alway been a stryker fan but when i saw the t28 that was it i had to get it
my question i got the rtf because it came with the battery and charger one of my lhs was relocating and he made me an offer if i buy the last plane he would throw an extra battery for free
now after reading all 13 pages should i go ahead and get rid of the original rx & transmitter and use my own or keep it stock. Reason i ask is because i read that some people where having problems with theres i have not maiden mine yet I rather get your opinion

this the is the rx that i have its a jr- r700
and the tx is a xf421ex also jr can i use these electronics instead
Old 11-13-2007, 09:24 PM
kereams

Use your own and fleaBay the stock setup. Thats what I would do.....
Old 11-13-2007, 09:33 PM
S3etigoHide

When I first got my T-28 I had the same problem. The prop adapter was installed the wrong way from the factory. I then noticed the adapter allen lock bolt was on the round part of the shaft and not on the flat side. This can also could be caused by them not tightening it down enough. This caused the vibration for me, I installed it the right way and it was gone.
That seams to be where the issue was. The set screw was on the flat spot, but reassembling the unit greatly reduced the shakes.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:34 PM
icejay55

how about the servos are they ok to use
Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
kereams

ORIGINAL: S3etigoHide

That seams to be where the issue was. The set screw was on the flat spot, but reassembling the unit greatly reduced the shakes.

Thanks!
I was a little board tonight and with all this talk of loose prop adapters I went ahead and did a little inspection on mine. You can not really tell if its loose with the prop on so I pulled the prop and cowl. That set screw was LOOSE! I'm surprised it was still on there and that I wasn't loosing quite a bit of power. I put some blue LocTite on there and snugged it down. Good to go now.

Morale of the story....everyone should check their set screw. [8D]
Old 11-14-2007, 10:03 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, got a new one for you all. I have a small 12 battery charger that I use for car batteries and the motorcycle battery for my RC Glow starter. I hooked the stock lipo charger that came with my T-28 up to the charger to charge the T-28 1800 stock pack. Positive to the nose button and negative to the side contact. It all starts to function when I turn on the 12 charger but after the 3 beeps for the 3 cell lipo the red and green lights flash, red one then green one etc. Then, the lipo charger beeps 10 times and the leds continue to blink one then the other. The lipo does not charge in this configuration but if I just plug the lipo charger into my car cigarette ligher socket everything is great. Any ideas on this?

Now addressing the Rx issues.. I pulled on the connectors that are pluged into the rx from the servos and the whole circuit board inside the case slides around while the case is still anchored solid.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:25 AM
jkcac

Ok I nosed in the trojan due to radio failure. I managed to fix most of it, But, I can't seem to find anyone who knows about the motor so I can get a replacement shaft. any ideas?
Joe
Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 AM
kereams

ORIGINAL: skylane42

Ok, got a new one for you all. I have a small 12 battery charger that I use for car batteries and the motorcycle battery for my RC Glow starter. I hooked the stock lipo charger that came with my T-28 up to the charger to charge the T-28 1800 stock pack. Positive to the nose button and negative to the side contact. It all starts to function when I turn on the 12 charger but after the 3 beeps for the 3 cell lipo the red and green lights flash, red one then green one etc. Then, the lipo charger beeps 10 times and the leds continue to blink one then the other. The lipo does not charge in this configuration but if I just plug the lipo charger into my car cigarette ligher socket everything is great. Any ideas on this?

Now addressing the Rx issues.. I pulled on the connectors that are pluged into the rx from the servos and the whole circuit board inside the case slides around while the case is still anchored solid.
Do not use a charger to provide 12V to a charger. I repeat: Do not use an automotive charger to supply power to another battery charger. Very bad idea. The charger is telling you that its not getting enough current.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines, that is that the 12v charger was not supplying enough juice. I saw on the lipo charger it needs 3 amps.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Bigtone

ORIGINAL: jkcac

Ok I nosed in the trojan due to radio failure. I managed to fix most of it, But, I can't seem to find anyone who knows about the motor so I can get a replacement shaft. any ideas?
Joe
You mite have to call HZ hobby to find out witch one because, the 450 has flat groves in the shaft and the pic of the 480 doesn't.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM1501]Park 480 Shaft [/link] and [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM1401]Park 450 Shaft [/link]

Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 PM
kassun

Here is an update. I am having the following problems with my T-28.

1. On the stock radio and receiver I get no glitches on the ground, but once in the air (50-100 feet away) I am getting glitches with all my servos. (I tried my AMA field, and 2 other locations)
2. I put my futaba radio and receiver in, and now the motor fires up off an on ever few seconds and the servos glitch erratically with no input.
3. If I have no serves plugged in other than the throttle I have no problems. Once I plug in the rudder and elevator they start to glitch and the engine miss fires.
4. I don't have that problem with the stock radio and receiver system, but I have glitches in the air.
5. Both the rudder and elevator servos are digital.
6. I have tried replacing the rudder servo and using my futaba system and still get the glitches when the servo is plugged in.

I have contacted Horizon and they weren't sure what was causing my problems, esc, servos, receiver (but it didn't work with my futaba setup). They told me to ship it back, but at a cost of 40.00 to ship it, I am hoping that someone on this board has had a similar problem and was able to find a solution. If it's just servos it would cost $20.00 to fix and save me 20.00 in shipping costs.

Thanks for your time,
Kassun
Old 11-14-2007, 01:12 PM
icejay55

hi guys can i use my hobbico accu-cycle pro series charger to charge my elfit-e batteries or should i use the charger that came with it
Old 11-14-2007, 01:24 PM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

I have a hobbico accu-cycle elite and I use it to charge my lipo packs. If you want to balance charge, I added the electrifly lipo balancer/charge widget and it works great with the accu-cycle. Now at least I can charge several batts at once.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

BTW, does anyone have any thoughts on whether these retracts will work for the T-28?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/retracts.htm

I would love to add retractable gear to the Trojan...

Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
icejay55

thanks for the info
Old 11-14-2007, 02:08 PM
kereams

ORIGINAL: kassun

Here is an update. I am having the following problems with my T-28.

1. On the stock radio and receiver I get no glitches on the ground, but once in the air (50-100 feet away) I am getting glitches with all my servos. (I tried my AMA field, and 2 other locations)
2. I put my futaba radio and receiver in, and now the motor fires up off an on ever few seconds and the servos glitch erratically with no input.
3. If I have no serves plugged in other than the throttle I have no problems. Once I plug in the rudder and elevator they start to glitch and the engine miss fires.
4. I don't have that problem with the stock radio and receiver system, but I have glitches in the air.
5. Both the rudder and elevator servos are digital.
6. I have tried replacing the rudder servo and using my futaba system and still get the glitches when the servo is plugged in.

I have contacted Horizon and they weren't sure what was causing my problems, esc, servos, receiver (but it didn't work with my futaba setup). They told me to ship it back, but at a cost of 40.00 to ship it, I am hoping that someone on this board has had a similar problem and was able to find a solution. If it's just servos it would cost $20.00 to fix and save me 20.00 in shipping costs.

Thanks for your time,
Kassun
My guess is the BEC is not supplying enough voltage/current. One of the servos is dragging it down or there is an issue with the ESC/BEC. The first thing I would do is hook up a digital volt meter to the + and - posts on the receiver with only the ESC hooked up and see what the voltage is. Should be 5V. Then hook everything up and do the same. Is it 5V? If it is then measure the current between the ESC and Rx. What is it?
OR
If you have another ESC or a stand alone BEC laying around try that out and see if the problem goes away.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 PM
kassun

I pulled everything out of my T-28 and went up to my LHS, ended up pulling 3 of my 4 servos out and replaced them with 3 Eflite S75's and went home. I installed and epoxied all of the 3 new servos (rudder, elevator, aileron) in place and now there are no more glitches. I am reserved from using the stock radio system so I am going to use my futaba system. I called back Horizon and told them what I ended up doing and they are sending me out 2 new digital servos, but i don't think I'll swap out the new Eflite I just put in for them.

Tomorrow I'll bring her up if the snow holds out

I am thinking of getting some small foam cylinders to make scale looking gears.

-Kassun
Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM
areeves1950

I have not ordered a t-28 trojan yet, it seems that reading all the comments the last few weeks it may be a good ideal to wait. maybe horzion will make some changes on the next run. let them get the bugs
out. Does it seem to you guys that there is to many problems with this plane rtf kit?????

areeves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.