Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Bigtone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Thank's, Here's another setup but, he put his servos torward the center of the wing next to the fuselage. I mounted my servos on the other side of the gear mount, just incase I add retracts. [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793512]Depron Dave's setup! [/link]
Old 12-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Lazy8

Hello, I just had to try this plane after reading this thread so I picked one up off E-bay with a burnt motor.
I fabricated a motor mount and had 2 e-flite motors lying around. First I hooked up a park 450 with the stock
battery, flew great, more power than expected. I just bolted on the 1020 KW version of the park 480 with E-flite 20C
2100 mah battery, now has un-limited vertical and 6" take-offs. I will post a pic of the mount later, camera disk is full.
I do love this plane, flies great and takes the wind well!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:55 PM
traxxboy

Just put mine together and battery charging as we speak. Only noteable "defect" was the top of the stabilzer was slightly crushed. Its fine though. Man parkzone has come a long way. Im thinking about starting a t-28 mod thread.(looks and internal). Cant wait to fly it.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:35 PM
traxxboy

just flew it and man this thing is awesome. Took off flew around looped knife edged rolled. outside loop. Easy landings to. Man it is twitchy on high rate. Thank you parkzone.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:27 PM
zestril5

I got the T-28 but it'll probably be a while b4 I'll fly it due to the really lousy weather for flying that we're having here. In the meantime I'm thinking about putting on an X-Port module. This plane seems to be a natural for the combat module especially. I have a circuit board I bought on e-bay for the x-port and the plastic snap-on from a cracked supercub battery cover that will be mounted with velcro under the plane.

When a module is added to the supercub there is no need for any adjustment b4 flying. But I'm wondering whether or not those of you who have flown the t-28 and know what I'm talking about in a sonic combat x-port module think that the T-28 will be adversely effected by the extra weight of the module in the center of the wing bottom? I'm sure the circuit board, cable and module snap-on will have no effect but the module itself>>>??
Old 01-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Blueabyss1

Anyone know if the parkzone 3wsv80 servos will run on 6V with a bec?
Old 01-01-2008, 05:07 PM
S3etigoHide

ORIGINAL: Lazy8

Hello, I just had to try this plane after reading this thread so I picked one up off E-bay with a burnt motor.
I fabricated a motor mount and had 2 e-flite motors lying around. First I hooked up a park 450 with the stock
battery, flew great, more power than expected. I just bolted on the 1020 KW version of the park 480 with E-flite 20C
2100 mah battery, now has un-limited vertical and 6" take-offs. I will post a pic of the mount later, camera disk is full.
I do love this plane, flies great and takes the wind well!

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics!

I have the 1020 custom mounted as well but I haven't flown it yet because I'm waiting on some other parts. Your review of it's performance has me itching to fly it.

What prop are you using?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Zeta30

I was able to get my T-28 out yesterday for the first time since I replaced the RX and TX after glitching problems. This time no glitches at all. The first battery pack went great. It was a little windy, and it really seems to get tossed around in the gusts.

The second pack I noticed a loud vibration when the motor got around 3/4 throttle. Great, now I have a bad motor I was thinking. I landed and all it was is a loose prop adapter. You would think it would have been tightened at the factory. I got home and took it off and there was definitely evidence that there was some Blue lock tight residue around the bolt, so maybe it just was tightened enough. I took the bolt for the prop adapter out, added more lock tight and tightened it again. Now no more vibration. Unfortunately it was way too windy today to fly, 25-30mph.

It definitely is a fun plane to fly especially at the high rate mode.

I also received a FlyCamOne2 in the mail yesterday. I'll be hooking that up to my SuperCub to test it out. My first impressions aren't that great, but I just played a round a little in the house and from what I understand they need quite a bit of light for decent video and photos.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Lazy8

I will try to get a picture up tomorrow night. I used an APC 10x7 and the stock 9x7.5 with the E-flite 480 the best performance was
with the use of the 10x7, but the stock prop was very impressive. I would like to try a 3 blade prop sometime, i had seen a guy on you tube use one with great success with this plane. By the way, my wife is from Calgary, what city are you from??
Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 PM
S3etigoHide

I'm from Calgary myself.

Yeah, I'm thinking a three blade prop might end up being the best compromise between ground clearance and thrust with the 480 on the Trojan. The scale looks don't hurt either!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:58 PM
LouJitsu82

Can this tx/rx be used in other arf's? I was thinking of purchasing the rtf version as i am starting to out grow my j-3 bl. If not, i may get the pnp. Which esc have yall been having good luck with. My dad just got his T-28 and the ESC was bad right out of the box. He was bummed.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:18 AM
kofi1013

Hello,

It depends on how long you have been flying and your skill level but, if I had to do it all over I would have gone with the P-51 Mustang and then on to a T-28. I own all three planes. For me going from the Super Cub to the T-28 was like going from driving a mini van to driving a Corvette @ 150mph. Sure they are both cars but both act very differently. Going from the SC to Mustang is a much smoother tranistion.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 AM
kofi1013

I have a Parkzone zx10 transmitter (5 channels) that I use for my T-28. I just built a P47 Thunderbolt ARF. (3channel no rudder) I used the RX from another T-28. I have two zx10 transmitters both on ch. 19. When building the P47 I used one radio to center the servos. My question is that since both use ch 19 and both planes are warbirds with similar flight characteristics, can I use the same radio for both planes ?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:03 PM
de bong

Hi all...I have only been flying r/c planes for about 6 months and I have my trojan for about 2 weeks now and so far(touch wood) no glitching or problems of any kind except for 1...I have had about 10 successful flights and 1 or 2 hard landing but what I have now noticed is there is alot of play/movement on the wing. At 1 part of the wing towards the front of the plane there is the screw which really does not seem to secure the wing very well. I have tried to re-fit it several times pushing into position hearing a "click" and then I tighten the screw but still it could be tighter...is this normal? also on the other part of the wing that has 2 plastic pegs that go into the fuse seems to have only 1 peg...both pegs were there first day but I suppose my rough landings has snapped 1 of these....Has any1 any suggestions on substituting these pegs with something a bit more robust?

thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Hack73

ORIGINAL: kofi1013

I have a Parkzone zx10 transmitter (5 channels) that I use for my T-28. I just built a P47 Thunderbolt ARF. (3channel no rudder) I used the RX from another T-28. I have two zx10 transmitters both on ch. 19. When building the P47 I used one radio to center the servos. My question is that since both use ch 19 and both planes are warbirds with similar flight characteristics, can I use the same radio for both planes ?
You definitely can! As long as both TX and RX frequencies match, you are good as gold. You can check for sure by powering up each plane individually and seeing if the transmitter is recognized.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:45 PM
skykingtoo

The fuselage on my T-28 is obviously two pieces (brand new). Around the tail on the left side the seam is not very good and in some places not even joined as I can see daylight in the voids.
Is this common?
Old 01-02-2008, 04:56 PM
nerdc0re79

yeah!! esc burnt out and horizon is warrantying it!! and my lhs warrantied the burnt one also.showed them how slow my motor spinning and all the sudden esc smoked up . told my LHS "seeing is believing " .... free esc cant beat that
Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Lazy8

S3etigoHide,
My wife just informed me that I will not be able to post pic tonight because I will have to download the new software
first, which will take a while. We will be in Calgary in August, will have to go flying sometime we will be in the Mayland
Heights area off Barlow trail.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 PM
S3etigoHide

For sure!

I'm eager to see how other have mounted other motors. I keep wondering if I should start from scratch again.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 AM
_mike_

Hey Guys,

Currently own a stock Supercub running a 3s 1500mah lipo which ive had ~50 flights on (not a single fatality *knock wood*) and am having an absolute ball, lots of inverted flight, outside rolls etc etc. Have other 3channel plans, helis cars etc etc but nothing with aerilons (cub is my favourite toy).

My brother just bought a T28 and flew it whilst i wasnt there, crashing twice (not realising he had it in high rate mode), breaking the fuse, bending the motor shaft etc etc. I was going to buy a T28 very shortly but i've scored this damaged one for nothing which i'll repair with new parts. My question is do i need the aerilons??? My cub is set on maximum throws for the elevator and rudder & I love the way the plane behaves. The planes are similar size with the t28 being a little longer and heavier but the surface areas of both the elevator and rudder are very identical. If i set these to higher throws + with the swtich in high mode would this be sufficient? Has anyone tried this?

Have flown a styker C which ended in disaster. I was going to try not using the aerilons in flight once i bought a new t28 but since i have to fix this t28 up im curious be4 i fly how it will perform.

thanx
Mike
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 AM
RCHubbub

ORIGINAL: _mike_

Hey Guys,

Currently own a stock Supercub running a 3s 1500mah lipo which ive had ~50 flights on (not a single fatality *knock wood*) and am having an absolute ball, lots of inverted flight, outside rolls etc etc. Have other 3channel plans, helis cars etc etc but nothing with aerilons (cub is my favourite toy).

My brother just bought a T28 and flew it whilst i wasnt there, crashing twice (not realising he had it in high rate mode), breaking the fuse, bending the motor shaft etc etc. I was going to buy a T28 very shortly but i've scored this damaged one for nothing which i'll repair with new parts. My question is do i need the aerilons??? My cub is set on maximum throws for the elevator and rudder & I love the way the plane behaves. The planes are similar size with the t28 being a little longer and heavier but the surface areas of both the elevator and rudder are very identical. If i set these to higher throws + with the swtich in high mode would this be sufficient? Has anyone tried this?

Have flown a styker C which ended in disaster. I was going to try not using the aerilons in flight once i bought a new t28 but since i have to fix this t28 up im curious be4 i fly how it will perform.

thanx
Mike

I haven't specifically tried to fly the T-28 with rudder and elevator only, but I don't think it would be satisfactory. There are important differences between the Supercub (which I also have) and the T-28. The Supercub is a slow, high wing plane with a lot of dihedral in the wings. The Supercub is designed to not have need for ailerons. This is not true for the T-28. Though it does have a good amount of dihedral, it is still a low wing plane and will not have the self-righting characteristics, which is required to fly without ailerons.

I think you have enough experience for the T-28 to fly with ailerons. For now, just use the right stick to fly it like you do the Supercub. Its flight maneuvers will be very similar with just using aileron and elevator.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:01 AM
_mike_

Thanx for the reply.

Yeh i love how the cub 'self rights' itself

Mike
Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
dwilt72

Got the Trojan for Christmas...MAN is it a sweet flying plane! MUCH more powerful and smoother than the Super Cub and it seems to me like it handles the wind much better also. The only drawback is that it seems to take FOREVER for the battery to charge....going today to buy a 2nd battery.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 AM
BeavenX5

Well, after a 3 weeks waiting period I finally got a new motor mount for the T-28 and got to do its maiden flight - take two...
Fist maiden flight was 1 month ago and ended in a small crash after 30 seconds out of control because of windy condition and too small of a park. Take two (last week) was at the cottage on the frozen lake: no wind and lots of room.

Well the T-28 is a big step from the Super Cub. The fist minute of flight was a bit scary since my only experience with ailerons was on the G4 Simulator. The T-28 is amaizingly fast and agile compared to the SC. The plane went out far and in altitude very fast and it became hard to judge its direction. It took me about 1 minute to get a hold on the controls..., I then reduced to 1/2 throttle, adjusted the elevator trim (center of gravity was too forward because of battery position) and started to enjoy it.... I landed it a few minutes later, pushed the battery forward and lauched it again.

What a great plane. Fast, agile, very long run time (18 minutes at 1/2 throttle with 2100mAh). I flew it all day that day (December 27th) and flew 9 full batteries on the T-28 and 8 batteries on the SC with my son. My 10 year old son even flew it alone.

Since it is winter here, I fly the T-28 without landing gear. Hand lauch and belly landing on the snow. The SC has skis and the cool drop module.

The next day, I flew 2 batteries before the ESC went in smoke right after installing the 3rd one. The motor and ESC had plenty of time to cool down from previous flight so this was not the cause... I got a new E-Flite 25A ESC from my LHS the same day (had to pay for it) and he will return it to Horizon to see if I can get it credited...

I flew my T-28 every day during the Xmass Holidays, even in snow storms and moderate wind. What a blast this plane is. I can now handle full speed and high rate.

BTW I did not have a single radio glitch in over 30 flights. I was at the cottage with probably no possible interference from other sources.

Quick Thread Jack:
Mike: Did you have to modify anything (other than openning the battery box) to fly you SC on the 3S lipo? I would love to use my batteries from the T-28 (2X 2100mAh and 1 stock 1800mAh) in the SC. Plus I have the feeling that the floats I got for the SC will require more power than the 9.6v NiMH supplies to realy enjoy the SC.
Is there a jumper on the SC ESC for lipo cut-off point?
thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
iheartmpls

ORIGINAL: hyperdyne

I just replaced the motor mount and the motor to get a bit more umpphh out of the plane. Thrust angle should be the exact same. Also trashed the stock ESC as I dont trust those 25A eflite rejects.

Hey Hyperdyne, what ESC are you using in place of the 25A eflite? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.