Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM
sundance58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

thanks for advise i will flare out early when landing i normally wait till touchdown i probly should flare right before touching

how you like that pilot not bad but the animal rights people will try and boycot our hobby now,LOL

sundance58
Old 07-29-2009, 11:52 PM
rcbartra

Glad you guys liked it....I thought it would be funny to put Skeeper there after watching all his fying skills. Funnier thing is, there's a Guy a my field that has this old, I mean, very old plane that reminds me of the one in the movie, It probably weights 25 Lbs and it's powered by a 2 stroke .90. Every time He brings it, he spends 1/2 hour adjusting the engine before flight ....That thing is so underpowered that barely makes it over the trees at the end of the runway.....and when she lands is a big celebration!!!! I guess you have to be there....
Old 08-01-2009, 06:19 AM
tomdiebomb

That is sweet RCBarta!

Well just an update. I reckon I have about forty flights on this bird and fly at high rates now, and still getting a kick out of every minute. I have pretty much got all the moves down except knife edge, which I will attempt to do tonight. I have just read up on it and I guess you just go left aileron to 90° then right rudder or vice versa. Does anyone mix for knife edge on the Trojan or is that not necessary? Any other tips for K-E? By the way, my T-28 is beat to holy heaven and still flies like a dream lol. It is really unbelievable how much punishment that thing can take and still fly like its right out of the box.
And inverted flight on this thing is so much fun! I stayed inverted today for a whole battery I like it that much. It actually has very good gliding characteristics while inverted.

What is really fun is flying inverted, then nose her up like you're going to do an inverted loop, but instead stall her into a hammerhead, then right back to inverted in the opposite direction. Looks nifty too!

Edit...here is a video my wife shot last week and just got around to posting on Youtube...
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Viw_JJKSE-U]T-28 Vid[/link]
Old 08-01-2009, 09:58 AM
BEAR-AvHistory

The new USAF T-28D with the Corsair prop & 2-3/8 wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47148.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1247745  
Old 08-01-2009, 10:12 AM
AKCRASH

tomdiebomb,
Nice vid looks like a pretty sweet flying field too! I also cant believe how much of a beating this plane can take and still fly like its new. I have been having some landing gear issues and had converted mine to a taildragger, so much more fun to land then the stock setup, at least on grass. But due to a main gear failure I made one flight with out gear and belly landed in the grass, then immediately had an aileron servo strip out on landing. Have you had any problems with servo damage from belly landings?
Old 08-01-2009, 11:34 AM
tomdiebomb

Bear that looks sick! That is the one I wanted but I couldn't wait lol. I ended up getting the red and white one hehe.

AK- I have about 40+ batteries in it now without landing gear, so at least 45+ belly landings with absolutely no problems with the servos. This is in low grass and 6-10 inch grass as well at the smaller field I fly at when the gliders are out. I finally got my servo arms from Hobby City so I could put the landing gear back on, but I like it so much without! I had broken that steering-knuckle on my maiden flight, hence the belly-landings...

The flying field is a dream It is actually a full-sized glider runway and we have rights to it whenever they aren't out. Just no nitro, but I don't do nitro so it is perfect. They only fly on the weekends too, so basically every night I can go out and burn a few packs. Plus it is only six minutes away

I have had to replace the props perhaps more often than normal, because they do tend to lose their balance a bit after fifteen or so belly-landings. I have also taped the belly with packing tape to keep it from getting muddied up. So far no probs to report, except like I said the props need replacing a bit more often...

Happy landings!!!

EDITRCBarta, I posted your hand-launching tip on you tube. Credit given to you of course )) I still use it every time I launch...
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJiuYOblZFs]Hand Launcing Tip[/link]
Old 08-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Bad Maxx

ORIGINAL: BEAR-AvHistory

The new USAF T-28D with the Corsair prop & 2-3/8 wheels.
Nice looking plane BEAR! I really like the look of that 3-blade prop on there.

ORIGINAL: tomdiebomb

Well just an update. I reckon I have about forty flights on this bird and fly at high rates now, and still getting a kick out of every minute. I have pretty much got all the moves down except knife edge, which I will attempt to do tonight. I have just read up on it and I guess you just go left aileron to 90° then right rudder or vice versa. Does anyone mix for knife edge on the Trojan or is that not necessary? Any other tips for K-E? By the way, my T-28 is beat to holy heaven and still flies like a dream lol. It is really unbelievable how much punishment that thing can take and still fly like its right out of the box.
And inverted flight on this thing is so much fun! I stayed inverted today for a whole battery I like it that much. It actually has very good gliding characteristics while inverted.

What is really fun is flying inverted, then nose her up like you're going to do an inverted loop, but instead stall her into a hammerhead, then right back to inverted in the opposite direction. Looks nifty too!

Edit...here is a video my wife shot last week and just got around to posting on Youtube...
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Viw_JJKSE-U]T-28 Vid[/link]
Another great video! You're flying like a Pro now! Such a great area to fly too, I am still amazed how much that whole area is like the Upper Mississippi Valley and surrounding areas. I am hoping to get out myself soon but we have had a very windy/stormy couple of weeks here. It is always great to see other people's videos though, hope to see more from you!
Old 08-01-2009, 02:57 PM
teryn1
My Feedback: (77)

anybody have any techniques/tips for cutting the foam properly to make flaps? I am afraid that I will turn the wing into a mess...
Thanks,
Teryn
Old 08-01-2009, 03:21 PM
BEAR-AvHistory

The prop slows the plane down a bit, but nothing major.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:51 AM
tomdiebomb

Thanks for the comments Bad Maxx! I am still enjoying this plane immensely. Out of curiosity, I looked at where I live sits on the latitude, and it actually is up there with Southern Canada, or the northern Plains states (about 47°). Curious that our Winter here is so mild compared to theirs. I have a buddy who lives in Milwaukee, and our Winter looks like the Bahamas compared to what they have to endure.

@AK- Don't toss those servos yet. You can just open it up and turn the gear wheel so that the chipped tooth from the gear is out of the servos drive range. Voila, you have a new servo. I saw a video on exactly how to do it, but I will be darned if I can find it. If I find it I will add it to an edit.

//Tom
Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Bad Maxx

Thanks for the comments Bad Maxx! I am still enjoying this plane immensely. Out of curiosity, I looked at where I live sits on the latitude, and it actually is up there with Southern Canada, or the northern Plains states (about 47°). Curious that our Winter here is so mild compared to theirs. I have a buddy who lives in Milwaukee, and our Winter looks like the Bahamas compared to what they have to endure.

//Tom
LOL yeah I live on the opposite side of Wisconsin, (actually about 45 miles from St. Paul/Minneapolis Minnesota for a reference,) and our winters are colder than Milwaukee in general. We sit at 45 degrees latitude. Milwaukee (43 degrees lat.) seems to benefit from the "warmth" of Lake Michigan (and they are south of us). And I think the ocean currents and jet streams have a lot to do with the difference in your temperatures and say Canada at the same latitude. It is not uncommon for us to hit -30 F in the winter and +97 F in the summer so we have wild swings in temperatures from season to season.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:24 PM
rcbartra

Looks really nice, bear.
You just gotta handle that plane carefully, I'll probably show every single ding due to the colored foam.

We're having crappy weather lately, so skipper's gotta wait to take the t28 up...[8D]
Old 08-02-2009, 02:43 PM
BEAR-AvHistory

ORIGINAL: rcbartra

Looks really nice, bear.
You just gotta handle that plane carefully, I'll probably show every single ding due to the colored foam.

We're having crappy weather lately, so skipper's gotta wait to take the t28 up...[8D]
Looks to be made from silver colored foam because the whole inside is the same color. My PZ F4U-4 is white foam sprayed blue that shows its dings so maybe they learned something from that.

The good news on the Corsair is you can airbrush it with Testors paint & get an exact color match.

My granddaughter is big on the penguins & gave me one my SPAD. When she found out that it might fall out she asked about putting it in the T-28 "under the cover". I showed her your picture of Skeeper & she liked it a lot.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 PM
tomdiebomb

Here is a battery mod I did, check out post 730.

[link=http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39286&page=30]Mod with pics, post 730[/link]

Also, the lastest flying video. Have fun!
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjeGCJLuCkE]Some fun flying[/link]
Old 08-04-2009, 02:03 AM
Bad Maxx

GREAT video! Although I can't believe the audio has been stripped already, I have seen some videos up for years with music added without license! Must be the new snooper software scouring the internet for injustice and happiness everywhere... How much flight time do you get with that battery?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 AM
rcbartra

That is a good move, having that foam the same color as the outside will keep dings hidden [
"Dings happen" I remember closing the house door on my first trojan (ouch !!!) little bit of glue and "problema solved".
Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 PM
tomdiebomb

ORIGINAL: Bad Maxx

GREAT video! Although I can't believe the audio has been stripped already, I have seen some videos up for years with music added without license! Must be the new snooper software scouring the internet for injustice and happiness everywhere... How much flight time do you get with that battery?
Hey Maxx, thanks! Yeah, I can't believe it. It wont let me swap the tone out with one of theirs either. Kind of annoying. Somehow I don't think Van Halen would complain lol.
I time the batteries at 10:00 of pretty agressive flying and come home with 3.7-3.9V/Cell left. I have gone over because I forgot to start the timer, but I have never gone to LVC. If in doubt, I just land. I have gotten 12 minutes with some slow laps in between and some inverted hovering, but I usually like to fly fast and acrobatic. I am not sure about the quality of the batteries though, they are my first 2200Mah Lipos, so I have nothing to benchmark them against. I got the PnP version so I didn't get a1800Mah battery with it to compare either.
Maybe I will just delete the video and add another with a "legal" soundtrack.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
rcbartra

I got a couple of name brand 1800s which are pretty tired from last season, I got my timer on 10 min and they barely make it flying at 1/2 throttle.... If I punch it I hear the pulsing after a couple of seconds.....
No problems with my cheappys 2200s....plenty of power and long lastings flights.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 PM
rcbartra

Here is a battery mod I did, check out post 730.

[link=http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39286&page=30]Mod with pics, post 730[/link]

Also, the lastest flying video. Have fun!
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjeGCJLuCkE]Some fun flying[/link]
Looks like you made a lot of progress since your first flight....Those rolls look pretty quick too. Did you change the aileron servo settings or the position of the linkages on the servo arms?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 PM
tomdiebomb

Thanks Rc! Nice to know about the 2200's, looks like mine are about right on par I guess.
The only thing I changed was the rudder for Knife Edge flights, it is on the innermost hole. Someone on YT just gave me the tip to use elevator to keep the KE going straight, and I practiced that last night wit a measure of success. The Ailerons/elevator are still on the outer hole, but I intend to change them this weekend. Can't wait to see what kind of rolls I get out of her then!
Happy flying!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:42 AM
lmstech

stupid question since I have been flying for 4 years , but I am totally confused with the specs for control surface throws. ARe they from nuetral to one end or end to end? The new t28d said 3/8" for low rate aileron, the factory says that the total end to end is twice that.
I killed my plane on high rates in bad conditions and wanted to knw if I had high rate set to "high" I put it at 1/2" in one direction or 1" total on aileron and the plane was "fast"
also the 2.5 cg seems way off as they say. I flew it with battery as fwd as possible and she flew fine. I have seen others say 1.75 from leading edge which is where I think it is.
tech support was helpess.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 PM
leadtongue

i Just received my t28d last week. It does state in the manual that cog is measured at 2.5 inches back from the leading edge of the wings at 1 inch away from the fuselage. I placed a 2200mah zippy maxflite in it and took it to the flying field. I have only practiced on a sim so i had an "old-timer" take a look at it. He flew it nicely but did say it was a bit nose heavy. that battery needed to be placed back further...almost to where the foam on the underside of the canopy would prevent you from fastening the canopy down cause it would hit the battery. If you want to shove your packs up to the front for a snug fit...cog goes to about 2 Inches...Flying it is always the best indicator....make your judgements on the fly...you will get it to where she flies acceptable to you and thats all that matters. By the way...this old-timer did say before he flew it that it was not a trainer model per se and i should be learning on a high wing model....but he was very impressed how it flew for a low wing...even calling it docile.... also the flight surface control measurements are for one direction only...if its 3/8 then it should move 3/8 in each direction from its neutral position. He dialed in 35-35-20% expo for ail-elev and rud respectively and said it felt best at that setting...i have a dx6i
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54989.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	1253810  
Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 PM
mmn
My Feedback: (4)

I have the Navy version. The manual says 2.5" measured from the LE against the fuse. I had to move the batt back about 1.5" to achieve this. And I had to carve out some of the canopy. I've also seen a slight difference between two different fuses. I've also flown it with the batt all the way forward. Nose heavy but flies good. I think a little forward of 2.5" against the fuse is good for me.

Seems there's a lot of discussion of this in other threads and no real consensus. So as another poster said a couple of posts ago and I'm paraphrasing - fly it....

Regards
Michael
Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
tomdiebomb

ORIGINAL: leadtongue

i Just received my t28d last week. It does state in the manual that cog is measured at 2.5 inches back from the leading edge of the wings at 1 inch away from the fuselage. I placed a 2200mah zippy maxflite in it and took it to the flying field. I have only practiced on a sim so i had an ''old-timer'' take a look at it. He flew it nicely but did say it was a bit nose heavy. that battery needed to be placed back further...almost to where the foam on the underside of the canopy would prevent you from fastening the canopy down cause it would hit the battery. If you want to shove your packs up to the front for a snug fit...cog goes to about 2 Inches...Flying it is always the best indicator....make your judgements on the fly...you will get it to where she flies acceptable to you and thats all that matters. By the way...this old-timer did say before he flew it that it was not a trainer model per se and i should be learning on a high wing model....but he was very impressed how it flew for a low wing...even calling it docile.... also the flight surface control measurements are for one direction only...if its 3/8 then it should move 3/8 in each direction from its neutral position. He dialed in 35-35-20% expo for ail-elev and rud respectively and said it felt best at that setting...i have a dx6i
If this is your first plane, you should use lower rates than 100%. I found the following rates helpful in the beginning:
60-70% on Ail, Rudd, Elev, and 30% Expo on all. This will forgive you oversticking it a bit and make the bird less responsive. At high rates, and with high throws, this bird really jigs.

The plane can get up and dance, and it can also cruise very docilely at half-throttle. You will love it. And the best thing about it, if you wreck it, it glues back together very nicely.

Have fun and happy landings. Oh BTW, I just got my T-28D today (my second T-28), the maiden is tomorrow at sunrise!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 PM
rcbartra

ORIGINAL: leadtongue

i Just received my t28d last week. It does state in the manual that cog is measured at 2.5 inches back from the leading edge of the wings at 1 inch away from the fuselage. I placed a 2200mah zippy maxflite in it and took it to the flying field. I have only practiced on a sim so i had an ''old-timer'' take a look at it. He flew it nicely but did say it was a bit nose heavy. that battery needed to be placed back further...almost to where the foam on the underside of the canopy would prevent you from fastening the canopy down cause it would hit the battery. If you want to shove your packs up to the front for a snug fit...cog goes to about 2 Inches...Flying it is always the best indicator....make your judgements on the fly...you will get it to where she flies acceptable to you and thats all that matters. By the way...this old-timer did say before he flew it that it was not a trainer model per se and i should be learning on a high wing model....but he was very impressed how it flew for a low wing...even calling it docile.... also the flight surface control measurements are for one direction only...if its 3/8 then it should move 3/8 in each direction from its neutral position. He dialed in 35-35-20% expo for ail-elev and rud respectively and said it felt best at that setting...i have a dx6i
If this is your first plane, you should use lower rates than 100%. I found the following rates helpful in the beginning:
60-70% on Ail, Rudd, Elev, and 30% Expo on all. This will forgive you oversticking it a bit and make the bird less responsive. At high rates, and with high throws, this bird really jigs.

The plane can get up and dance, and it can also cruise very docilely at half-throttle. You will love it. And the best thing about it, if you wreck it, it glues back together very nicely.

Have fun and happy landings. Oh BTW, I just got my T-28D today (my second T-28), the maiden is tomorrow at sunrise!
Good luck with the maiden, let us know how that goes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.