Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slo-V

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:39 PM
dude54325
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slo-V

How is the pz slo-v? Approx how fast. I think im going to get one bet im not sure yet. Has anyone flown one. How do they respond. Is it more of a beginner plane or more advanced?
Thanks!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
flyingbear

Default RE: Slo-V

It's a slow flyer for beginners,BUT I found it to be too fragile for learning.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:37 AM
tmackel

Intermediate, The trips for part will frustrate you enough maybe to not pursue the hobby. Its a great/fun plane, but not to learn on.

There is another thread that is devoted to the Slo-V

Check out the Hobby Zone Super Cub. Takes a beating, great for learning.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Leo L

Hi Dude,

Welcome to RC flying!

The Slow-V is a very nice beginner plane due to its slow flying capability. Last summer, after making the mistake of getting the Firebird Freedom for my son to learn to fly with, I then got him the Slow-V. He learned on his own with no problems. I would agree that the plane is a little more fragile than I would have liked, but it flies very nicely once you get it trimmed out. It also requires less space than most other beginner planes due to its slow speed. If you intend to get one, get the optional 7-cell battery right away, set the wing to the forward position and set the transmitter to the high rate setting right away. The low rate setting just doesn't give you enough control of the plane and the stock battery doesn't give you enougfh power to get out of some tricky situations.

HOWEVER, when I bought him the Slow-V, the SuperCub had not been available yet. If I was to buy him a beginner plane today, there is absolutely no doubt that I would buy him the SuperCub. It is a much, much better plane. Easier to learn how to fly, much more damage resistant, and yet with a lot more power for fun as you get better.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:45 AM
DUSTINNEWTON

I have both the SuperCub and Slo-V planes as my beginner planes and both are great. I think that the Slo is a great beginner plane, but I would recommed the SuperCub because you can fly in windier situations that the Slo-V and that give you more experience, more chances to fly, and practice in less than ideal conditions. the SuperCub is a LOT faster though, so be sure to have a very large open area with no obstructions until he gets comfortable enough to fly it from smaller fields. Also, change out the stock SuperCub wheels. I use 1.5" for the main gear and 1" for the tail. This will make takeoffs and landings MUCH, MUCH easier and less stressful. the stock main and tail wheels are way too small for anything but paved areas.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 AM
dude54325
Banned

Just so u guys know, im not a complete beginner. I have about a year experience with rc planes. I have a Pitts 3D brushless and a 3D profile plane. I just wanted to know your opinions because i might get one for a funflier. Im not a newb. OK. Can i do harriers with the slo-v. I can do them with my 3D profile. I can also do split x, rolls, loops, harriers and waterfalls.
Thanks
Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 PM
tmackel

dude,

I think beginner and learner get crossed. "Slow" is misleading to people new to the hobby. As you understand already from your experience........It takes a while to really understand things like wing loading and air speed vs ground speed.

Most of these park flyers are being bought off the shelf by people who are going to teach themselves. Who wants to join a club when you can just go to you neighborhood park or school yard and do it yourself? So many people (including me) learn without the aid of people with experience. As frustrating at times this can be (all the crashes), it still beats having to find a club or field and scheduling time to learn. It's just too easy to go 400 yards down the block and fly at the school yard when ever I feel like it and it is very easy for the entry level to just open the box and go.

For the Slo-V, even with the battery upgrade the acrobatics are very limited. The wings like to shake/flex plenty when I take it inverted. You should probably look at the GWS slow stick where you can select the motor you want to do the flying you desire.

I bought a Slo-v because I did not have a radio and I was not ready for that investment. Now that I have a radio I am not looking at parkzone/hobbyzone products as I increase my hangar. (With the exception of the Centurion).

-Ted
Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Fisher

I agree with tmackel. If you have radio gear already and want a more capable slow flyer then get a Slow-Stick with a brushless motor and Lipo. Or just buy the parts to assemble a Slo-V and go BL/LiPo. Then you can slowly circle the field or go vertical and harrier. As inexpensive as BL motors are now there is little reason not to use one. I learned on a Slo-V and still love it stock with the night flight module on it. But I am now looking at replacing it since my second fuse is cracked and the electronics are fried and I am on my 4th motor.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM
dude54325
Banned

nice lol
Old 08-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Tommyr

ORIGINAL: tmackel

Intermediate, The trips for part will frustrate you enough maybe to not pursue the hobby. Its a great/fun plane, but not to learn on.

There is another thread that is devoted to the Slo-V

Check out the Hobby Zone Super Cub. Takes a beating, great for learning.

The Slo V is NOT a beginner plane. Ask me how I know! I broke the engine mount. I learned on the T-Hawk.

This is me last year after 3 attempts, not too bad!

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1..._Hawk_01-1.flv

I recommend a Super Cub or T-Hawk or Wing Dragon.

Baseball score:

Texas 30, Balt. 3. NO LIE!

All time record breaking score.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:41 AM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: Tommyr

The Slo V is NOT a beginner plane. Ask me how I know! I broke the engine mount. I learned on the T-Hawk.

This is me last year after 3 attempts, not too bad!

I recommend a Super Cub or T-Hawk or Wing Dragon.

Baseball score:

Texas 30, Balt. 3. NO LIE!
The slo-v is a beginner plane, ask me how I know, I learned to fly one all by myself and have now upgraded it to brushless power and can do loops, flick rolls (not pretty) and some sort of inverted flight. At the end of the day it all depends on the pilot, the slo-v was my first plane and as soon as I figured out the correct CG I could fly it easily as it flies slowly, I have also found it to be very resilient in a crash as its so light, I did break the motor mount but only after a radio problem and 60ft dive into some trees, the rest of the plane survived just fine though. One thing that I think makes the slo-v a great beginners plane is the low wing loading, it is so hard to stall this thing and it pretty much lands itself.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:04 PM
tmackel

The Slo-V is selling for $99.00 around here. That is everything you need to fly radio included. beginers tend to buy these panes and are not the first people to think about changing out the motor nor the battery pack. The plane in stock configuration is stall prone for new flyers. It is very fragile and sure landings are not too bad if it is calm.

My brother has a pilots license, flys regularly. He has no RC flying experience. I had my Slo-v up at 25 feet and handed him the controls. It took him about 30 seconds to lose altitude stall and lawn dart the plane (another snapped fuselage). My son wouldn't touch the plane until three weeks ago, because of all the broken part we have replaced. He would only fly our super cub.

If I put a brushless on my Slo-v it would be a completely different plane........but then again I still don't see beginning flyers rushing out to do this type of mod. You are now proclaiming the preformance of the plane with a brushless, when someone is only going to have the plane in stock config?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:10 AM
PaulLee

I had a SloV and kept destroying the frame. I have now gone to the Bug as a park flyer and the IFO for a little wild action. The Bug is a great, durable park flyer that will work in my yard as well.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:18 AM
gt5500

The Slo-V is selling for $99.00 around here. That is everything you need to fly radio included. beginers tend to buy these panes and are not the first people to think about changing out the motor nor the battery pack. The plane in stock configuration is stall prone for new flyers. It is very fragile and sure landings are not too bad if it is calm.

My brother has a pilots license, flys regularly. He has no RC flying experience. I had my Slo-v up at 25 feet and handed him the controls. It took him about 30 seconds to lose altitude stall and lawn dart the plane (another snapped fuselage). My son wouldn't touch the plane until three weeks ago, because of all the broken part we have replaced. He would only fly our super cub.

If I put a brushless on my Slo-v it would be a completely different plane........but then again I still don't see beginning flyers rushing out to do this type of mod. You are now proclaiming the preformance of the plane with a brushless, when someone is only going to have the plane in stock config?
Please learn to read, why is it that whenever someone mentions brushless upgrade everyone starts assuming that the plane does not work in stock from, if you read the post properly you will see that I said I learned to fly with it and then after I had learned I upgraded, I never recommended on the basis that it flies well with a brushless motor. In stock form the plane is only stall prone if you have the wing too far forward if you shove the wing back a bit you will find that it flies just fine. The reason I upgraded the motor was because a) I broke the motor mount in a crash caused by radio failure and b) because I wanted to make the plane climb faster. Yes the plane can be a bit slow to climb as standard but a civic can be a slow car to drive doesn't make it a bad car to learn in in actual fact I have seen people try and learn on a plane that climbs fast and they just stood in fear as their plane dissapeared. The actual point of my post was to highlight the fact that there are many positive reasons to have a slo-v where you were just listing negative points as you couldn't get on with your's. I am not saying that the super cub is no good but I just like people to know that the slo-v is a good plane to learn on also, as for it being fragile again I disagree, yes the plane is very weak to look at yet mine has had a few hard landing and at first when the old thumbs went the wrong way it hit the floor pretty hard yet the only thing I broke was the landing gear mount, which I must add was easily fixed with a zip tie. Please can we try and be a bit more assertive on these forums, unless a plane really is rubbish then don't preach to people that its not any good. And besides how did you manage to let your brother loose 25 feet and crash the plane without re-assuming control? not a very good method of teaching.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 AM
tmackel

ORIGINAL: gt5500
Please learn to read, why is it that whenever someone mentions brushless upgrade everyone starts assuming that the plane does not work in stock from, if you read the post properly you will see that I said I learned to fly with it and then after I had learned I upgraded, I never recommended on the basis that it flies well with a brushless motor. In stock form the plane is only stall prone if you have the wing too far forward if you shove the wing back a bit you will find that it flies just fine. The reason I upgraded the motor was because a) I broke the motor mount in a crash caused by radio failure and b) because I wanted to make the plane climb faster. Yes the plane can be a bit slow to climb as standard but a civic can be a slow car to drive doesn't make it a bad car to learn in in actual fact I have seen people try and learn on a plane that climbs fast and they just stood in fear as their plane dissapeared. The actual point of my post was to highlight the fact that there are many positive reasons to have a slo-v where you were just listing negative points as you couldn't get on with your's. I am not saying that the super cub is no good but I just like people to know that the slo-v is a good plane to learn on also, as for it being fragile again I disagree, yes the plane is very weak to look at yet mine has had a few hard landing and at first when the old thumbs went the wrong way it hit the floor pretty hard yet the only thing I broke was the landing gear mount, which I must add was easily fixed with a zip tie. Please can we try and be a bit more assertive on these forums, unless a plane really is rubbish then don't preach to people that its not any good. And besides how did you manage to let your brother loose 25 feet and crash the plane without re-assuming control? not a very good method of teaching.
I never said the plane does not work in stock form. I few it with the stock battery and no upgrades until very recently. The plane is a great plane for $99.00. I guess where we have a difference of oppinion and not reading skills is that there are quite a few people I have met or read their comments on the boards that will agree that the Slo-V is not a beginner plane. It's about as good a plane and radio system you can get for $99.00. It is fun and I like it.....I just custom painted the replacement wing for mine. My point is that Park Flyers tend to be do-it-yourself types and will typically not join a club. Learn-by-doing. A plane that cannot handle wind well and is prone to stalling (due to pilot skill level), is really not the best plane to suggest to beginners to run out and buy when there are other far better chioces that will offer a smaller learning curve and fewer trips for replacement parts.

-Ted
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 AM
gt5500

I never said the plane does not work in stock form. I few it with the stock battery and no upgrades until very recently. The plane is a great plane for $99.00. I guess where we have a difference of oppinion and not reading skills is that there are quite a few people I have met or read their comments on the boards that will agree that the Slo-V is not a beginner plane. It's about as good a plane and radio system you can get for $99.00. It is fun and I like it.....I just custom painted the replacement wing for mine. My point is that Park Flyers tend to be do-it-yourself types and will typically not join a club. Learn-by-doing. A plane that cannot handle wind well and is prone to stalling (due to pilot skill level), is really not the best plane to suggest to beginners to run out and buy when there are other far better chioces that will offer a smaller learning curve and fewer trips for replacement parts.

-Ted
No this is where my disagreement is, because once again you are saying that the slo-v is not a good beginner plane and yet I have already mentioned that I learned to fly mine without tuition, so if its no good how did I manage that? I am not saying its the best trainer plane out there, you mention a good point it does not like the wind which can limit flying time. As for it being stall prone as I said already this is only if you have the wing a too far forward, the cg needs to be a bit up front. The plane has a very nice easy stall, if you put in too much elevator (all beginners will whatever plane they fly) the nose will come up and then drop sharply but with only a fraction of up elevator it will recover within a couple of feet, many so called trainer planes will drop a wing and spiral or drop the nose so violently that it will take a lot of time to recover. Any plane unless it has a very high power to weight ratio will have limited climbing ability so unless the learner has an instructor they are going to find out about stalls the hard way whatever plane they fly. I think the biggest let down with the slo-v is the instruction manual if it gave better advice on setting the CG I am willing to bet that there would be a lot more people successfully flying them, I still don't understand how people are breaking so many parts? as said the only things I have broken are the motor mount (radio failure caused crash) and the undercarriage mount which was caused by a very hard newbie landing that would probably have broke even the strongest mounts, I have never broken the fuse.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:07 AM
tmackel

ORIGINAL: gt5500
I still don't understand how people are breaking so many parts? as said the only things I have broken are the motor mount (radio failure caused crash) and the undercarriage mount which was caused by a very hard newbie landing that would probably have broke even the strongest mounts, I have never broken the fuse.

First, congratulations if you learned to fly with this plane...terrific! I fly every once in a while with a guy that learned how to fly on a Parkzone Typhoon. There are sme people who pick it up quicker.

The fuse is fragile, what else can I say. There are people that actually jam balsa in the front to strengthen it. My son had a hard landing with the upgraded battery and there is now a crack in our new fuse. Maybe the ground is harder over here in California?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:58 PM
orangercguy

I have a beginner question.................I'll probaly buy the Slo-V or the Super Cub. My concern is about the transmitter controls. Why only one stick? Doesn't this make it harder when I move to other radios and airplanes? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: orangercguy

I have a beginner question.................I'll probaly buy the Slo-V or the Super Cub. My concern is about the transmitter controls. Why only one stick? Doesn't this make it harder when I move to other radios and airplanes? Thanks in advance for any help!
No it doesn't really make it harder or anything. In other "normal" 2 stick radios, the rudder is controlled by the left stick along with the throttle (the slider on the Slo-V's radio). To turn, most planes use ailerons which are on the right stick. At least for me it was no more difficult to fly a "normal" plane after practicing and learning to fly with the Slo-V's stock setup.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:56 PM
chevypower1930

hey everyone... I have about 8 planes now... 5 being nitro but I was wondering on the slo v if ANYONE else just blows through the gear assembly on the motor like i do.. it seems everytime I even tip the ground with the prop the white PLASTIC gear is just torn to peices if I give it power again... i have honestly probably went through 9 now.. its just ridiculous thats the only part i break.. I think parkzone needs to look at this problem...
Old 08-31-2007, 04:26 PM
tmackel

That gear on my plane will side on impact and I have to push it back so it will not have any forward and back play on the shaft. Make sure that you don't have a similar problem as the metal gear will chew it up.

-Ted
Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Tommyr

That gear on my plane will side on impact and I have to push it back so it will not have any forward and back play on the shaft. Make sure that you don't have a similar problem as the metal gear will chew it up.

-Ted

Motor mount is a weak point for sure.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:07 AM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: chevypower1930

hey everyone... I have about 8 planes now... 5 being nitro but I was wondering on the slo v if ANYONE else just blows through the gear assembly on the motor like i do.. it seems everytime I even tip the ground with the prop the white PLASTIC gear is just torn to peices if I give it power again... i have honestly probably went through 9 now.. its just ridiculous thats the only part i break.. I think parkzone needs to look at this problem...
Two things, it is possible that you have some miss-alignment problems or it could be that you are not cutting the power when it hits the ground, the motor mount could be described as weak but any plane where the motor mount is the first thing to hit the ground will break motor mounts. Don't forget this is a light weight plane so parts are going to be weaker because they need to be light but this does have its benefits because the plane is light it doesn't crash as hard. I don't see exactly how you think parkzone will fix the problem? at the end of the day the fault lies with the person constantly hitting the ground. For the record I hit the ground hard on a few occasions and never broke the gear, the mount gave way after hitting a tree from a 50ft dive. Apparently the mount can be made stronger by putting epoxy into the holes below the motor on the mount. Remember to cut the power just before touch down or practice until you can 3 point land!!!!! have fun.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:10 PM
chevypower1930

gt550.. believe me man I can land FINE.... considerin i have liek 5 nitro planes haha... but I understand what your sayin.. i beleive a lot of times i try to pull out of the ground it and when i hit the throttles still engaged, everytime i hit the ground i was doing something stupid (trying to put a camera on the wing) or flying in a small space and just tryin to mess around with it since it IS my little cheap electric haha, but every time it hit the ground i was like a foot off the ground when it goes nose in so i didn't think it would really mess anything up, but then of coruse i throttle back up and "GRIND".. done. but I think im done tring to put digital cameras on there and just stick to taping from the nitros.... thanks yall, I was wondering if maybe ANY metal gears would work on the slo v or a harder plastic....
Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 AM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: chevypower1930

gt550.. believe me man I can land FINE.... considerin i have liek 5 nitro planes haha... but I understand what your sayin.. i beleive a lot of times i try to pull out of the ground it and when i hit the throttles still engaged, everytime i hit the ground i was doing something stupid (trying to put a camera on the wing) or flying in a small space and just tryin to mess around with it since it IS my little cheap electric haha, but every time it hit the ground i was like a foot off the ground when it goes nose in so i didn't think it would really mess anything up, but then of coruse i throttle back up and "GRIND".. done. but I think im done tring to put digital cameras on there and just stick to taping from the nitros.... thanks yall, I was wondering if maybe ANY metal gears would work on the slo v or a harder plastic....
So basically you have said that parkzone should change the design and then openly admitted that you flying the plane with a payloid that it was not intended for? threads like this get a plane bad rep and I don't think its fair. If you wish to use the slo-v as an AP platfrom I think you need to upgrade to a brushless motor and lipo and maybe reinforce the wing, that said I have seen people successfully flying stock slo-v's with a the 5 in 1 camera on board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.