Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow stick Forum!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:45 AM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow stick Forum!!

I finished the wing as per instructions using the new clear plastic insert for dihedral etc.....but its nowhere near as pronounced as my old SS wing!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:49 AM
tam popo

The older wing (no insert and more dihedral) has been great for flying for over one year with no handling problems.....I'm a little worried about the 'new' one.......I'll send pics of all 3 wings together for comparison purposes. Strange!!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 AM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

It will fly better!! I really liked the new wing. Yes it is flatter but it works well. As for the polydihedral. It will just make the SS even more stable.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Gunkel

Added another slow-stick to my hanger after the last one went up in flames! This one has the new wing and after flying it briefly in the wind yesterday, I must say that I like it. My mods are a Axi 2212-26 motor, 11x4.7 prop, Electrifly SS-25 speed control, 11.1 1350mah 3 cell tenergy battery, two hitec HS-55 micro servos, carbon fiber push rods, carbon fiber elevator reinforcements, carbon fiber rudder reinforcements, micro hinges added to the elevator and rudder, and I clipped the wings. Here are a couple of pictures:

Greg

My rc stable including videos:

[link=http://web.mac.com/gunkel04/Site/Home.html]RC Mania...[/link]
Old 02-14-2009, 06:04 PM
ditch it

Does clipping the wings make it more unstable?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Tam, I tossed the plastic insert and used the small tube bend as the diheed, it is much flatter than with the insert. It really flys great and I can loop and even do a roll every once in a while. With the China hobby motor BESC and prop it will actually fly in higher winds than my other SS with the pronounced diheed.
So what I'm saying is if you want to take it out and make it flatter go ahead, it will fly just fine. maybe better!!!!!!

Bob, flying 3 mistakes high.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:27 AM
tam popo

Bob - when I've got the new fuses' finished I'll do full trials with thr 3 SS wings I have. Plus a 64in. balsa wing and an Easystar spare wing I have. I'll let everyone know the results - just need the weather.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:31 AM
tam popo

And the Lord God of all flying proclaimed it would rain for 40 days and 40 nights......Gee, what a great summer we had in Scotland that year!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 06:42 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Tam, that 64 in and the easystar wings ought to make that SS float like a butterfly. Have fun, I can't wait to see your results.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:01 PM
eghershey

I bob'ed the wings on my slow stick and I have to say, it made it 100% more flyable for me. Before, I never knew just what to expect when I flew. Sometimes it was just white knuckles time - other times it just flew perfectly. (I know, I'm blaming the plane and not myself ) But with the bob'ed wing its predictable and will do a 180 degree turn in a 10' circle. I'm now tempted to shorten the wing by cutting an inch off the front leading edge......
Old 02-15-2009, 10:32 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Two questions. Did you reinforce the cut wing?
How do I post pictures here? I just can't figure that out.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Sir Raleigh

Bob, to post attachments, click "Reply" or "Quote" in the upper right corner of the post you want to reply to. That will bring up an edit box. At the bottom of the box there's a link that says "Click here to upload images and files!". Click that link.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:27 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Thank you I think I got it. This is a pic of my 2 SS's. I will mod one of the wings and give it a try.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67120.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1136742  
Old 02-20-2009, 09:26 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Gunkel, can you give me some info on the motor mount on your yellow SS? It looks simple and strong. Is it ? Are you able to bend it to the three degree down and to the right that helps the SS fly better? I have had an aluminum mount that looks somewhat like yours but it was too soft and bent very easy. It broke about the second time it bent. OH, and how did that clipped wing SS fly? I just cut one of my red SS wings like yours and will try to fly in the morning.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
eghershey

ORIGINAL: BobSkyFlynjunky

Two questions. Did you reinforce the cut wing?
How do I post pictures here? I just can't figure that out.
No reinforcement at all. Just made a clean cut from front to back and put a piece of clear packaging tape over the raw edge. I'm not into picture posting, but I'm sure someone can help you with that.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Gunkel

ORIGINAL: BobSkyFlynjunky

Gunkel, can you give me some info on the motor mount on your yellow SS? It looks simple and strong. Is it ? Are you able to bend it to the three degree down and to the right that helps the SS fly better? I have had an aluminum mount that looks somewhat like yours but it was too soft and bent very easy. It broke about the second time it bent. OH, and how did that clipped wing SS fly? I just cut one of my red SS wings like yours and will try to fly in the morning.

Bob, I like these mounts, strong yet pliable enough to bend both horizontal tabs for the right angle, I adjusted the downward thrust angle via the mount it's self onto the stick. Here is a link:

[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/10mm_stick_mount_for_outrunner_motors_2556_prd1.ht m]Stick mount[/link]

This is the 2nd mount that I own as I did not have long term luck with the balsa versions.

The plane fly's very good, responsive to inputs, but still floats like a SS should. In my opinion it handles the "breezes" better as well.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:40 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Thanks for the info on the mount.
Well, today I took the short wing SS out. It was a slight bit windy and the currents up above were going 2 different ways. Anyway, the SS cut through the wind quite nicely and it really did float like a SS should. I wasn't able to put the 3 degrees down and to the right on this mount because I didn't have long enough screws to add the washers to do it. I had to do alot of trimming but it still flew great. It is much more manuverable and turns on a dime. I actually did some rolls using the upper winds to my advantage and was able to fly inverted with much success. It should really be great when I can get the 3 degree factor worked into the plane. A fellow at the flying field came up to me and said that he thought this SS had alerons and was suprized it didn't. That's it for now.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

OK, I'll try this again, got dropped when I tryed to post.
I flew the short wing SS again today and had the 3 degree down and to the right this time. Just one adjustment in the air and it was flying like a bird. I again could loop, roll, and do something called a hammer head. That's what the guys at the field called it. I'll take credit for it.......... It is a dream to fly. I'll try again to post some pics again of the SWSS.

Name:	Qo41004.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	1142279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99853.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1142280  
Old 03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
ZRAT

Added a steerable tail wheel, found one at the LHS that was about the right size and home built the rest, ROG (short grass) at the local soccer field. Flew the plane a few times then threw on the ailerons, I won't be going back to 3-channel...ever!

Name:	Rp44274.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1150604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65778.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1150605  
Old 03-08-2009, 12:41 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Zrat
How about giving us some details on your aileron setup. Let's see some pics. How did you set up the servos and did you use a Y harnes? How long?
I have 2 SS's and want to learn ailerons. Is it best to do on stock wing, or cut wing? What about the diheadrial?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 PM
ZRAT

BobSkyFlynjunky - Sorry, been offline for a while. This is my first SS, next one is still in the box. I built the plane based on the instructions, as well as I could interpret them. Put the 15deg dihedral in with epoxy and covered all surfaces with 3M clear packing tape. Flew it a couple of times but couldn't resit the urge to mod, I used two HS-55's (good luck with them so far and the LHS has them cheap). I used a 6" Y harness and a 6" servo extention to make wing removal easier, I'm running the 72Mhz receiver that came with my JR400S radio. I've seen several posts about NOT using dihedral with ailerons so I'm planning on a flat wing for better inverted control. I have the older SS with the aluminum fuse, the new one has thicker foam wing, not sure what the implications are there. I just cut out where the ailerons were molded into the wing, placed the servos so the linkage rod is directly inline with the throw, traced around the servos and cut holes in the wing, epoxied them in so they are flush with the top surface of the wing (recommend installing the servo arm before gluing in the servo). I haven't attempted a roll, I think a slow lumbering barrel roll at best with the dihedral in, I didn't clip the wing tips either, may try that before building up my other wing. The biggest gain for me was just how much control I have over the plane vs. rudder only for turning, I rarely use the rudder at all now. I didn't notice any appreciable drop in climb rate by adding the two servos, still playing with prop pitch. I've seen a few posts mention increasing the length of the aileron, might be able to get closer to a snap roll with more surface area. I'm no expert, just like to experiment and the SS slope gliders are only $25 at Hobbytown so I'm willing to try again if I mess it up. Here's the only good pic I have, I'll take a couple more and try to get them posted this weekend.

Name:	Ca82339.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1161671  
Old 03-19-2009, 10:57 PM
ZRAT

Correction, the 6" extension was for my ElectroStick. I'm using a 3" Y harness and 3" extension. Here a more pic's, I've got the email notify on so I'll watch for a reply...Zrat

Name:	Li21155.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1161690   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44293.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1161691  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 PM
ZRAT

Couple more pic's, need to resize but this is quicker...Zrat

Name:	Sq46291.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1161695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91297.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1161696  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:33 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Thanks Zrat, looks like an easy mod. I have a cut wing and a stock wing. I'm still trying to decide which one to do the ailerons on. I will be getting an order from Hobby City in about a week with a motor combo and 4 servos, 2 of which will be used for the lucky SS wing that will be used in this mod. I am also bulding an E-Starter at this time and will be looking forward to using both the SS and ES as my aileron trainer planes.
I will really be interested to hear more on how your aileron SS flys.

Thanks Bob
Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM
tam popo

ZRat - thats how I modded my Stick, but with the ends of wing cut off by about 2in. each side. I didn't like it, it made very little difference to my plane and I went back to standard. Each to their own though. Godd luck man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.