Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Slow stick Forum!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow stick Forum!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! IN YA FACE RCUNIVERSE!!!!!!! I BEAT THE SYSTEM!!!!!!! I PROVED MY SUPERIORITY OVER THE MACHINE!!!!!!!! Dumb computer..... So I posted that last post and got a "We are sorry, but....." and I almost punched a hole im my computer screen. Well, I pushed 'Back', copied the whole thing, pushed 'Cancel', went back and replied again and pasted the whole thing in and hit 'Ok'. BANG!!!! No loss of a post!!!!!!! No tearing my hair out!!!!!! No anger!!!! And I feel a sense of empowerment and elation over the fact that I outsmarted a mindless system that has no idea what it's doing!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Wow.... Slow day around here, eh? Nothing new since last night.....

Well, I had a bad experience with the poor little Stick today. Read all about it on the new Badius thread, page 2. I'll copy and paste it later probably.

Page 21! Finally....
Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 PM
ZRAT

Searching for Badius thread, must know!

Have you ever run an EDF on a SS, I 'm waiting for 6mm depron for a parkjet project but keep eyeing this Himax EPF-50 w/HB2415-4100 I have sitting here, may not be able to wait for LHS. I'm thinking hot wire cutting a pod for the top of the wing and moving the elevator up to ~ where the top of the vertical stab. is now, happen to have about 6' of carbon tube begging to be installed on something...???

Zach
Old 04-16-2009, 12:33 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Teenage Pilot 14

One last thing: I'm thinking about a warbird. Could someone point me to a nice one that's not gonna cost a ton? I've been thinking GWS; can anyone offer any advice or tips on my selection? Has to be foam because I want to paint it every other week.
TP............... GWS warbird foamies are pretty docile compared to some of the other kits one can get. the one thing they have going for them is being light. Multiple coats of paint just add weight and will make you have to come in "hotter" just to keep from nosing over. You almost have to fly the plane onto the ground and then cut throttle. I MonoKoted my GWS Corsair and found it did make the plane extremely stronger. Three spirals of death from 60' or so, the third and final time I actually managed to hit the road below the flying field dead center. They just don't come back from that. Not a huge gain in weight but I found it really made the plane much more durable. (Read: lots of nose overs on landings and some cartwheels to boot)
With your skills in the brushless setups just go for something that has about 200W and you will be able to do anything you want on any of those. I was running a Turnigy 2826 1350kv on mine with a 20C 11.1V 1300mAh lipo and got insane power and decent flight times with proper throttle management (usually about 8 minutes)
The SS wing issue.............. I bought a new wing and tail feather set from my LHS for $11. Someone had ordered it and never picked it up. I think they retail for $19.99. Ask your LHS guy to check the price for you, otherwise its probably gonna have to be a Tower Hobbys order and no one likes to pay the $10 shipping unless its a large order.
I also wanted to point out that using duct tape is ok but buy some clear packing tape if you want to "strengthen " your wings. Much much lighter and easily as strong. I covered the wings on my first Estarter and still have not broken a wing on it yet. I have nosed it in a couple times as well as cartwheeled it too and not even a noticable dent in the wings.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69110.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1181363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55910.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1181364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18357.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1181365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18430.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1181366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm76282.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1181367  
Old 04-21-2009, 03:34 PM
NvMike

Where can I buy a replacement wing for a Slow Stick?
Has anyone built a replacement wing? If so is there a link to a DIY wing?
Thanks
MvMike
Old 04-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Teenage Pilot 14

Building you own wing isn't too hard. I did it with no experience at all and it turned out ok. Just get some sheets of balsa and some sticks of balsa and some CA and some covering and figure out the general size, shape, thickness, airfoil, etc that you want. A thicker wing will give you lots of drag, lift, and lower speeds. A thin wing will be faster. Slow Sticks aren't too picky about any of this so almost anything should work.

There are also sites where you can buy equipment to make your own foam wings, and I remember seeing a site where you could buy premade foam wings in several different types.

For a direct replacement just google "Slow Stick wing" and see what comes up.

Arrow- I think I've got my stuff all figured out. I just need to find $100 laying in the street and I'll be good to go!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:33 PM
ZRAT

Steelhead products has foam wing cores, you would need two, here's the link. If you like DIY google up hot wire foam cutters, I'm on my 3rd homebuilt using 2" Dowcor foam from Lowe's, pink would work too but I heard it's more brittle.

Steelhead SS cores:
http://www.steelheadproducts.com/Slowstick.htm

Zrat
Old 04-25-2009, 07:54 PM
NvMike

TeenagePilot and ZRAT, Thanks for your input.
I will try hot wire cutting a set of wings as soon as I can get some foam. I will go to Reno NV in two weeks and pick some up.

Thanks again, NvMike
Old 04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
ZRAT

I made up some plywood jigs in a Clark-Y 15% shape I found on one of the threads and screwed them to a 2X6 the same length as the wing core I wanted, used up a whole 2'x8'x2" sheet before I got one I was happy with, keeping the wire tight enough without it breaking is key. I used a 1 1/2" dia, 38" lenght of PVC pipe, drilled hole ~3/4" in from each end and ran 10" pieces of allthread through then just wrapped 22 gauge wire around one bolt, used the flex in the PVC for tension and use my car battery charger for power, set on 2A it pulls an indicated 5A. Had problems popping the wire the first few times I used it but now have the tension dialed in and have been cutting for several weeks on the same wire. NiCr wire seemed like an unnecessary expense. I've been sanding down the less desirable core I cut while practicing, have one in the air, and two more under construction (Pseudo jetcat EDF 50mm and a Bipe Brushed 400?) Good luck...Zrat
Old 04-26-2009, 01:23 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I happen to have a set of steel head wings. Zrat you will have to ask TP how to get to the correct site. Did I mention that I am giving said wings away?

Tim
Old 05-01-2009, 06:25 PM
trpastor

Hey Guys

As some of you know, my slow stick is on floats. Well it went into the water and I had to get it back out. After doing so, the engine proceeded to spark and catch fire!

Anway, I have a new motor, but the mount melted. It's still attached to the square fuselage rod though. Is there any way, other than cutting it off, to get the mount off? It was put on with the GWS super glue that came with the kit if I recall correctly

Thanks
Tim
Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 PM
BobSkyFlynjunky

Tim, just cut the mount off, it will make the fus just a little shorter but it will still fly great with just a small amount of adjustment to the batt, servos, and other elect gear.

Bob, flying 3 mistakes high.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:02 AM
eghershey

Heres a tip that I'll pass along on this list and also the Super Cub list because I fly both planes.
I've tried various brands of rubber bands from different places and I finally found the ultimate rubber bands to secure the wings onto the fuselage of the planes. Its called the Brites File Bands sold by Office Depot. Its a 7" band used to organize file folders and documents. They are in different colors and a 7" band will easily stretch double its length and is what I'll call a weak band.
For the Stix I use them just like you would any other rubber band.
They show no sign of deterioration from UV rays and you have to really work at it to break one. They don't put so much strain on the wings as to tear the foam.
Really, try them, You'll send me a thank you note I'll bet. <g> Their 50 bands for about 3 dollars and worth every penny. I stocked up on two more packages so I'll never run out and pass them out to others to try and every one I've given them to rave about them.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:05 AM
ZRAT

Scrtach built bipe and "jetcat"

Name:	Mk27604.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1190501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39725.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1190502  
Old 05-02-2009, 01:19 AM
ZRAT

Pic's of the Foam fleet:

Name:	Lj23449.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1190503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89043.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1190504  
Old 05-02-2009, 07:52 AM
tam popo

ZRat - only one word needed pl - Nice pics and planes!!!!
I have 2 new wings for my SS....both made from old (crashed??) EasyStar's. I had to take the middle 6in. section from the wings and add carbon reinforcement then epoxied together. They have lovely foils!!! Will try asap and post the findings.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:56 AM
tam popo

Lats week I put an EasyCub wing on one of my SS (E-max 2822 motor) then handlauched. It went straight up and straight in 10mph wind...it could have handled more!!! It cruised at 300 ft. for 20 minutes on 1300 3S....very stable and far better than the standard wing. Moral of the story is that flat bottome wings (whatever make/plane) handle winds better. Best flights I've ever had, regardless of plane!!!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:43 AM
ZRAT

Thanks Tam, I just can't stop building. How many watts are you running on the 2822Emax? And what size prop? I haven't plugged my new Watt's Up meter in yet but I went through a 1500 3S in about 7min, running a CommonSenseRC E5-L-13/35A ESC and 10x4.7 prop, plane weighs 26oz with the battery, ROG to unlimited vertical in ~2', motor gets pretty warm. Spec sheet says the motor should pull 24A w/ APC10x5E prop for 42oz of thrust.

Zrat
Old 05-02-2009, 12:39 PM
jeremy7768

I think that I might go with the slow stick. I have a reciever and an ecs that came out of a buddies plane the ecs is this one: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPBK7&P=Z
And this is the reciever: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXSHC746&P=Z
I also have the transmitter that goes with these. I would like to use them in order to save money! Would they work with the slow stick?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
eghershey

ZRAT:
Where did you get the plans for the foam built planes? Or did you design them yourself? I've looked all over the internet for scratch build with foam and really couldn't find but a couple of articles with plans. I'd like to build a bi-plane from scratch.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:22 PM
ZRAT

Tactic TSC600 (15A) ESC should work, it doesn't specify Lipo compatibility. I have my speed 400 SS running a C-12 micro brushed ESC and four servos (2 aileron/elev/rudder) it doesn't overheat. That's a 6-CH receiver so you have channels to spare.

Zrat
Old 05-02-2009, 02:32 PM
ZRAT

The bipe (~34" wing span) and "jetcat" (same 34" wing cut in half and added the back sweep cuase it looks cool) are scratch built, just eyeballed the dimensions and I haven't tried to fly either one. The twin boom pusher plans I go off FoamFlyer's website, I'd shorten the boom's an inch or two, have to run a 3S 2200 Lipo for decent CG and it's still a bit tail heavy, found it originally on RCU thread: All Forums >> Electric Aircraft Universe >> Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft. I can take some basic measurements on the bipe if that would help, I'll weight it too, currently has 280 brushed w/ gearbox, c-12micro ESC and 2S/800mAh Lipo, leaning toward Spectrum 6200 receiver and adding a Y harness for dual 2S 800 bat's (increased mAh). I still tend to over do it on the epoxy/tape, could probably shave a couple oz.'s off each of these.

[link=http://grosj.tripod.com/radiocontrol/plane.html]FoamFlyer's RC Airplanes[/link] Thanks to Critterhunter and FoamFlyer

Zrat
Old 05-03-2009, 07:05 AM
tam popo

ZRat and guys - The 2822 (E-Max) is the main motor I use and its approx 125W and about 1200Kv. It swings a 10in prop easily with more than enough thrust. The reason I use E-max is the mount is 4-hole (TowerP is 3) and the wires at the back are more protected than the TPro's....and they are cheaper. E-max here is £4.50 - TowerP is £7!!!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:08 AM
tam popo

Everybody - take a look at your parts bin for wings...its amazing what wings suit the SS, from H/Zone SuperCub to Easystar, and all give better high-wind performance than the SS wing. Nothing wrong with the SS wing but in higher winds a flat bottom i better. Try it guys!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

If you used GWS glue to attach the motor mount to the fuselage, just dunk it in acetone or fingernail polish remover. Couple on minutes and it will soften up the glue and make it to remove the mount.

And for hop up parts, check out www.millenniumrc.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.