RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Badius Owners Club III (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/6371525-badius-owners-club-iii.html)

export! 12-04-2007 11:55 PM

RE: Badius Owners Club III

Shoestring,

Hate to do this to you buddy.....

[link=http://www.darehobby.com/airplanes/airplane-electric-01.htm#shoestring]Click Here[/link]

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 12-04-2007 11:56 PM

I am setting up a couple of lottos as well. It seems that when the dam breaks, we all go.

No reponse on the ca soak. I don't know if that is good or bad. The plane was fun either way.

Tim

nyflyer56 12-05-2007 12:06 AM

Fern,
Thin CA will toughen up the wood, should be fine. You can also use that same trick to toughen up threads in wood such as a servo mount. Insert your self tapping screw. Remove screw, wick some thin ca into the screw hole and let it dry. reinstall screw in the hardened threads.

five-string 12-05-2007 12:06 AM

New day new guess! Yay!

Lootery For Dec 05......#15

nyflyer56 12-05-2007 12:11 AM

Yepper, I better get today's in as well

Dec 5 lotto # 38

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 12-05-2007 12:57 AM

Phil, thanks for the response, maybe that's where i heard that trick before. I had to build a little insert thing as well. Next flight, thursday, maybe.

Lotto# 48

Tim

CaptainRandy 12-05-2007 07:05 AM

Guys, Those Video were really great. Keep em coming

Lotto Fever, Good Luck:D

Stingray69 12-05-2007 07:45 AM

Lotto update:

All previous guesses were wrong.

Keep trying and good luck!

BaldEagel 12-05-2007 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: export!

Shoestring,

Hate to do this to you buddy.....

[link=http://www.darehobby.com/airplanes/airplane-electric-01.htm#shoestring]Click Here[/link]
At least his Avata is related too a F1 racer from the early 1900's mine is just a miss spelt bird.

Mike

Stingray69 12-05-2007 07:48 AM

Congrats Doug on the finished shed. I felt your happiness from your post. Fill her up.

export! 12-05-2007 08:31 AM

Looto for today - #31

Finally getting some snow here. Must be the leftovers from Phil's lake effect.

systim 12-05-2007 08:34 AM

hmmmmmmm

Dec 5
New day new lotto guess....

Plus or minus 13 :):D

Stingray69 12-05-2007 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A friend sent this to me.

It took me all weekend, but I FINALLY got my tree up!

TerryE 12-05-2007 10:17 AM

Number 23 on Captain's Lotto :D:D

Sray; I will sit this one out as I just bought some CA - but THANKS for the lotto anyway!

Terry

ORIGINAL: CaptainRandy

Sray,

I re read your post, and as usual I read it wrong. I get it now:D

Good Luck with the Lotto ladies

This is what y'all need to keep warm this Winter

Scott,

Did you see my posts on the props and amp draws?

Glacier Girl 12-05-2007 10:26 AM

Tim, Had me going there on soaking your stick with CA. [X(]

Good thing I read further.. Anyhow as Phil has said, yes it will work, BUT REMEMBER, soft stick means it breaks first. Hard stick usually means what ever it's attached to wil break first.

It's that way to control losses from crashing. Kinda like the way new cars are designed.

Loubud 12-05-2007 10:45 AM

Lootery guess #23

Dougie,
Yabba dabba dooooooooo!

Fern,
What Phil said. Soak away.

Sray,
I think I need another SS for Elaine. A just in case thing.
OH OH OH. Found the last piece for your box. It was at the "Gotta have it store". Droppped in after the Dr. apt.

Oh, and any plane that has your name on it is a MUST BUY. I didn't want no stinking P-51 but the sucker had my name right on the cowl. MUST BUY.

I didn't want no stinking hotliner sailplane but the sucker had a slew of Family names and things on it. Scorpio (My birth month) Aquila (My Mom's Married name) Speed. (Speed has nothing to do with anything cept I like the stuff...I mean fast stuff) and it was designed and made in Italia. My Step-Dad's home country (Sorta). MUST BUY.

Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Raidentech has Ploats for fifteen bucks. Got mine yesterday. The color on the web page isn't the color you get. Ugly on the web. Good in person. I'm pretty sure this is the one Randy has. His flies fine too.

Stupid med report.
Waist of time. 1st we get the Ohmagawd report. After a few tests, the Heart Dr. says yesterday "We'll see you next year". Said other stuff too. Quit smoking. This test was good, quit smoking, that test was so-so, quit smoking, but ok. Quit smoking. Your heart is fine. Quit smoking. No enlargement or anything. Quit smoking. Your arteries are ok. Quit smoking.
I go from death bed to quit smoking. Ok. I get it. Quit smoking.

I was getting annoyed. For one, Dr's do not like informed question's from some goofball Patient. I tossed a slew of them out there. The Dr. handled them ok except one. I have had a bunch of things go wrong right up to disaster time. Then they go away. HOW COME?
I'll list some. I asked the Dr. about these.

Close to kidney failure.

Oh, when I say "close", I mean exceptionally close to failure or something permanent that is bad. And not limited to kidneys.

Close to kidney failure. Saint Maria monitors it closely. One day...gone. All is well.
Blind. Total dark and then...lights are back on. Led to biopsy and a series of tests.
Exceptional pain. Roaming stuff. Hazy took care of that.
Vertigo. Comes and goes.
Falling out of chairs. Comes and goes.
Walking into walls and stuff. Comes and goes.
Blind. See above.
1/4" away from full blown Diabetic. Built up and got closer and closer and...gone. Not a trace.
Sray, I wish that would happen to your Son. Wake up one day and just GONE.
Blind. Lights off, as is my usual, lights on. No tests this time. An unknown. Known. One day it will be permanent.
Cancer. Had the bone marrow tests and other tests. Can't find it tho I have all the indicators in my blood tests. Went to UCLA to see what they could find. No luck.
Hit Ceders Sinai. No luck.
Hit the Cleveland Clinic. No luck.
The Dr. was a bit shaken with that one. And the best part was this. Only 2 Dr's out of over 25 said to quit smoking. Saint Maria because she just doesn't think it's good for people. Nice honest request.
The Heart Dr. was surprised and said so. Easy answer. I told him that there was no reason for any of the other Dr's to request me to stop smoking as there wasn't any evidence that it was causing harm and none would have known I smoked unless I told them.

This bugged him and he looks over at The ever Gracious Elaine for confirmation. She confirms.
Dr. baffled. He knows the Cleveland Clinic and knows that they would have said Quit Smoking at the slightest evidence of damage to me. Same with Ceders and UCLA.

Tee hee. I get the Stupid Look from the Dr. I suggested to him that he read my Med History. I catch the "might be a good idea look" and tell him it's just a bit over 3 reams of paper.

Dr. visit over.

TerryE 12-05-2007 11:09 AM

Lou;

Sounds like you have a hobby besides R/C.... playing mind games with Dr's. :D

Glad everything is OK for now...must really make you appreciate the times that everything is OK.

We are praying and pulling for you buddy.

Terry

Loubud 12-05-2007 11:31 AM

Terry,
Got better news from the Shrink. He's retiring so I get a new one. Tee hee. I need to think of a new game.

CaptainRandy 12-05-2007 12:50 PM

Lou,

I just yesterday, stripped out my Ploat and it's in the trash bin. Just not enough fun for me right now.

I say Keep Smoking if you enjoy it, and show those Doc's who's the Boss.:D

Good Med report, I think. Hope they find something soon, and Fix it:D

Lou, Had the Glass Air up again this morning, and what can I say but, WOW does she fly great![8D]
Terry,

She's Not up for Lotto:D

Lotto Hint............

One of you guys was only off by a few numbers, or was it a couple, or more than a few, a Gaggle maybe, I forget.:D

Doug,

When all the finishing touches are on the Hanger, get us a Virtual tour of the place.

Loubud 12-05-2007 12:50 PM

Anyone remember what I did to the current Shrink? Keep in mind that I generally don't like 'em.

Yeh Doug. Virtual tour. Hold the camera correctly this time.

Randy,
Only red GlassAirs left. 34 at last count. I'm thinking of getting a red on and using a blue half and a red half for the main wing. I'll get a good fuse this way and the wing repair.:eek:
Gonna get another Ploat? You have all the parts.

Stingray69 12-05-2007 01:13 PM

Hang in there Lou. I think a SS flight out in your front yard would heal you. Do some touch and goes across a few moving cars. Have doggy near by. No one will bother you.

Thunderstones 12-05-2007 01:54 PM

Fern, all -
Here's another thought on using CA to strengthen wood: Years ago, I was building a plane (1/2A profile C/L model) and spilled a drop of thin CA on the side of the fuselage. [sm=eek.gif] Without thinking, I instinctively tried to wipe it off. :eek: Good news and more good news: 1), I didn't get stuck. 2), the CA spread out smooth, and made an almost glossy spot. I sat there staring at it for a minute, trying to think what to do about it. [sm=72_72.gif] After a minute, my fingertip had a good layer of hardened CA on it, which is no big thing, it'll peel off in a few hours. So, I started dripping CA all over the plane and spreading it out with the already contaminated finger. The end result was that the plane (which I still have, 25 years later:D) has a hard, smooth skin on all the balsa. It works out great, as the soft balsa normally dents easily and gets a lot of hangar rash that this one has avoided! The only down side is that the paint doesn't stick quite as well. I have no idea how much weight I added, but as it was thin CA, I don't think it was much.

Export, I'm gonna have to look seriously at that 'shoestring' plane you found! [sm=tongue_smile.gif] Looks like it'd have plenty of room inside for batteries, electronics, and such! Not a bad looking plane, either! I was puzzled about one thing, though. The engine that they reccommended for glow was an OK Cub .0619. [sm=confused.gif] I got into this hobby just about the time glow plugs edged out the old spark engines, and I've never known of the Herkimer tool company making an engine like that. Which is neither here nor there, as I'd definitely go electric!

I have a slightly puffed 1000 mAH battery that I tried freezing. It didn't help much with the puffing, but as it's only slight, I'm still (carefully) using it. I discovered a couple of weeks ago that it's built up more internal resistance, though. It will NOT support an 8A load for more than a few seconds, though that's easily within it's 10C rating. It still runs the home-made motor in my Badius though, so I'll keep using it until it won't support the 3A load I need for that. I suspect that I hurt it by freezing it.[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Keeping a partially charged battery in your fridge is best, but note that your fridge has a possibility of sometimes getting colder than you think. I've found evidence of slight freezing in mine a few times. So, I use the butter compartment for my batteries. it's designed to be a few degrees warmer than the rest of the fridge.

Having read up on the care and feeding of LiPo batteries, I think that a good strategy would be to use larger batteries in the planes, as that way they'll be doing a smaller portion of their C rating to fly the plane. And for sure, I'll charge more slowly from now on, and probably change batteries before hitting the low voltage cutoff. I sure can't afford to buy top-of-the-line batteries and then beat them to death!

TerryE 12-05-2007 02:46 PM

Guys;

Here is a great thread for a full contact combat plane... maybe what you were looking for, for the next fly-in??

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779652

Terry

nyflyer56 12-05-2007 02:47 PM

Scott,
no leftovers here, Still snowing!!! About 20" so far

Fern,
GG is right about balsa, but stay away from the 'hard stick/ soft stick' questions with the wife. :D;)[X(]

Loubud 12-05-2007 02:55 PM

Stones,
A puffy lipo never really recovers very well. Kate tried the freezer trick on some of his and just keeps an eye on them.

I have the Hobbico running but only using it for one lipo at a time till I send it back for fixin or rig up a fan. So far all is well.

What I am doing is cycling the 4 Align lipos before sending them to Phil. I had left them fully charged since the fly in and it seems that cycling them is necessary to correct my error of leaving them charged. Didn't know anything would happen.

So far, the Aligns are doing very well capacity wise. They are currently responding as if they were brand new, which they were just prior to the fly in. I'm using the same strategy I used in the first place. Charge/discharge in increments. After 3 cycles I'll take them up on the SS with Doggy per Sray's suggestion. Should be just fine.

For all you surfers out there in Middle America, we have 10 foot sets at Surfers Point or California Street as some call it. Also have the occasional 18 footers rolling in. A surfers Paradise. It's a very well known sight for surfers World Wide and they are out in force. Should be a few arrests made as the locals think they own the place.

Well???
Does no one recall what I did on my first visit to the Shrink?