Community
Search
Notices
Product Announcements & Manufacturer News If you are a manufacturer or company with relevant news or have a new product announcement you may post it here.

RC Skydiver Plans: Updated III

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 05:04 AM
Roger Q.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Skydiver Plans: Updated III

Charlie: would love a set of plans.
[email protected]
Old 02-02-2003, 07:57 AM
cmsrp

Check this site out!!!! Bob and John have them also...
http://www.mindspring.com/~sanyo1/
I have one myself here in Aus, and it is so much fun!!!!!
Would be interested in the plans too... Are they available yet?????
Old 02-03-2003, 02:41 AM
teefly-RCU

we used to have one years ago at the Delta RC Club in Greenville Ms. he was latex, about 16" tall, and we called him Bruce. failure for his chute to open was a barrel of laughs. hit the asphalt and bounce 30' back up! wonder what ever happen to ol Bruce?
Old 02-03-2003, 02:52 AM
cmsrp

I have had only 4 dirt dives in around 100 drops, and never broke a thing!!!!!! After modifying the way the pack opens, I have not yet had a malfunction and that would be in around 70 drops...
I have though had "Dundee" caught in a thermal!!!!! I didnt think he would ever come down; had about 16 minute float (canopy) time in that one, and luckily I didnt have to walk far...
Old 02-03-2003, 11:43 AM
teefly-RCU

bruce had a single channel for steering. parasail type chute. his little arms would be pulling away! fun
Old 02-05-2003, 01:50 AM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like a copy too

Billiam411[place at sign here]comcast.net

I do the bracket thing to prevent spam, it works
Old 02-07-2003, 07:10 PM
springer-RCU

I'd very much like to see your plans.

I've been looking for an RC skydiver and I have tracked down a free plan that was printed in a 1980 issue of a US magazine.

Seems fairly simple to build, but there is one aspect of the design which puzzles me a bit, so I'm not ready to commit to it. Perhaps someone on the forum can help.

You see, the parafoil is designed with all of its trailing edges sewn closed. I'm not at all sure, but I would have expected to find that the trailing edges were open, allowing air to flow between the panels of the parafoil and perhaps improving its stability. Bit like a windsock.

Springer
Old 02-08-2003, 09:08 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

My Charlie has his parafoil sewn shut, and if anything its tooooo stable. I'm going to vent panels starting at the center one at a time until I can get him to fly more than just hang there and pivot.

When he pivots he DOES drop relatively fast, but if I don't steer him around he's up for at least 3 minutes in one spot. Time enough for the drop plane to land and watch.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:05 AM
cmsrp

MAJSteve

Vent the out side panels first... That way you get good forward speed, and when you pull the steering line, that vent will close somewhat as well as drag the trailing edge. Air will flow as normal through the opposite side causing a positive turn
Old 02-08-2003, 06:22 PM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Makes sense. I'll give it a try next time.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:17 PM
GaryV

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guy's,

Check out this site: www.solomonrc.com

Cool, my picture is on it.
click on "online resources" on the home page, then click on
"in the news"

Gary V
Virginia
Old 02-09-2003, 10:51 PM
cmsrp

GaryV

I see lots of photos on the site, especialy the "Products" page showing a MIKE from Paramax and Bob from "R/C Skydive St.Louis" with his jumper etc. Which ones are actually made by "Solomon RC"? Do they sell theirs or are they copies...
Incedently, an RC skydiver plan is available from RCM, which is what I started with, see here
http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...m=plans:pl-631
as you can see this is the original design now used by CR and others. The canopy is not good, but for $8.00, you cant go wrong...
Old 02-09-2003, 10:55 PM
cmsrp

If you cant get the link to work, go to http://www.rcmmagazine.com and click on "RCM Plans" at top left. Go to the plans page and type 631 into the search box. There you have it, Konrad Riggenmann's R/C parachutist...
Old 02-09-2003, 11:35 PM
pequeajim

Default Jumpers on Solomon RC

I believe that it's their gallery that shows jumpers from a few different manufacturers, not the product page.

I believe that Gary is flying a Wally Gitchell jumper and chute. And, you're right, the gallery page does have a Mike on it (with permission from the owner), Bob, I'm not too sure about that. You guys know them better than I do?

In fact, they say, "some of our friends" on the gallery page as well. I think it's cool that they put lots of jumper pics up for us to enjoy.

They have an invitation for you to send your pic of your guy in and I'm sure Ken will post it.

We're a small family, why not share the web space.

Nice job to all of you guys, you really have me excited about this part of the hobby.

And thanks Ken.

Jim!
Old 02-09-2003, 11:43 PM
cmsrp

It's just their product page!!! I would have no idea what I was getting!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2003, 11:51 PM
pequeajim

I asked Ken about the products page, and it shows ONLY Solomon RC products. Soooo, you should know what you are getting by looking at the pics and reading the descriptions. If you have suggestions, I'm sure Ken would love to hear from you.

I like their stuff so much, that I am getting ready to do a review on one of their jumpers, (if the weather will cooperate that is...)

Jim!
Old 02-09-2003, 11:56 PM
cmsrp

Incorrect !!!! For example, the picture of the yellow jumper next to "COMPLETE SKYDIVER COMBO (READY TO DROP)" is Bob from "St Louis R/C Skydiving", soooo, what would I be getting??????
Old 02-10-2003, 12:19 AM
pequeajim

Well, you seem to know the products pretty well, so I would guess that you know what you are getting on a page. I would hope that you are not just trying to trash the guy. I looked at the jumpers on the page you mentioned, I don't know how you can tell the difference, but then again, I am just getting into this and TRYING to be FRIENDLY with the information. Rather than slamming the site publicly on RCU, why not be a gentleman and email Ken to point out the possible mistake?

I'm sure he will respond right away.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:44 AM
cmsrp

Not slamming it !!!!!! Just wanting people to be aware of whats around... This is a relatively new aspect to RC, so there will be people trying to "get on board" any way they can (not saying this is what has happened here). I asked Bob if he was supplying his for sale on this site and he said no. I take offence to people adding misleading info or pictures to website "sale" pages as this is classed as false advertising... It is up to the owner of the page to supply correct infomation for the general public. OK, this is just a photo, but as you can see, the jumper is quite alot different than others shown (and I have the full run of these photo's from Bob if anyone else would like to see them, or are not convinced). And to then quote "and it shows ONLY Solomon RC products" knowing full well it does not, really anoy's me. Was it just that because I live in Australia that I would not know any different or not know anything about it?????
These forums are for infomation, especially for the un-informed to find out about something or to discuss things... I have no reason to "slam" the site involved as I beleive "the more, the better", but get the infomation correct!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 12:54 AM
cmsrp

Just remember, this sort of discussion is the best form of advertising for that website; So in effect, I am helping them, Not slamming them...
Old 02-10-2003, 01:10 AM
fly103-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Default THE MORE THE BETTER!! THATS WHAT WE ALL WANT!!

HI CMSPP, SORRY ABOUT THE PIC OF BOB'S JUMPER GETTING PUT IN THE WRONG PLACE. WE ALL MAKE BOO! BOO'S!. WE WILL GET BETTER AT PUTTING THINGS UP ON THE SITE AS WE GO. MY SITE BUILDER HAS DONE AN INCREDIBLE JOB WITH THE BIG PILE OF STUFF I'VE SENT HIM. WE HOPE THE FORUM PART OF OUR SITE WILL BE A BIG HELP TO OUR SPORT OF R/C SKYDIVING. I'VE BEEN INTO RADIO CONTROL FOR OVER 35 YEARS AND HELPING EACH OTHER IS THE NO#1 THING I'VE LEARNED DURING THIS TIME. BY WORKING TOGETHER IN A POSITIVE WAY WE SHOULD SEE A BIG BOOST IN R/C SKYDIVING. THANKS KEN www.solomonrc.com
Old 02-10-2003, 01:33 AM
pequeajim

Thanks for the explaination Ken. I didn't think you were into false advertising as mentioned here. You're right, acting like gentlemen, we can all help each other rather than trying to tear down the other guy.

Lot's for me to learn, that's for sure.

Jim!
Old 02-10-2003, 01:38 AM
cmsrp

Ken

Yes, we all make mistakes, and yes, your site builder has done a great job. RC skydiving is a great sport, which needs supporting. This is why I got a little upset, as I thought you may be one of those "lets cash in on this while we can" sites. I built my first skydiver in 1982 and have followed it since. I have dealt with many RC Skydiving businesses and people from all over the world. In the last 24 months, I have found John and Bob to be the most helpful and would quickly help with any problems or discussions(your site was not available at that stage). If you base your business on this same attitude, you will do very well indeed (unlike another RC skydiving bussiness, which will sell you something then pretend you dont exist when it doesnt work). I am pushing for more jumpers here in Aus and I will continue to support this asspect of RC, and look forward to continued dealings with yourself and all involved...
Old 02-10-2003, 02:13 AM
pequeajim

Good luck cmsrp. The nice thing about this hobby is that eventually, we weed out the good guys from the bad, and that normally shows in the amount of help that they want to provide everyone else.

Although this is my first jumper, I am looking forward to a fun summer!
Old 02-10-2003, 02:31 AM
cmsrp

Jim

You will have so much fun with it, you will be beside yourself!!!!!!!!! It is so addictive!!! My first "drop-plane" pilot was an elderly man that had been into RC and model aircraft for over 60 years. If I didnt turn up with skydiver, he was SOOOO upset... I now just pack the drop-plane and skydiver into the car anyway...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.