Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

How about Nimh?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 05:49 AM
BotleRocketWar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about Nimh?

I've always used a 700 mah 4.8 volt Nicd in my airplanes...Does great, absolutely no problems. In fact, I just bought a replacement

I've got a 700 mah nimh sitting here that is also a 4.8 volt pack. It's about 1/3 the weight of my nicad pack... It's brand new and I got a great deal, so I had to go for it. I didn't think about it until AFTER buying it if it's ok to use.

Can I use it in my Sledge? How will it handle full throttle spins holding everything to their limits while throwing the sticks every which way all the way down?

Assuming I pull out in time, can a nimh handle it?

Sure would be nice to save a few ounces, if not just for the psychological effect...
Old 08-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Acro3D

Default How about Nimh?

I'm using a 6.0v,720 Nimh pack in my Knife. After a good charge I can get up to 5 full flights of everything imaginable. Best thing to do is put the pack in and check the voltage after each flight. You should get a pretty good idea of how well it'll hold up.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:23 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Re: How about Nimh?

Originally posted by BotleRocketWar
I've always used a 700 mah 4.8 volt Nicd in my airplanes...Does great, absolutely no problems. In fact, I just bought a replacement

I've got a 700 mah nimh sitting here that is also a 4.8 volt pack. It's about 1/3 the weight of my nicad pack... It's brand new and I got a great deal, so I had to go for it. I didn't think about it until AFTER buying it if it's ok to use.

Can I use it in my Sledge? How will it handle full throttle spins holding everything to their limits while throwing the sticks every which way all the way down?

Assuming I pull out in time, can a nimh handle it?

Sure would be nice to save a few ounces, if not just for the psychological effect...
Yes, NiMh packs work just dandy! I find that they are one way to save weight.

Some other ways you might not have considered:

Quit using Wooly Mammoth skins for covering. There are a number of iron on coverings on the market nowdays that are actually lighter, lighter even that Terradactyl skin!!

Quit using those carved stone tires!! They make ones now out of foam rubber that will shave several pounds off your latest creation. Added benefit: No more setting around the fire for hours with a stone ax getting your tires perfectly round!

Some come on out of that cave and play with the rest of us!!
Old 08-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Default How about Nimh?

6V NIMH 720 mah batteries is what I have been using on all my Profiles. No problems what so ever, and nice and light.
I get mine from www.batteriesamerica.com They also have a nice 1650 mah NIMH Transmitter battery. You can fly the whole weekend with that baby.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:54 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default NimH

I run nothing but NimH in my planes. I love the light weight, and I am getting more flights out of an equivilent pack with the NimH over the Nicds. The only thing that I have heard, though haven't experienced it is, I hear that the NimH is drain to a certain point and then just dump their charge. I run the 4.8V 700maH packs in my 40-size Fun-Flys since I'm running high speed servos (otherwise i'd run the 6V packs with std. servos), and I normally re-charge the battery when it gets down to 4.8V, just in case.
Remember that you can't charge the Nimh with the same equipment. I bought a GP Triton and love it. I won't go back to the Nicds unless I need a little extra weight - NAH!
Kevin
Old 08-01-2003, 02:57 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Default How about Nimh?

I've been using 6 volt 720 mAh NiMh packs in all my profiles... I love 'em... Kevin's right about the cliff at the end of the discharge curve though... I ran a pack in my taco all day... musta had 7 or 8 flights out of it.... and then it just tanked... controls got mushy and didn't have enough to land very well....

Just make sure to check them after every flight and never go under what they are rated for... I have a triton to charge mine with also and I LOVE it!!
Old 08-01-2003, 03:09 PM
JIVE TURKEY

Default Re: Re: How about Nimh?

Originally posted by ChuckAuger

Quit using Wooly Mammoth skins for covering. There are a number of iron on coverings on the market nowdays that are actually lighter, lighter even that Terradactyl skin!!

What coverings are you talking about? Are you comparing monocote/ultracote to _________________?

If so.........how about strength or color selection?

(maybe I read into the joke a little too much?)
Old 08-01-2003, 03:42 PM
ChuckAuger

Default How about Nimh?

Yep..I was kidding BRW that he must have been living in a cave to not have heard about/tried NiMh batteries by now.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:47 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default How about Nimh?

I have a 1200mah NiMh for my Topcap thats a 4/5AA size cell which is smaller STILL then the standard 600mah Nicad that I had originally for it... so i will get tons of flying!
Old 08-01-2003, 07:06 PM
ChuckAuger

Default How about Nimh?

Originally posted by Shortman
I have a 1200mah NiMh for my Topcap thats a 4/5AA size cell which is smaller STILL then the standard 600mah Nicad that I had originally for it... so i will get tons of flying!
No you won't..because you know by the time you finish it NiMh batteries will be replaced with cold fusion reactors the size of a glow plug.

You EVER gonna finish that TopCap??
Old 08-01-2003, 09:28 PM
Texas 3D

Default How about Nimh?

The Sirius chargers will work also great with NIMH.

Paul, 7-8 flights without charging ? I knew those Mempho guys where nuts.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:59 PM
BotleRocketWar

Default How about Nimh?

I appreciate all the responses, especially Kevins. That's what I was looking for...

I've already got the pack and it's a 4.8 volt. I'm not really concerned with how a 6 volt pack does...

I've heard that a Nimh can't handle the current draw that a nicad of the same capacity and voltage can...I don't want to have any problems throwing all the sticks around. Looks I shouldn't worry about it...

I've got a charger that can handle nimh, so that should not be a problem... Can I expect about twice as much flight time with this pack?

Chuck, I've got 2.5 inch foam wheels that are about half the weight of the foamies that Morris gives you. Now my Wooly Mammoth skins, those are great for the winter.

Thanks for the link Ulf, I'll think I'll have to order a transmitter battery now...
Old 08-01-2003, 10:00 PM
BotleRocketWar

Default How about Nimh?

Originally posted by ChuckAuger
No you won't..because you know by the time you finish it NiMh batteries will be replaced with cold fusion reactors the size of a glow plug.

You EVER gonna finish that TopCap??
LOL, I guess I missed that the first time around...
Old 08-01-2003, 10:14 PM
ChuckAuger

Default How about Nimh?

I've heard that a Nimh can't handle the current draw that a nicad of the same capacity and voltage can...I don't want to have any problems throwing all the sticks around. Looks I shouldn't worry about it...
That's only on high current applications, like electric motors. Read more about it Here

They work just great on lower current applications like a Sledge with 5 servos.

Can I expect about twice as much flight time with this pack?
'Fraid not. 700 Mah is 700Mah, NiCad or NiMh. The only thing you gain is less weight.

Chuck, I've got 2.5 inch foam wheels that are about half the weight of the foamies that Morris gives you. ...
That is impressive..the wheels that came with my Sledge are the lightest tires I've see, and I've seen 'em all.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:44 PM
BotleRocketWar

Default How about Nimh?

Go find a student at your field with an Avistar ARF or RTF and trade him wheels...They have the best I have ever found, but you can't buy them seperately. At least, I don't think you can??
Old 08-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default How about Nimh?

Try the Dave Brown foamies - I've switched all of my over to them.
Kevin
Old 08-02-2003, 01:52 AM
ChuckAuger

Default How about Nimh?

That's what I have..the Dave Brown ribbed foamy (man, that don't sound like a RC tire!)
Old 08-02-2003, 07:24 AM
BotleRocketWar

Default How about Nimh?

I guess I do have a few more questions...

I used my charger and charged up the nimh tonight...Voltage checked out a little higher than my just-charged nicad pack of the same capacity. I've installed it in my Sledge and am ready to fly tomorrow. I'll check voltage after every flight and see how it checks out. After a few cycles, I'll see how it compares to my nicads.

I am wondering...Why can't I use my wall charger that came with my radio equipment? What's wrong with a 10-14 hour charge at 75 mah? The pack won't be getting hot...What's the problem with it?

When using my field charger, what's a good rate to charge it? 1 amp OK?

I should be asking this in the electronics forum, but I know and trust you guys...
Old 08-02-2003, 07:26 AM
BotleRocketWar

Default How about Nimh?

My pack is made with AAA cells, BTW...That ok?

It's odd how much you can learn about this hobby while still knowing absolutely NOTHING!

http://members.aol.com/davthacker/nimhfaq.htm

Good stuff there... Looks like I can use my wall charger. Looks like I have to have a good overnight charge before I can accurately charge it up on my fast charger. Good thing these packs don't remember your mistakes like a Nicad!
Old 08-02-2003, 01:00 PM
funflysteve
My Feedback: (2)

Default How about Nimh?

The nimh batteries wont handle the load that a nicad battery will and its not only for electric motors.....although you prolly wont notice a differance in your plane here we have noticed differances in our all out unlimited competition planes.....they wont loop or roll the same between nicad and nimh....nicad wins everytime....bummer cause we are always lookin for grams to save....
Old 08-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Texas 3D

Default How about Nimh?

I am wondering...Why can't I use my wall charger that came with my radio equipment? What's wrong with a 10-14 hour charge at 75 mah? The pack won't be getting hot...What's the problem with it?

When using my field charger, what's a good rate to charge it? 1 amp OK?

I should be asking this in the electronics forum, but I know and trust you guys...
The wall charger is just fine ! I always do my first charge with the wall charger (slow charge), and then use my sirius. I think 1 amp won't be a problem for your battery when quick charging.

I have not noticed any performance loss with the NIMH compared to the Nicad. I do notice a nice weight save though.

I have been using NIMH for over a year now, and havn't had any problems at all. All my planes fly on them now. Just can't pass up the weight save.