Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

U Can Do 3D .46 Main Wing Question

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

U Can Do 3D .46 Main Wing Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Heads_Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U Can Do 3D .46 Main Wing Question

Just got my 46 UCD ... looks killer!

I bought fiber glass cloth to reinforce the main wing, but there is no joiner gap. As you all know, it is a one piece wing joined at the factory.

I LOVE to do snap rolls ... hard core snap rolls inside and outside. I see no way to reinforce the main wing.

Any issues with the wing snapping during hard core, fast snap rolls or other maneuvers?

Comments and recommendations welcome!
Old 08-06-2003, 04:03 PM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

Check out the thread in the 3d forum. All you questions will be answered there.

Neo
Old 08-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Heads_Up

Originally posted by NeoGenesis
Check out the thread in the 3d forum. All you questions will be answered there.

Neo
Thanx

Working my way through the 340+ posts as we speak

Rick
Old 08-06-2003, 06:40 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

HeadsUp.... if that wing comes off in a snap then you will have yourself a brand new one the next day.

Great Planes stand behind there product and will only ask to send the broken one back to them (if that!)

that is if the wing would break which i would highly doubt...
Old 08-06-2003, 08:47 PM
NeoGenesis

You had better read the thread I mentioned then. There have been numerous wing failures.....some on theirmaiden flight. I'm just praying that mine doesn't follow suit. I've got 9 flight total with no sign of failure yet

Neo
Old 08-07-2003, 01:15 AM
Heads_Up

Originally posted by Shortman
HeadsUp.... if that wing comes off in a snap then you will have yourself a brand new one the next day.

Great Planes stand behind there product and will only ask to send the broken one back to them (if that!)

that is if the wing would break which i would highly doubt...
Shortman

Thanx for the reply.

I have no doubt that GP would replace the airframe in a wing failure. My main concern is the safety of others.

I am a member of the Texas HEATWAVE Aerobatic Team ... http://www.thatshowteam.org ... and would hate to see either a fellow pilot or, God forbid, a spectator get hurt.

Rick
Old 08-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Heads_Up

You had better read the thread I mentioned then. There have been numerous wing failures.....some on theirmaiden flight. I'm just praying that mine doesn't follow suit. I've got 9 flight total with no sign of failure yet

Neo
Neo
I read through the entire thread and see your point. However, I feel that all planes ... ARFs or Kits ... will have a percentage of failure. It seems to me that most folks are overpowering the 46 UCD which only increases the chances of issues from over doing the wing loading.

I will be flying mine with an OS 50SX, mini tune pipe, and an APC 12.25x3.75 prop.

Hopefully it will perform well with that combo. If not, then believe me, Great Planes WILL hear about it.

The air show team is out representing AMA all the time and I don't think GP would want the negative spin.

Rick
Old 08-07-2003, 02:01 AM
NeoGenesis

I had a fellow flier at the field with nealy the same setup. He was not happy and ended up putting a Saito .91 in it. The wing folded on it's maiden flight coming out of a shallow turn between 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. With a small 2 stroke, I'll be suprised if it has enough power to hover, but there won't be much to pull out with. I've hear that a .72 4 stroke is adequate, but since the plane builds extremely tail heavy.......... I chose the Saito 100. I agree that some people expect the airframe to accept all this extra power no problem, but that will never happen. Throttle managment becomes extremely important as I'm sure you know. I fly at 1/4 throttle except on a vertical line. I wish you luck with your plane and hope all goes well.

Neo
Old 08-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Heads_Up

I had a fellow flier at the field with nealy the same setup. He was not happy and ended up putting a Saito .91 in it. The wing folded on it's maiden flight coming out of a shallow turn between 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. With a small 2 stroke, I'll be suprised if it has enough power to hover, but there won't be much to pull out with. I've hear that a .72 4 stroke is adequate, but since the plane builds extremely tail heavy.......... I chose the Saito 100. I agree that some people expect the airframe to accept all this extra power no problem, but that will never happen. Throttle managment becomes extremely important as I'm sure you know. I fly at 1/4 throttle except on a vertical line. I wish you luck with your plane and hope all goes well.

Neo
Thanx Neo.. If the 50SX will not hover the plane as it is advertised, Customer Support will hear about it. I had the 50SX on a Kangke Fun 50 and it would hover at just above half throttle. Same size/weight plane as the 46 UCD. If I don't like what the UCD 46 offers me, I will be giving James at Kangke a call right after I call Great Planes.

I have not owned a Great Planes aircraft in over three years due to design issues they had with a few of their ARFs. This will decide weather I try some of their other aircraft.

Rick