Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Something Extra 3D? Is it a good plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Something Extra 3D? Is it a good plane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 10:44 PM
spitfire543

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something Extra 3D? Is it a good plane?

I've been flying for some time now, and I feel ready for a plane that can really test me. I've flown trainers and a Sig Kavalier, but i'm more than ready to move on.
I've got a plane in the works, it's a Ace 4-40 with a Sig Four Star Wing (Trade show goof, don't ask) And that'll be fun, just as something I can beat the crap out of. but after that I'm thinking of a fun fly. I posted another message, asking if the Burrito would be good, but I've thourougly shot myself in the foot there, so I'm trying another approach.
I love the Sig Something Extra's looks, but I want to know about the ability of this plane to "grow". I'd probably start it out on low rates, and move up from there.
Eventually i'd like to get a taste of 3D flight, and I've heard mixed things about how much motor the Something Extra needs. What I have on hand is a 46FX, and a Webra 50 that may or may not be past it's peak performance.
one person said a FX with an 11.5X4 prop will hover, i'd have to experiment with the Webra.
What are people's thoghts on this? any adivice on the Something Extra would be great, or on profile planes too
Old 02-08-2004, 09:32 AM
Vref
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Something Extra 3D? Is it a good plane?

IMO the Something Extra and almost any profile are great choices, however they are on two seperate missions. The Something Extra is a great all-around sport plane. I have seen one hover on a 46 fx, but I have also seen the right thumbs hover a trainer and that alone does not make it a good 3-D plane at all. If you want a 3-D trainer I'd go Burrito. Keep in mind these profiles have huge control surfaces and do not like to fly fast. Keep something else in your fleet for burning 100 mph holes in the sky if you are into that also.
hope it helps a little.
Chris

P.S. Proflies are NOT UGLY! ;-)
Old 02-08-2004, 11:32 AM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

You haven't shot yoursef in the foot! A burrito is a much better plane for 3-D than the something extra. Both are easy to build althougth the something extra takes more time do to the fuse. The something extra will not fly fast either without flutter. Both are good planes, but if you want to learn 3-D Buy the burrito! If you want the better looking one get the soemthing extra. But the burrito will out fly the S'extra. The burrtio is much lighter too, so that withthe engines you have you will have more power.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:16 PM
PropAce

i flew it in 70Mph winds today and got a 3 point landing or so the wind meater said so it must be a good Plane.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Crash Master

If you're looking for a 3D trainer you can really beat the crap out while learning, take a look [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/SPA3D/]here[/link] or [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/misc/spa3dt.htm]here[/link]. I am learning 3d on both of mine and the abuse they will take is unbelievable. About all you need to learn with either one of them is a good supply of props.

Just a thought,
Old 02-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Hey there Spitfire

You didn't soot yourself in the foot, just dropped a piano on it! I'm guessing you're not a ProBro yet. We give each other grief like that ALL the time man. We just like our planks and express it all we can!!!

I was a Something Extra LOVER!!!! I had 3 ARFs and I believe they are one of the best sport/areobatic/all around planes available. I had a 46fx then the OS 50 fx. Both had the power to hover the plane but the .46 just barely, and the .50 just a little better than that. I was never able to hover for any lenth of time, and any other 3D was not even close.

BUT..........After 2 years of trying to learn 3D I got hooked up with the ProBros and got a Knife. Within an hour I was so far ahead of where I was it's not even funny. I'm on like 4th or 5th Profile and (In the .40 size) I"ll never go back!!! Now (less than 2 years later) I can hover at will at ground level (And touch it as often as I want), harrier, waterfall, blender etc. Still working on sustained Torque Rolls and inverted harriers.

I wish I had the last SE still (I sold it about 3 months ago) to try it out again. I would put my Saito .91 on it and see if I could make it dance. This is my opinion, but I thing in the smaller planes, the profile makes 3D easier and faster to learn. It's lighter, it's got more side area (VERY important), and it's so much stronger you wouldn't believe what it will take!!!

Seriously, we were not actually mad, just defending the planks. If you get past your little "aversion" and get a plank (The Burrito isn't the only one, just one of the best) you will soon find yourself in love. I see a ProBro number in the low 600's in your future!
Old 02-10-2004, 06:55 PM
spitfire543

okay, It sounds like there's not much of an argument, SE for sport, burrito for 3D
.....Or..... I could just get both!!
Thanks for your help.
It sounds like the burrito is prtty unbeatable, so I think you all have finally convinced me. The only other plane I'm considering now is the OMP Edge 540 .40 size. I realize the value of profiles for 3D training, so i've definetly narrowed it down to that or a burrito., I'll tell you, I do like Burritos. If anyone has a good argument against a OMP plane, tell me now!
Old 02-10-2004, 09:05 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

I can assure you that you will not see a response to your comment about the arguments against the OMP Edge. So with that in mind .... how would you like to pay for it?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:19 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

I can assure you that you will not see a response to your comment about the arguments against the OMP Edge. So with that in mind .... how would you like to pay for it?
Actually I have a couple problems with that #@$%! OMP!

FIRST: WHERE THE HELL IS MINE??????????no, I don't want to pay for it, or build it. I just want one!!!!!!

Second: Well, I'm working on annother, but I'll think of something.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:41 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Careful Gordo ... I've been banned for saying "poop" no RCU. I don't know if they can take "#@$%", that's pretty harsh man!

Have no fear, I am working on the next OMP Photo Contest! All you have to do is submit the winning photo, just ask Matt the winner of the last contest how he likes his new FREE OMP Edge. However the next contest is going to have a new theme ... after all I don't want Matt to win AGAIN! He actually risked his plane for the contest!

Question is ... would you?

Bottom line Spitfire, both the OMP and Burrito are awesome planes. One just flies a little different then the other, but one is not better then the other. You would have to fly em both to find out which one you like better. But even when you get the one you want you'll regret that you didn't get the other. It's a sickness conceived by Sir Isaac Newton many years ago. Actually they should call us the Knights of Newton, warriors whom protect his laws for thousands of generations to come.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94877.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	99651  
Old 02-10-2004, 11:35 PM
capthis
My Feedback: (67)

If you are just getting into 3-d I would go for the burrito. It is easier to build, and is a little more stable in a hover. Both are very good planes, and you wouldn't be disapointed with either. I think all bro's need the burrito, the omp edge, and the morris sledge! Of course then you need a 11oz foamy electric but thats another story! I think the burrito is a stronger as well which is a good thing! The omp is a very sturdy bird, but it just can't compete with the carbon boom design of the burrito! Come over to Evansville, IN and I'll let you fly all three, then you can decide!
Old 02-11-2004, 07:03 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

ORIGINAL: capthis

Come over to Evansville, IN and I'll let you fly all three, then you can decide!
That's what I'm talking about! ProBros on the case!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:43 PM
spitfire543

Thanks a lot everyone. Hey capthis, I really wish that I could come to Evansville, but I'm in the middle of Iowa. Oh, and just in case your wondering, I have an 11 ounce foamy. 3DX!!!! I need a good brushless and li-poly set up for it, but I'm too into nitros right now. Maybe soon.