Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 Help omp edge 540 fuselage warped a little during the building process >

Help omp edge 540 fuselage warped a little during the building process

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Help omp edge 540 fuselage warped a little during the building process

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 07:30 PM
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help omp edge 540 fuselage warped a little during the building process

I am needing a little help on my omp edge 540 its the small one. While building the fuselage it was coming along great. I sheeted one side and then got busy on something else for about a week. I started working on it today and noticed the fuselage has warped a little bit. Its not a whole lot but I would like to get it straight as possible. The other side got sheeted before I noticed it. Is there anything I can try to straighten it out. Or should I just forget about it and go on with it. Is it possible to get it out when covering it.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-08-2004, 09:58 PM
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: Help omp edge 540 fuselage warped a little during the building process

How badly is it warped? By 1/32" or 1/2"? Lengthwise or vertically?
Is the warp evenly distributed or isolated to one part of the assembly?
Is it curved to the right or left when viewed from the top?
Got pictures?

Too bad you already sheeted the second side - That would have been a perfect opportunity.

FWIW, at the stage you are at, you should have less than $10 of wood and 1-2 evenings into it.
Show us what you have - Maybe it's not a big deal.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:15 AM
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Help omp edge 540 fuselage warped a little during the building process

this MIGHT work??
take some water and spray both sides down .place the fuse bowed side up on a FLAT surface and
weight it down
Let it dry over a few days
it that dosent get it out then do the same thing except add a sheet of balsa the same thickness as the
warp appears to be right on the center of the warp and weight it down again
when it dries in a few days it should be strait .

Frank
Old 02-09-2004, 08:42 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Frank has a good suggestion. This technique has worked for others. Also if it isn't warped too bad then go with it. The Fun Fly planes aren't designed to fly straight lines and any small degree of warpage can be trimmed out with the control surfaces. Trust me, you won't even be able to tell in the long run.

Mike
Old 02-09-2004, 08:44 PM

I had a 3/8" warp in a profile I just built. At the nose and to the left no less. I tried several things to straighten it. Leaving it dry for days only worked for a few hours then the warp was back, BTW.

Finally I tried very hot water, sprayed on with a little bottle. Let it soak for about 10 minutes. While it soaked I had the nose and center section of the fuse on blocks of wood with a 5 lb weight on it to get it straight. Then I hit with the heat gun for about 30 minutes unti it was dry, while still supported and sitting with the weight on it. The warp is 95% gone and it has not come back. It's been 3 months since I finished the plane so I doubt it will develop again. An extra washer under the top, front edge of the motor mount flange took care of the rest of the warp.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:48 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I think if you take an ammonia and water solution (Windex?) and spray it on and then use an aliphatic resin to glue the remaining sheeting on, weight it down on a flat surface and give it plenty of dry time is the only thing to do.