Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:08 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

Was there damage to the box? If so send us some digital shots and we will file a claim. You are the first to report damage of any kind.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:47 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

I have a suggestion for round two, and all other profile projects. I did not like the servo wire tunnel on this plane. Getting the second wire through was a real bear. I'd suggest something similar to the EF Edge. Any kit built plane I do in the future will be done like it.

The plane is going together well. I'm installing radio gear, after several hours of "family time". I'll fly it Saturday, weather pending.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:35 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Problem resolved by OMP
Old 07-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Trombe

Default ???

Why isn't the video of the Katana working?

http://www.flybuder.com/ompalbums/edge/aqua9s.wmv
Old 07-02-2004, 09:33 PM
cropdusterdave
My Feedback: (2)

I haven't seen the problems CCRC1 is talking about in mine. Obviouselly I haven't opened up the covering to closely inspect things...but the wing tips mentioned seem to be plenty solid. Just have to wait and see how all goes together I guess. I'll stick it together this weekend.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:55 AM
TailTwister

I'm putting in a throttle servo in the AM and going flying.

I found some plastic side mount things in my shop. They came with an HS-85MG, and fit the HS-81 I have for the throttle too. I'll not going use the wood sticks, but I'll have a smaller servo set up like Dion's shows. These plastic mount things snap on the mount tabs, (without gromets) and allow the servo to mount on it's side. It looks OK to me, and will allow me to put the servo exactly in line with the throttle arm, or anywhere else for that matter. I think it ill look cleaner than the sticks with a standard servo on them.

My CG looks a bit aft of the recommended 100mm, with the battery and receiver all the way to the front of the hatch area (minus a prop), but not too aft. I'll fly it as is, and adjust from there.

My only complaint is still the servo wire tunnel. I think, otherwise, it went together really well. It looks nice. I'm considering one cosmetic change. I'm going to visit the vinly shop and look for a font like the Katana lettering. I'm thinking about naming mine the "FaKatanaP" (Fake-A-Tana), out of respect for Matlok and OMP. This plane is not a copy of the kit plane, but damn it's close. It almost seems like a simultaneous thing, as it got to market really quickly. Either that, or just match the font and color and add "ARF" to the opposite wing panel.

I hope it flies as well as it looks. This is a pretty good looking plane plane.

For the record, my airframe looks good. No warps, crunches, or twists at all. I think it's good to go. I'll post a flight report when I'm comfortable with the plane.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:07 PM
cropdusterdave

Tailtwister...

What did you do for your tailwheel? Mine is a sloppy fit and does not tighten up with the nylon strap provided. I'm thinking about gooping it up with epoxy to see if it'll keep it's position. I'll also have to bend it down as there's no way it's going to keep the rudder from bumping even on a gentle landing. Come to think of it...I may just get some stiffer music wire and make one myself. I assembled most of the plane today and so far my gripes are the single beveled horiz. stab and the tailwheel.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:08 PM
TailTwister

My wire fit nice and tight, but I did bent it to stand up more. I just put some thinc CA in there before I mounted it.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:49 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

I took about 4" off my TW. Just snipped and rebent the wire that plugs into the fuse.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:05 PM
cropdusterdave

Just finished up the Katana ARF and weighed in. I'm really suprised...all up weight ready to fly minus fuel and muffler was 3lbs 15oz even. Right about 4 lbs using standard sized everything and a tt .46 makes this the lightest profile of this size I"ve had so far. Almost a whole lb lighter than my twister. I"m pumped!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 08:44 AM
TailTwister

I was shocked at the weight too. I got 4 pounds 6 ounces minus only fuel. I use a Saito 72 with an APC 14x4W. A 1200 mah 5 cell NiMh pack. A standatrd size receiver and servos, except the throttle is an HS-81.

At first, my CG looked aft, but after flying, I'm gonna to actually move it back a bit. I'm thinking mayba a half inch, but not much. I'll do so by moving my battery back. It is in the very front of the hatch area. I also ordered a couple of Pro Zinger 14x4 props. That will save me like an ounce on the nose all by itself. And, of course, I could always lose the spinner.

I liked the stock tailwheel, and left it. I did have to bend it to get a good height on it. I was flying on Sunday, and on final, I was bumping the elevator, and bouncing the tailwheel on the ground 5 and 6 times before letting the plane land.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:28 AM
cropdusterdave

I actually did what STLpilot recommended and trimmed an inch or two off and rebent. Works great now...and stiff. I'm probably not quite a half inch behind the 100mm CG with the motor mounted as far back as it'll go and still have prop clearance. I might throw a 12" woddy up front and see if it spools up any better than the 12.25X3.75 and save an oz. or two there. I wanted to fly it today but temps in the upper 50's, rain and wind are really putting a damper on the summer fun right now. It's about 40 deg cooler than it was 3 days ago.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:52 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

What color is the bottom of the Katana ARF version? Assuming the top is Yellow....
Old 07-06-2004, 03:59 PM
cropdusterdave

solid dark blue
Old 07-06-2004, 04:05 PM
3d-aholic

Thanks...we need pics'
Old 07-07-2004, 12:32 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

I am ordering one this week. PLan on using a saito 80 for it. Any prop recommendations for the this engine?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:04 PM
buildflycrash

Ordered mine yesterday, I am going to use os 46 fx. I was thinking of getting the light muffler from Morris. It is the "Rossi round mini tuned pipe system" have any of you used this product? Is it worth $50.00? Thanks for your input.
Scott B
Old 07-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

well, just ordered one too (just couldn't resist ). Will convert to electric for a Hacker B50 13S geared 6.7:1
Old 07-07-2004, 10:16 PM
cropdusterdave

Well, just got the maiden out of the way with the Katana. It was a bit breezy tonight (12-15) but I couldn't resist. As I hoped...it flies very lightly. Great slow flight. Due to the breeze I only did some basic 3D stuff. First off, it hovers quite stable. The .46 hovered the thing at a very low setting providing real good power. For some reason, I was kind of 50-50 with the harriers. I think this was due to the wind and I think I need to move the CG back a bit. When I got them locked in it was no problem to harrier down the runway. I even pulled a couple good elevators down to the deck. Inverted required just a touch of down elevator. But what really suprised me was the knife edge. I've heard a few say that it was nothing special in this respect but I thought it knifed AWSOME!!! Nice, slow high alpha knife edge on low rate rudder required just a hare of down elevator to mix out a slight pull to the canopy. Didn't want to roll out at all. I did all my passes to the left with a side breeze so the coupling tendancies may feel different...but I was very happy with it. It also does some pretty cool high alpha rudder turns. I have a feeling this one will flat spin real good. When this breeze calms down I want to get out and do some waterfalls and spins. I'm a little ashamed to say it...but this is only my second nitro profile, the first being a Pro Twister that I built like a bradley tank 4 years ago. The Katana makes that thing look like a piece of crap (probably mostly due to my building techniques) It flies alot like my 3D electric birds. I'll never fly a fat fuse again. I have access to a CNC sticker cutter at work and had some good graphics cut out for the botttom of the wing and I'll post some pics as soon as I stick 'em on.

p.s. If you fly from grass....don't even bother with the little wheels provided.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:58 AM
3d-aholic

How thick is the wing cord on this plane? Is it as thick or thinner than the OMP Edge?
Old 07-09-2004, 07:16 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

It's thick, juicy, and has double cheese! Get one today!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:18 AM
TailTwister

I don't think it'quite as thick as the Edge, but it is substantial.

I'm gonna move my CG today, and give it a go in the morning.

In a stiff wind 15isn mph+, I actually prefer to harrier most planes on the downwind leg. Get ready, cause it scoots pretty good, but it locks in, as in a headwind it bops up and down too much.

ULF, my friend, I can't wait for you to get back in the "way too powerful electric conversion profile" saddle. As light as this plane is, it's a good candidate.

I have had two Rossi engines (45 and 53) with that muffler. Both were real power houses. Another good muffler is the (like $15) Tower tuned muffler (made by GMS). There are two or three here, and they really wake up the 46FX. I use a Super Tiger 51 with an Ultrathrust Muffler (www.pspec.com), and will equal or beat the power of any of them, except the Rossi 53 and Rossi tuned silencer. I get 14,300 rpm on a 12.25x3.75 APC with that combo. There is an Ultrathrust for the OS 46 as well. My Tiger beats all OS and GMS 46s here, no matter the muffler.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:19 PM
cropdusterdave

Well, I said I would...so here they are. Got in a few more flights in the wind...can't wait for a calm day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82652.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	152264  
Old 07-10-2004, 01:21 PM
cropdusterdave

My files are pretty big. I'll give a brownie to anyone who recognises the wing art.

Name:	Ki20282.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	152265  
Old 07-12-2004, 08:13 AM
A. Holden

here's mine- just finished it-

Alex

Name:	Ca81225.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	152833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46958.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	152834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10724.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	152835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84500.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	152836  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.