Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 06:32 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

They will be more stable in a hover and tr if balanced correctly (nuetrally or slightly tail heavy). However every airframe acts differently and some planes get very twitchy and pitch unstable if too tail heavy. All the OMP planes are designed to be VERY stable in all 3d manuevers so go ahead and move the cg back a little at a time until you find your comfort zone. My GS540 Edge (80" version) does a nice slow outside loop when I fly inverted. It's obviously fairly tail heavy the way I have it set up but this is the way I like to fly this particular plane. The harriers, hovers, and TRing are beyond belief. Rolling harriers with this setup are effortless as it's easy to keep the nose pointed up.

ok....back to work
Old 07-23-2004, 09:40 PM
cropdusterdave
My Feedback: (2)

I finally got to fly my Katana sommore in dead air. Man, I really like this thing. As soon as the new version comes out I think I'll get another. Dead solid in 3D and I managed some awsome tumbles and my hack version of harrier rolls. Really cool pinwheels, too. I think I'll leave the balance as is. It's funny....there's only like 5 guys at my field...all of them fly cubs, King Cobras, and Astro Hogs. That's it. For 14 years those are the only planes they fly. (they still paint them, too) There's this one old guy who pushes his wheel chair all the way out to the field just to watch me do this crazy stuff (3D) He's been saying for 5 years that he wants to get a trainer and learn. Halfway through my flight with the Katana I could hear him say so sincerely in the background "that's the one I want, right there" Made me laugh. I charged his wheel chair battery up with my Triton.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:57 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

I charged his wheel chair battery up with my Triton.
___
lol. So when is the next version coming in stock---anyone know? I'm getting Katana-P envy?
Old 07-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Quicker

TailTwister: where did you end up with the CG on yours? I see that STLPilot says he likes his at 1150. You were moving it around a lot and just wondered where you ended up at.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:29 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

My bad ... 1150 would be 3.5' back. Mine is 110 MM. I can get it to flat spin. Make sure you kick in full throttle and full cross aileron.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:28 AM
fpdesignco
My Feedback: (4)

f
Old 07-31-2004, 09:58 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

I honestly don't know where my CG is. I had it where the book said to put it, then added an ounce to the tail, as the battery bay was no help.

When I set a CG, I just get it close, then adjust based on the flying.

Minie spins good, even on the way up...
Old 07-31-2004, 02:33 PM
buildflycrash

Hate to break the bad news but these guys at OMP are NOT all that great at their customer service.

I had a two broken ribs on my Katana. I called, sent back the plane with assurance that one would be sent to me immediately, well going on three weeks and no plane. OMP will say at this point that they are sold out, but they did promise me that they were in stock when I called and that one would be sent right away.

Now for the realy good (or Bad) part. In an email to me they suggested that I should have kept the broken plane and fixed it my self. Well two broken ribs and possibly broken spars are not what I want to start off with. ( I can do this just fine myself).

i can post a copy of that email if any one is interested.
Scott B
Old 07-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Quicker

I honestly don't know where my CG is. I had it where the book said to put it, then added an ounce to the tail, as the battery bay was no help.

When I set a CG, I just get it close, then adjust based on the flying.

Minie spins good, even on the way up...
I got mine up for the first time last night. It ended up weighing around 4lb, maybe a few ounces moure...my scale is just a cheap one. Just holding it by the fingers it looks like about 1 inch aft of the spar. It tracked straight as an arrow, upright or inverted. Harriers were good (much better than my EF 540) and flatspins OK. I'm going to move the battery around and play.

The clunk got stuck in the front of the tank, so I dead sticked it in on the first flight. It glided for ever. I've never been completely sold on my EF 540, so I gave it to a club member who did some nice stuff for me. After flying this Katana, I new it was just gonna sit in the garage. Next up, a set of Tetherite gear is going on it.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:02 AM
TailTwister

Sounds like Pro Bro #916 needs an apology and a refund. If they are gone, they are gone.

Too bad they couldn't snag one of the last few for parts. []
Old 08-01-2004, 10:16 AM
STLPilot

We got your plane back and there were 2 broken ribs, no broken spar. As for the suggestion it was a suggestion from John. I did tell you that we were going to ship you one right out, but when I called the other office (shipping office) I was told they were gone. I'm sorry but they all sold in just a few days.

We are still out of them and the supplier has sold out as well. They are no longer selling us the current version as per discussion Friday nite. We can easily refund your money or send you one when the next batch arrives. The next ones will be better covered with Utracote and improved structurally. There will be a price difference however you will get it at price you paid for current version.

What do you want us to do? You can call anytime at 314-935-3575.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:47 PM
buildflycrash

Dion, My Emails to you continue to go unanswered. I am not on RCU but once or twice a Week so I was waiting for your reply when I found you had replied to my post. If you would prefer I air my difficulties and frustration with your company Here on RCU I can but I think that Regular email would be more appropriate.
Scott B
Old 08-05-2004, 01:15 PM
TailTwister

I think Dion asked you to call??? He also said that further resolution was your call and gave you a few options to consider. What else would you have him do?

Give him a call, and I'm sure you guys can come to an agreement, especially considering what he already offered.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:25 PM
3d-aholic

Dion: When are the new versions expected in? Whats the new price gonna be?

You guys need to stop using UPS I'm telling you. Try DHL.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:35 PM
fpdesignco

I keep seeing more of those dhl trucks in my area? one thing though are they avialiable everywhere? and what he said call dion he already told ya to call em
Old 08-05-2004, 01:52 PM
3d-aholic

The best way to get ahold of Dion (in a hurry) is Live Chat on the website.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:03 PM
buildflycrash

tail twister
I cerently will give him a call but I have found it good to have business documented in writing especaly when problems arise . As I said I am not here every day and I am certin that OMP has gotten my emails. Am I being unreasonable to expect emails be replyed to?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:04 PM
STLPilot

Scott I still have yet to see one of your emails on our mail system. I assume you are aware of email filtering. That is why we post 2 phone numbers on the top of every one of our webpage. Plus we have a big CONTACT US button on the top of everyone of our webpages as well with additional information on how to contact us. We also have live chat, which I believe is the only RC company to have such a support channel.

I would be more then happy to answer your questions with anyone of our methods, obviously email is not working.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2004, 02:31 PM
3d-aholic

Email communication is broken to most of us. It was a great idea until spammers, viruses, hackers and 911.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:50 PM
STLPilot

Email has gone from the greatest thing since sliced bread to a 24 hour a day free peep show. It's gone to crap and getting real close to useless.

The next version of Accel Hobby Katana ARF's will be coming in September sometime. They will have many improvements. Covering will be Ultracote. We still have several OMP Katana Kits in stock though.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:31 PM
buildflycrash

Yea, yea, what ever. I sent the mail it was delivered. John just will not admit his mistake and thats all I ever wanted. I will call you Tomorrow, Dion. I am going to get the 65" yak and i'm sure I will be very Happy with it. Just dont let John back into the customer service dept.
Scott B
Old 08-05-2004, 03:34 PM
3d-aholic

As an ISP since 1995....if you think everytime you click send the person on the other side is definetly going to get and read your email anymore...you are sorely mislead. Email is only about 92% guaranteed to arrive on a good day.

I get over 500 emails per day myself and I'm positive I have mistakenly deleted peoples email all the time.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:48 PM
TailTwister

The color is the same or different on the new one Dion?

And for the record, I vote for the 65 inche Yak for the next ARF. I just can't bring myself to build something like that. I struggle to build a small plane.

Many companies (and individuals) filter out e-mail that is from any of the companies (free e-mail mainly) that automatically attach or embed something. Often stuff gets erased that doesn't need to be. Personally I hate that crap. Someone sends an e-mail and it's got a freakin' banking ad on the bottom or something.

Anyway, back to the post here. I hope you get what you need from OMP. I don't know crap about John, but Dion has admitted the mistake and posted his apology here. I think the sooner you get a plane, the better you will feel. Bros need to fly...
Old 08-05-2004, 04:05 PM
STLPilot

65" Yak is the next coming ARF, (Gator design) along with the 79" Yak ARF and 80" Edge ARF. They are coming in on a seperate container before the Accel Hobby 48" Katana's and OMP 47" Yaks.

The color scheme is going to be white or yellow, but same Katana trim. Those are vinyl graphics that are applied and can easily be removed ... so now you have your base color ARFS in 2 colors.

I am working on email signup forms on the website for each new product arrival that you can get on the pre-list for any of the new ARF's coming. We also now have a newsletter signup on the homepage so you can sign up for general announcements as well. However ... the newsletter will come as an email. Ironic ...
Old 08-05-2004, 08:24 PM
seanychen

Sign me up for the 65" Yak ARF. I have an YS 110 coming. Thx.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.