Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Webra 50 or MVVS 49 ?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Webra 50 or MVVS 49 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 06:55 PM
johnhardy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Webra 50 or MVVS 49 ?

I'd like to hear some opinions on which engine you all think is the best. The MVVS looks to be a great engine but I see that it doesnt get anywhere near its potential without buying, at the least, the tuned muffler for $43 ! That certainly raises the price a bit.

Here's the scenario : Last year I bought the Goldberg Extreme Edge. I never got it together because I started reading how heavy it turns out to be. (Guess I shouldnt buy something for it's looks, especially right when it comes out eh?) Anyway, now I've decided the hell with it... I'll put it together and see what it's like. If I hate it I'll just move the engine & radio over to another , lighter airframe.

So here's the deal as far as I can tell. The plane apparently comes out tail heavy so I'm thinking it needs a fairly heavy engine to balance out right. The Webra is a bit lighter and I would, at the very least, have to put the Rx pack out under the tank for it to come close to balancing. Even then I may have problems with the CG. However, from what I can tell the Webra is less expensive and should perform better with the stock muffler.

What should I do ? []

- John
Old 09-26-2004, 07:25 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Webra 50 or MVVS 49 ?

If you are like me, the engine will last much longer than the plane. "Lighter" is rarely seen as a negative attribute when it comes to engines.

Eric
Old 09-26-2004, 07:51 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Don't have anything bad to say about either of the two, Both good engines/good power. If it was my choice I would would go for the MVVS myself, great power on 5% nitro and hands down the easiest starting 2 strokes I have ever had. I can lightly flip the prop backwards and they will fire right up. I think the quality and reliability of MVVS engines are one of the best kept secrets in the modeling world.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:10 PM
johnhardy1

CCRC1,

OK if you compare both engines performance using their stock mufflers, regardless of weight savings , which one wins ?

-John
Old 09-26-2004, 08:35 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

The MVVS does not come with a stock muffler so that would be hard to compare. Morris Hobbies, the US distributor, only sells it with the tuned pipe or without. Unfortunately, you will have to compare it like that. Both are good engines, you really cannot go wrong either way IMO.
Jeff W.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:10 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

JWilliams is right. My choice would be the MVVS if you are looking for performance.
That said, again I have nothing bad to say about Webra and I have owned many and currently have 4 of different displacements.
This is kinda one of those Ford/Chevy questions, both good products, but each has its die hard supporters who won't budge when it comes to loyalty.
If you want some additional info on MVVS engines, do a search here on this site. I have seen some threads where folks are asking about this brand engine because they want to try one and got a lot of posts from folks who are using them. There is also a manufacturers support section on this site for MVVS and the moderator there can provide you with any info you may need. He is a distributor for MVVS and is very knowledgeable about the product line.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:17 PM
johnhardy1

Jeff,

I guess Im talking about the muffler(silencer) that it ships with. Apparently its one of the others that gives a substantial jump in performance. I guess its all relative as I could put a pipe on it. I was really wondering if anyone thought one out-did the other "as is", without the added expense of an additional muffler/tuned pipe.
Morris lists four "silencers" for the 49. My understanding is that it ships with the #3245A silencer but I might see as much as a 2500rpm jump using the #3248. I am only going by what I read here. Is this not correct ?
Thanks !

-John
Old 09-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Boogie

MVVS!!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 05:51 PM
johnhardy1

I just wanted to say I ordered the MVVS along with the #3248 as I've read that it really helps the 49's performance. I'd still like to hear from Jeff or anyone else who may have some input on this.

Thanks !

PS. ANyone know what size prop nut fits on the 49 ?

- John
Old 10-04-2004, 07:50 PM
JWilliams

Sorry John for the delay in getting back online here. I am not up on the part numbers for the MVVS 49 silencers. I use what it termed as the mini tuned pipe. It does not provide much in the way of noise reduction, but it seems to get good performance. I use an APC 11.5 X 4 prop and 5% Coopers fuel. The MVVS does not like nitro, use the 5% of a good fuel and you should be fine. I have not tached one for quite some time but it seems they do about 14K on that setup. Jeff W.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Cabane
My Feedback: (2)

I have the 49 with the stock silencer.. as sent from Just Engines in the UK. It is a damn good engine. I like the low idle knob adjustment as opposed to using a tweeker screw driver. Contrast, the low needle knob ,on mine, is a little loose and easy to acidentally mal-adjust it. The stock silencer was kinda of wierd. It had a thin outside shell that was welded on. The weld fractured and the shell, well shelled. The noise went up a little as well as the rpm. I've been running mine on Byrons 10 nitro 18syn/cas oil. My personal universal 2 stroke fuel. Although I don't have a Webra 50, I have a Webra 32 with ultrathrust muffler. If the 50 is cut from the same cloth I would lean towards it. But, price, availabiltiy yada,yada would also be a factor. So, buy both of them and let us know!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:03 AM
JWilliams

You can go higher nitro with the addition of shims under the head. I choose 5% and have had great success. Glad to hear you are running 10% with success too. Jeff W.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:23 PM
f2racer

I've got both. In terms of weight, yes the Webra is a little bit lighter, but on 5%, the MVVS is a little more powerful (using tuned pipe on both, the MVVS will usually run 300-700 rpm more than a Webra given the same prop). That being said, I've found that my Webra will tolerate 5-10-15% fuel without issue (and can usually make up most if not all of the power difference if I use 15%), while my MVVS doesn't like any more than 5% (and actually runs nearly as well with FAI 0%)... So I'd consider it basically a draw between these two engines.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:50 PM
BN Models

I always go with the WEBRA