Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
 OMP Edge 540 80" ARF, how to mount a narrower 4-stroke on there? >

OMP Edge 540 80" ARF, how to mount a narrower 4-stroke on there?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP Edge 540 80" ARF, how to mount a narrower 4-stroke on there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:11 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP Edge 540 80" ARF, how to mount a narrower 4-stroke on there?

I bought the 80" Edge ARF for the Moki 1.8. But I kind of want to put my YS 140 DZ on there. The only problem is that the engine mount beams are too wide to mount the YS 140 on there. The centers of the 4 mounting holes on the engine would line up with the edge of the beams on the plane. Am I out of luck?
Old 11-12-2004, 02:01 AM

Default RE: OMP Edge 540 80" ARF, how to mount a narrower 4-stroke on there?

Well a tiny problem yes. But nothing too major really. Why not just glue some Spruce or some hard wood on to the mounting rails that are there currently? See the problem is that when you are going to drill the new holes you are probably going to split the newly glued wood off. So you will have to use good epoxy and care when you do the drilling. You should be fine other than that. Just make sure the current rails are nice and clean as well before you glue the new filler pieces in. And don't glue small filler blocks on there. Glue long pieces that will get a nice and big area to stick to. Hope you know what I mean. Other words the filler pieces should cover the whole lenght of the mounting rail. And well you would like to make them as wide as possible as well. In other words the engine should barely fit inbetween. Remember also to fuel proof the whole thing again before fastening the motor.

Wait for a second opinion on this one. I am not the guru on wood work. This is what I would have done but someone else might have a better idea.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:20 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Spacey is zackly right. I had to do just that on my 79" Yak. IT was built 1/2" too big from the numbers I gave him. I just epoxied 2 1/4 strips of hardwood with 2 hour epoxy. Use a VERY fast drill bit when drilling. Make sure you run the strips of wood as long as the inside of the rails.

It's will hold no prob, even if you do drill into the glue joint.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:23 AM
My Feedback: (21)

When I said use fast drill, make sure you use fast drill with sharp bit, but push slow. Of course if you can lay it on the drill press, that's the way to go.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:09 AM
My Feedback: (4)

The problem is, I already carved out the aft part of the rail to fit the Moki 180. The foward half of the rail is still clean though. So I still have some real estate to glue the wood on; just won't be the whole 9 yards.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:50 AM

Well you could of course cut the forward part off so that you have a nice straight and clean area to glue the new rails to. That's about the only option I can think of. Trying to fill the back is going to make the whole mod come out weaker. Not ideal.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:49 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Sean,

All of the above suggestions are what I would recommend also as the designer of the giant profiles. For added security if you are worried about only having marginal glue surface is drill 1/8" holes in front and behind the engine from the new wood into the stock engine rails and epoxy in some 1/8" hardwood dowels to act as pins. This would require drilling at an angle since you can't get a whole drill indide the engine rails!

Here's another thought I just had: Don't even use more hardwood but simply make a motor mount adapter plate out of perhaps 1/8" aluminum plate or even carbon fiber plate. Design this so you can bolt it to the existing hardwood engine rails and drill to match your engine. The overall shape would be like a "U" shape. Get the idea?