Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

OMP's 80" edge vs 79" yak

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP's 80" edge vs 79" yak

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 05:13 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OMP's 80" edge vs 79" yak

which would be the best first big profile? which one hovers, knife edges, flastspins, etc. better?
Old 11-13-2004, 09:59 PM
wagas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OMP's 80" edge vs 79" yak

I tell you what I've already had the giant edge, you buy me the Yak and I'll let you know!

The edge was a big kite for me, BUT a GREAT airplane. I keep trying to find a way to buy the Yak but with Christmas coming we all have our priorities and mine are the kids right now. More than likely I will end up getting one sometime next year....after I finish building mine and my buddies OMP Hybrids....
Old 11-14-2004, 07:27 AM
STLPilot

Of the 3 moves you asked the Edge does them easier. Both are big kite's like Wagas said. However the Yak can turn into a tumbling monster when you want it too.

The Edge is a bit more stable, but then again they are both so stable as compared to a smaller profile. The Yak also has a stronger rudder with comes in handy for 3D.

Most people start with Edge and go to Yak.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:35 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

To quote the Man! (copied from the thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...tm.htm#1987231

"AFSalmon
Super Contributor
Status: offline The Yak does have a wing very similar to the Extra and CAP and thus the different stall and snap characteristics. But the Yak also has similar thrust lines to the Edge so handling in my book is better than the Extra or certainly the Cap. My view is that the Yak 54 really is the best combination of the Edge and Extra characteristics. Now for flying differences, the shape of the Yak fuselage and fin/rudder combination really gives it superior rudder authority. I've said this before about the Yak and it's true no matter what size plane we are talking about. The bottom line is if you are new to 3d and need a rediculously stable plane to learn hovering and TRing with then stick with the Edge 540 platform. Once you are good, move into the Yak 54 platform as it offers more agility than the Edge but of course for this you have to learn to work the sticks more. The Edge you can just push the sticks and the plane almost does the tricks for you.

Mike Pilkenton (callsign Salmon)
www.ohiomodelplanes.com
Member of the Profile Brotherhood
Old 11-14-2004, 03:22 PM
mrbigg

thanks guys. i think i will go with the edge. i have seen one fly and it looks pretty stable in a hover. wagas- i know what you mean- times is hard, santy be broke! maybe santa will bring me one for christmas!
Old 11-14-2004, 04:59 PM
STLPilot

If your thinking about ARF version don't wait too long to order, they won't be round too long.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:02 PM
mrbigg

STL-the arf will definitly be out of the question this time of year. i really like to build anyway(except in the middle of summer when i'm out of planes to crash- oops i mean fly, and i need one in a hurry)!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:03 AM
wagas

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

STL-the arf will definitly be out of the question this time of year. i really like to build anyway(except in the middle of summer when i'm out of planes to crash- oops i mean fly, and i need one in a hurry)!

YEAH! I LIKE THIS GUY!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:35 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for digging up my old post. It pretty much states the facts between the two. By the way we have brand new kits in stock with improved and stronger wing to fuselage design. Kit building rocks!