Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Morris Fun Design Hover Tips?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Morris Fun Design Hover Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 11:09 PM
Derek8819
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morris Fun Design Hover Tips?

Hey all. I have wondered since I recieved my fun design last august why it doesnt hover like my sudukhoi and i have tried to get it to hover better. It hovers but takes alot of work. Anyone have any suggestions? I have an mvvs .40 on the nose which runs bad to start with about a half gallon to a gollon through it. It just doesnt feel like it wants to be there. Should i use ele-flap mixing? what suggestions for the plane and engine? If anyone has one what is some nice manuvers it can do? 3d? just anything you know. Thanks Alot and Welcome to RC Universe!
Old 12-15-2001, 04:02 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

Default RCO

Derek, make sure your CG is moved back to at least 33% from the leading edge. Laterally balance the plane, and fly (watch) the nose, not the tail, in hover attitude. In regards to the MVVS, they like 10X5 wood props (as well as many others). The 40 gets grumpy if you overprop it. I cannot stress enough break-in time. It won't be getting broken in well until it has about 3-4 gallons through it. The unique thing about them is how quick they respond...but...break in takes a long time for a true ABC engine. I won't get into the topic of heat cycling, but warm up and cool down is what tempers the important components in that engine. Many, many heat cycles down the road, you will start seeing a consistent pattern/run with that engine. If you have patience and don't "lean run" that engine, you will end up with an incredible performer. The MVVS 40 LOVES 6 and 8 oz. mouse' can mufflers! If you don't want to wait for the end result with the MVVS and prefer a quicker break-in engine, you should be able to quickly sell the MVVS in the engine section.

Hope this helps

John Wells
Overland Park, KS
Old 01-03-2002, 02:33 AM
vertigo
My Feedback: (1)

Default fun design hover

Hey Derek 8819,

I agree with you 100%, the fun design is a handfull to hover. I have a Wasp, Morris Su du khoi, Top Cap, and fun design. My fun design has the Rossi 45 RE (Powerhouse) and it's no fun to hover,thats for sure. The other funflys have os and tt engines which run a little smoother or gentler through the mid-range where we hover at. I don't know if that's the reason they hover much easier or it's the design of the fun design that is the culprit. The FD with the powerful rossi and 11-4 prop does a good climbing tornado. To try it go into inverted flat spin to left(this is holding right rudder along with full down and some right aileron and probably full throttle)and then reverse rudder to left, add full right aileron if not already there. I usually fly 3d with flap-elv mix, but for the tornado turn it off.
Oh, I just read your post again and you mention your engine is not in top form so the tornado may not work for you.
The Wasp and Sudukhoi are my favorite of the bunch.