Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
CG on Sigs ultimate fun fly? >

CG on Sigs ultimate fun fly?

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

CG on Sigs ultimate fun fly?

Old 09-15-2002, 10:16 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG on Sigs ultimate fun fly?

Finding out that the cg on this plane with a Saito .72 is very nose heavy, So I'm mounting servos in the aft of the fusalage. Any body else do this?
Scott
Old 09-16-2002, 02:28 AM

Please let me know how that goes for you. I'm finishing the covering on mine and plan to use the Saito too. I was going to try and cut an ounce or two out of the nose of the plane before mounting the engine and covering the fuselage. Otherwise, I'll look into tail servos as well.

Thanks,
Old 09-16-2002, 03:13 AM

TailTwister.
Think it will work out good. I put the elevator servo about 1/2 inch in front of the vertical stab, and going to put the rudder servo about 6 inches in front of vertical stab, or where ever it balances, Your probably to late to cut holes out of the ply nose doublers. If i build another one, i'm going to do that. what type of covering you going to use? I'm using Ultra coat transparet.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:26 AM

I'd use a 1 inch hole saw and cut 2 or 3 holes in the nose all the way through. I'd miss the maple, but cut the rest through. I'm covering in Deep Blue Ultracote to match my Goldberg Ultimate.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:56 AM

TailTwister
Sounds like we are building teh same plane. I used a 1-1/2 hole saw and cut 2 holes all the way through the fuse where the tank sitts. I'm using blue yellow and kevlar for coverings. will have a picture soon. Going to send it to Profile brothers, along with my Hot Wasp.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:55 PM

Two holes and you're still nose heavy? I figured with two 1 inch holes and a 1/2 dozen 1/2 inch holes I'd balance OK. How are you going to route the servo leads? I'd hate to have them just running down the side. How do you plan to re-inforce the balsa fuse for a servo mount? What servos? I've got a pair of HS-225 MGs I hope to use. What else are you changing?
Old 09-18-2002, 03:09 AM

TailTwister
I'm going to use the holdowns that were supposed to be used for the pushrods to hold wires in place. I'm using Towers standard servos 65 metal gear for the elevator and a 53 for the rudder. I also used a piese of 1/8 x1/4 spruce stick cut into 3/4 inch lengths for servo mounting then hardened the balsa with thin CA, The servos are mounted off set 3/8 of a inch from each other and as far back as I could get them without going under horizontal stab. Balances perfect. I would assemble the plane and tape the servos in place before cutting any holes then you can get the CG where you want it. I'll try and get a picture this weekend.
Later
Scott
Old 09-20-2002, 01:46 AM

hey guys. If I were you guys I'd buy longer landing gear and bigger main wheels. This plane has it's strengths and wknss'---ground handling being one of the negatives. Just a thought.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:54 AM

You'd better mount every thing back--as you've said--but also know that the CG on this craft isn't as fickle as some. You will likely make ajustments to the aileron couplers e.g. spacing once or twice ---between flights before you are comfortable with the performance. The plane will fly funky until you get the ailerons right. ------ps---it's the most blinding flat spinner of any profile ( if you like FAST flat spins)
Old 09-20-2002, 02:39 AM

What type of aileron adjustemts are you talking about? rods to weak?
Thanks for the info.
Scott
Old 09-30-2002, 03:17 PM

Default All done

Well she's done. I just have to put the vinyl "BLUEHAWK" logos on later today. I cut four 1 1/2 inch holes in the nose and put both tail servos (HS-225MGs) in the rear. I have the elevator servo just beneath the LE of the horizontal stab, and I put the Rudder servo just in front of that. I ran the leads as "onewing" suggested. It looks to balance with no lead right on the dot. I'll play around with the CG after a few test flights. The Saito 72 looks right at home, but will require some lead in the left wing for balance. I put a 14x4 APC on it, but may experiment with a 15x4 cut down a bit. That is, if the blade is any wider. Anybody got both to compare for me? I have standard size servos in the wing. I'm using a micro servo for throttle, and a 600mah 6 volt nicad pack. I put the tank mostly on the CG, actually not centered, but close. The colors are deep blue and bright yellow. It's almost like the Goldberg ARF colors, just a brighter yellow. The sides have "BLUEHAWK" in block roman and the top wing says "TailTwister" in a script font. I'll try to get a pic soon. I gotta get a digital camera.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:52 AM

Tail twister,
Flew mine this weekend, fly great, I'm using a 14-4 w APC and it will hover at 1/4 throtel torques eaasy. Mine flys like it is a little tail heavy but that is alright. roll over and du inverted hands off.
I-v got one picture on my picture site. It was taken by a friend and is to big to post here.
try this
http://photos.yahoo.com/osfp40
click on My PLANES folder then click on Fun Flys folder.
Later
Scott
Old 10-01-2002, 03:15 AM

Did you set the CG where the plans show? On my first one I balanced it on the CG per plans, then moved it back a bit. I expected the same for this one.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:41 AM

Set it like on the plans. but is a little tail heavy on thier mark
Old 10-01-2002, 12:44 PM

Wahoo! Maybe no lead after all!
Old 10-15-2002, 09:45 PM

Default Picture

I got a pic of the plane done finnaly. This plane is one of the easiest to hover with the se3rvos in the tail .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30726_2835.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	16457  
Old 10-15-2002, 11:52 PM
My Feedback: (46)

hey guys:
I mounted a saito 72gk on my ultimate fun fly, plane is all stock according to plans & it ballanced out perfect. No lead & no mods, I have never had so much fun. This plane will do every thing in the book. positive & negative flat spins are very flat, all I can say is it is awesome. I am spending so much time @ the field that the old lady is getting very pi#$ed off but it is worth it.
Great little plane