Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Fusion Carbon I-beam assembly location

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Fusion Carbon I-beam assembly location

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 01:30 PM
bluesago

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fusion Carbon I-beam assembly location

I like the carbon I beam idea so much that I am putting them in the 47" Edge. But I can't tell for sure from the Fusion online manual where they are.

I can see that the one I-beam glues to the top of the motor mount and goes back to the tail.

The other one is the questionable one. Does it glue to the very bottom of the fuse, taking the place of the balsa cap on the bottom. If so, does the side sheeting then lap across it?

I put a 3/8" Al-carbon tube in my Katana ARF above the wing. It handled numerous dorks without the fuse breaking behind the wing. Before the tube I broke the fuse twice. But I like the carbon beam idea better.

Of course, some people never crash, which always amazes me.

Balin

Edge 47
Katana Arf
EF Edge 540
Su-do-khoi
etc
Old 11-09-2005, 02:17 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Default RE: Fusion Carbon I-beam assembly location

YES and YES. Top beam on top of the rail mount and goes to tail. The other beam is on the bottom and the side sheeting overlaps it.

I like them and they seem really rigid. Hopefully they work as good as they're suppose to.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:32 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: IowaSilvia
I like them and they seem really rigid. Hopefully they work as good as they're suppose to.
The proof is in the pudding.

[link=http://www.dioncini.com/Movie.wmv]THE PUDDING[/link]

The IBEAMS are incredibly strong. Mike put a 40lb car battery on the fuse of the Fusion between 2 objects and it does not budge. The "on end" positioning and sandwiching of the CF beam is the trick.

The next argument we'll get that it's too strong.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:30 PM
bluesago

Now that is a great video!

Thanks for the info. I took the balsa off the sides to put the inner I-beam in. (didn't really have to but see below-am planning to leave the balsa off.) The bottom one I'm going to glue to the existing balsa cap and then sandwich another balsa cap over it. Pretty easy. Adds less than an ounce.

Am considering leaving most of the balsa sheeting off, just put some around the wing hole, servo holes and hstab. Saves more than the i-beams add. The balsa is superfluous for strength at this point and the covering will hide the foam - i know it won't stick to the foam without spray glue, but the way i see it is that it doesn't have to even touch the foam, just span from the outside edges,etc.

anyway, will see, I can put it back on too.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:47 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Look for this proprietary construction method in future OMP planes. The "twin carbon beam" method has proven itself so far with some unfortunate crashes and seems to be well worth the extra efforts. The older OMP profiles will all be updated with this method over the winter time.