Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Washout on a .40 Mojo?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Washout on a .40 Mojo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:45 PM
ksubigbuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washout on a .40 Mojo?

I am building a .40 Mojo and think that maybe the wing is warped. I have a very level and sturdy builing table, but the wing came out with a slight curve to it. Is it warped or is it supposed to be that way? The curvature is very uniform throughout the wing, almost looks like it is supposed to be that way. If it is warped, how do I fix it, or will it even affect flight performance?
Thanks for the help,
Hunter
Old 11-10-2005, 12:11 PM
lomcevek1

Default RE: Washout on a .40 Mojo?

It is not supposed to be warped in any direction. It tapers but that's it.

How far along into the wing build are you?? If you do not have the sheeting one then there is still time to straighten it out before you glue it on. If not then it should not have all that much of an effect. It aint the space shuttle it's just an airplane.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Johnny Mojo

As I read your post it sounds like the wing is finished. If it is 100% finished, then whatever warp is in there was built in. If it is not finished, and you are at, say, the stage of flipping the wing, then there is still time to fix it. When flipping the wing there will be some pulling forces on it because of the absence of sheeting on the top side. The way to avoid building it in is to ensure that you pin the TE of the wing down very well and check for level BEFORE continuing with the build. Now, having said all that, I agree with Lom that chances are you won't have too much of a problem fixing it.

If the warp you are seeing is in the TE, then you can most likely get it out with covering. Not the perfect way, I know, but effective in most cases and you just need to make sure you check it every so often because the covering will stretch. If the warp you are seeing is in the LE, then you built it in there. IMHO there is no way to get a warped LE on this plane or any other that uses notched construction methods unless it is built in. You would literally have to bend the LE stock to conform to another shape.

Can you put up any pics to show what you are talking about?

Hope that helps,
J.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:34 PM
georgec

When I built my first MOJO the TE was warped because when I flipped the wing over and stuck the sheeting TE i did not support the center of the wing with anything and when I pushed down to get it to stick it warped it. And when the glue dried it had a bow in the TE. So I carefully removed the sheeting and supported and pinned it where it was stright reglued a new pice of sheeting and it was stright. If the TE is what you are talkin about it can be fixed if it is the LE like Johnny MOJO said you are prolly out of luck.

Where I said you have to support the center I mean the center of where the alirons go.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:37 PM
ksubigbuck

thanks guys, i tried to take some pics, but the warp is so slight that you can't see it in the pictures. and yes the wing is finished except for the top side sheeting. probably not enough warp to make any difference in flight performance, so maybe I shouldn't even worry about it. let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Hunter
Old 11-10-2005, 02:41 PM
georgec

If it's just warped a little I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Johnny Mojo

Sounds good. If I understand correctly, the "top-side" sheeting has not been applied. If this is the case, and it includes the "top-side" TE sheeting, then you now know what to do To support the TE fully during my builds of the MoJo 40, I went out and bought a piece of 1" x 1/2" stock. I checked it for square and level. I take two pieces of this and pin it to my building board along the TE. When I flip the wing, that's where the TE goes. It gets pinned down flat and flush and THEN I apply the center section sheeting and THEN the TE sheeting. That should get you out of most problems.

Sounds like you now have a good handle on it though.

J.