Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Any one else have this problem with the Accel Hobbies Katana

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Any one else have this problem with the Accel Hobbies Katana

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 08:25 PM
jlobster88
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one else have this problem with the Accel Hobbies Katana

I have the Accel Hobbies Katana .70, i have a Magnmum .91 4-stroke on it. Last week i had to make an emergency landing and came down a little hard. I bent the landing gear and broke the mounting block. I repaired this and then reinforced it with epoxy. While landing today the landing gear moved on me. I thought that the bolts just became loose, so i tightened it up and put her back in the air. On the last landing (which wasn't a rough one) the landing gear just folded back to the wing, after examining the gear it appears that the block broke again. My question is: Has anyone had this recurring problem with this plane, and if so how do i reinforce the planes landing gear to withstand more than 5 flights????
Old 12-24-2005, 10:07 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Any one else have this problem with the Accel Hobbies Katana

Hand launch an catch it out of a hover, just take the gear completely off.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:01 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

no problem so far about 6 flights on mine sweet flying machine i might add and a t-rolling fool[8D]
Old 12-25-2005, 10:13 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

I've had the same problems with the 40 Kat. I had installed the Tetherite legs on mine and found that any landing short of perfect induced a shearing load to the fuse where it is bolted. It was cutting the fuse to pieces. What I did to fix it was to trace around the tetherite leg on the right side of the fuse and cut out the sheet of balsa under the leg. With the balsa sheet off I could see that the area where the screws came through the fuse wasn't into solid enough of material so I put some Gorilla glue into the void and put the balsa sheet back on, put the leg back on, and reinstalled the screws. I should mention that prior to this I had also cut about 2/3 of the tetherite legs off and replaced the lower portion with music wire from the LHS. I probably could have used the full Tetherite leg but I didn't want to keep fixing it. The lower portion now has some flex to it for harder landings. I'm sure they can be set up better than what I've got pictured here but originally I just made it with what I had available to see if it was going to work. I need to take the metal parts of it off and make it out of some better stuff now that I know it works. And yes, it works good. The Tetherite connection to the fuse is real solid now and the music wire can bend back if hit hard enough. It looks a little goofy but it works great.
If you take a look at the new V-2 you'll notice that they designed it with wire legs and got rid of the aluminum gear that was on the first Katanas.................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78237.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	375406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87520.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	375407  
Old 12-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Had similar problems with the stock aluminum gear that came with the Kat... Plus, there's no hardwood in the area where the gear attaches to the fuse... I replaced the stock gear with www.williamsrc.com gear and haven't had a problem since...
Old 12-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Just Plane Nuts

There was a very long thread on the Bro sight for a long time regarding the Kat 70. I believe it was called "If you are stuck with a Kat 70". A lot of them had the wings fold in half during flight. My buddy Nick had his fold up on him in Nashville at a fly in. After many phone calls he finally got a new one and when he examined it is had the same piece of junk butt joined spar on it to. He cut it in half and made a two piece bolt on wing out of it and now it is fine.
Dale
Old 12-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Just Plane Nuts

ORIGINAL: Rob Clement - RC

If you take a look at the new V-2 you'll notice that they designed it with wire legs and got rid of the aluminum gear that was on the first Katanas.................
The new Kat V-2 that OMP is selling is made by a different company calle TM Pro. It has a 2 piece wing design and is a lot nicer plane than the Accell Hobbies Kat.
Dale