Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Accel Kat 40 - elevators, walls and parachutes not stalling

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Accel Kat 40 - elevators, walls and parachutes not stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 02:36 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Accel Kat 40 - elevators, walls and parachutes not stalling

I could not get this thing to stall and stay stalled in an elevator manuever. It would always bob up and and down as if it started to fly and then stall, start to fly then stall, ...etc. I am no amateur to 3D stuff and can do this on all my other planes (except for some fun fly ARF's that I have sold). I'm thinking that maybe my CG needs to go back a little. I have it at the 130mm mark that was recommended. My theory is that if I move my CG back, I will make my elevator surfaces more effective. Then the plane will stay in the "stalled" envelope better.

Parachutes just turn into tight inside loops. Walls also don't stall they just climb straight up. Harriers bob a little bit too. I think all these manuevers are related.

My elevator deflections are max'd out at 50 degrees, they are almost touching the fuse so I have enough there.

Anybody else having this problem? My funtana 40 could do these manuevers perfectly. Inverted elevators were a true sight to see on that ARF. It just couldn't do good knife edges, the thing the Kat 40 does like a pro.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:46 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Accel Kat 40 - elevators, walls and parachutes not stalling

I LOVE my Kat... but it is not the best at Elevators et. al.

there is just too much wing area (that isn't a bad thing!)... it just doesn't seem to stall........

I ahve been able to do it a few times, but I get the same thing... it just keeps flying out of it......
Old 03-05-2006, 07:47 PM
jpen

I think your CG needs to be moved back. I haven''t flown the 40 but the 70 is a harriering freak. Try mixing in a little spoileron if you haven't already.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:24 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

More tailweight and more power on your downline, don't worry they won't rip off. Also before you pull go into a greater then 180 degree starting to go slightly inverted before you hit it.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:25 PM
aerofundan

maybe your CG needs to be moved back a bit more!! it does makes the plane stall different!
Old 03-05-2006, 10:51 PM
JoeAirPort

Thanks for the tips and feedback. I'm going to do two easy things. First I'll seal the elevator hinge line to make the elevator more effective. Also I will move the CG back. I think it's still nose heavy because my flat spins don't flatten out that well. I'll keep ya posted.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:01 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jpen

I think your CG needs to be moved back. I haven''t flown the 40 but the 70 is a harriering freak. Try mixing in a little spoileron if you haven't already.

Agreed...It harriers VERY well... but IIRC, the original post was about elevators, etc. not harriers...

I may be wrong, but I see them as two very different maneuvers..
Old 03-06-2006, 09:59 AM
JoeAirPort

It's true they are different but related. It has to do if the plane will stall easily. I did notice my Kat 40 bobbing up and down in a harrier as well but not as extreme (maybe a better word is porpois but who knows how to spell that?).

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: jpen

Agreed...It harriers VERY well... but IIRC, the original post was about elevators, etc. not harriers...

I may be wrong, but I see them as two very different maneuvers..
Old 03-18-2006, 11:33 AM
MOJO65-9or10

My kat will not do any sort of normal harrier, but it will do a nice HIGH alfa slow walking hover/harrier. I can walk behind it, but if it moves forward any faster it just starts to fly and wobble. It DOES the nicest KE and is very stable while in KE. I am having a ball with mine and think my opinion of it has been a bit harsh in the past. I have learned a ton of stuff with this plane and couldn't help to suggest someone get one. Mine is currently missing 1/2 of its elevator and has a broken hor. stab. All of which was my fault when I touch the tail in the snow and TRIED to fly out inverted and the elevator cought the snow. Good plane just don't harrier well.

Dave

It will get fixed
Old 03-21-2006, 12:49 PM
JoeAirPort

I have not moved the CG back yet. I still need to try some other things before my opinion is etched in stone. It does the best knife edges of any plane I've flown except my Shockflyer 330S. So it flies well just not elevators and parachutes at this point. I need more time.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:32 PM
coveredup
My Feedback: (1)

never got mine to do high alpha either (harrier/elevator). May want to try a sledge or a mojo for that.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:54 PM
MOJO65-9or10

I just trashed my kat and am now finishing my mojo ARF hopfully for tomorrow.

I bet it will harrier too.

Dave