Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

OMP 80" Edge Question

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

OMP 80" Edge Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 07:16 PM
cougar347

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMP 80" Edge Question

I had a heck of a time getting the servo extensions through the tunnel in the fuselage. I used shrink tubing around each connection to secure them. Is there a secret to pulling them through? I used a piece of dental floss to pull them through, but they put up a heck of a fight. I pulled the one on the right side first then tried to pull the two on the left side together. It seemed like they were interfering with each other in the tunnel. Then, after getting them through, I found that my measurements came up a little short. I thought that the 15" extensions would be just right, but they barely protrude from the hatch in the fuselage. I guess I'll have to remove them and get longer extensions. What length is the best? I'm using Hitec digital servos for everything, not sure if the Hitec servo leads are longer or shorter than Futaba leads. I thought that this would be easier than pulling them through my 47" OMP Edge because I wouldn't have to deal with getting them through the wing, but man, this was a major battle. Maybe it's just me and my old age.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 08:34 PM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: OMP 80" Edge Question

There is not much room. I cut my servo leads and used bulk servo wire to get the right length soldered both ends....the plug on the far end and covered the solder joints with shrink wrap. The servo leads slipped thru without any trouble. Radical RC.com sells 25 feet of 22 gauge twisted servo wire for 12 dollars and 1/8 inch shrink wrap for 1 dollar for 3 feet. To find how much length, use a tape measure and measure from the servo opening to yout RX and add 6 inches.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:54 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

1) take a 36"+ ni-rod inner tube and slide it from receiver compartment, through the fuselage, and exit at rear servo cutout.

2) tape both 24" extension chords to the aft end of the ni-rod inner tube, with the connectors (male end) cascading one after another, so they don't try to get through the tunnel with connectors pararrel, but rather in series.

3) connect the servos to the extension plug.

4) pull the ni-rod inner tube from the receiver compartment "forward" until you see the extension chords' male end.

5) place servos into position and (drill &) screw them on.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:11 AM
marc 540
My Feedback: (6)

It also helps if you pull all three wires through at the same time. I pull the right wire into the opening on the left side then tape all three wires together and pull it through as one. much eisier than conections trying to pass each other in the tunnel. Also stagger and tape your conections so they dont come apart inside without you knowing it.

Marc 540
[8D][8D]
Old 03-14-2006, 10:15 AM
PlanePlanter
My Feedback: (9)

Couger,
When you say you used heat shrink around each conection you did remove the plastic male/female part right? If those are still on then yes it can be a PITA to get everything thru. If they are still on then just lift the lil tabs to remove each connecter then join/heat shring each one, should be a lil easier to get thru. I have also done like UltimateFlyer has with no problems at all. Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:55 AM
cougar347

Never gave a thought to removing the plastic male/female connector housings. Didn't even know you could do that. Yeah, those big honking connectors were definitely what the big hang up was in the tunnel. I'll give that a try. I'm also going to order some wire and the stuff to make up my own extensions cut to length from now on-that seems to be the best solution. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:45 PM
PlanePlanter
My Feedback: (9)

No problem Bro