Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

adding ''useful'' weight

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

adding ''useful'' weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:27 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding ''useful'' weight

My modeltech magic is a bit nose heavy and i was wondering if thier anything i could put in the back that would be more useful than just led, i already lightend up the front as much as i could. any ideas?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:06 PM
YNOT

Default RE: adding ''useful'' weight

Move the battery pack back, use an extension if needed. TIP: Tape the conections.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:35 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

i already have the battery as far back as i can without having to chop up the airplane. to get the cg where i want it, it will take 2 ounces, will this affect performance at all and should i not worry about it, most of my models i can get the cg right without adding lead. and does anybody know where the best spot is for a model tech magic cg for hovering? i am aiming for 5.25" back from leading edge. does that sound about right?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With ARFs, I always build the plane before installing the fuselage servos, then relocate them to the rear if needed. I have done several planes this way. I'd start with the rudder servo on top in the rear with pull-pull using rods since they would add weight.

Since you don't want to cut into your plane, you can use heavier servos. Ones with metal gears usually weigh 2 oz. where as the plastic geared ones weigh 1-1.5 oz. You can also use metal rod pushrods like come in many Great Planes ARFs. You can get them from Tower. They would add rearward weight. You might also try an after market tail wheel like the Sullivan one. It will add tail weight and be steerable.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Super D

I have the rudder servo in the tail on mine, That fixed my Magic's CG. With such a small fuselage it's the only choice I had. Beats adding lead. It wasnt hard just mark it and cut it out and I added some small blocks for the screws.

Mine flies neutral upright and inverted, with an OS 52 4 stroke.