Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

What JR tx for 3d

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:08 PM
spd37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What JR tx for 3d

I have been flying for the last 4 years or so. I have an older JR radio, a 621 i believe. If thats wrong don't jump on me about it because i forget the # off hand. Dont think they make it anymore. Anyway i would like to get a new radio and would like to stick with JR. The radio i have now just doesn't have the functions i need and it only has a 2 model memory. I am split between getting the JR 6102 or the JR 8103. I have a Kadet LT-40, a Slow Poke 40, Hanger 9 Twist and a Katana V2 from OMP on the way. I also have a Top Flite P-47 that is on the building board. I really want to get into 3D this summer. I love flying my Twist but only do basic stuff with it. I'm really wanting to learn 3D and get the most out of my Twist and Katana that I have on the way. Would the 6102 give me all the mixing I would need for 3D? I guess what it comes down to for me is I dont' want to get the 8103 if the 6102 would be plenty for what I need. If you think its better to spend the money and get the 8103 let me know. Hope I gave you enough information to help me decide. Thanks for any opinions.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What JR tx for 3d

I would say the 8103 or 9303. Most planes you can do with the 6102, but if you start using dual aileron and elevator servos and multiple mixing for pitch & roll in knife edge you'll start needing the extra channels. If you are going to stick to fairly simple, .46-size 3D planes, the 6102 is OK.

I was flying an 8103 for 3D, but started flying some twins and liked what I saw for twin set-up and the channel "Mate" that the 9303 has so I bought one of those transmitters. Instead of mixing 2 channels for throttle or elevators, you assign a mate channel and turn off the switch for that channel. Now it acts like an automatic mix. Your menu shows left and right elevator and left and right throttle (which you wouldn't need for 3D, but I show it for an example).

The 9303 also has a built in throttle curve which is nice for 3D to let you set a broad band where you hover of harrier. For throttles on twins, it gives you dual throttle curves.

None of this is necessary, but it sure is nice after you use it.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Spacey

I agree with Ed. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't think of buying anything but the 9X II (9303 in the states). Like Ed said there is alot of things on the transmitter you wouldn't use now but trust me the day is going to come where all the little mixes are going to come in very handy and save you alot of headache. Heck I've had some foamies that used quite a bunch of the mixing capabilities my 9X has. And well at some point you might get into gliders and then you're going to thank us you bought a 9X. Don't get me started on helicopters for that matter.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Just Plane Nuts

I agree with both Ed & Spacey. I have a 6102 and all I use it for is my electrics. There are not a lot of mixes and you don't have a separate high/low rate switch for the rudder. I have an 8103 that until recently was used for my profiles. I decided this spring to upgrade to the 9303. It is a great radio and with this one I know that I won't be in the market for a new radio for a long time. What it al boils down to is yes you can fly 3-D with a 6102 but as your skills progress you may wish that you had purchased an 8103 or a 9303. I would recommend that if you a serious about the hobby and plan to stick with it that you should buy the best radio you can afford. When I began flying I made the mistake of purchasing a JR 421 thinking that I would never own more than two airplanes at a time. Well that was 5 years and about 25 airplanes ago.... 3-D It's an addiction[8D]