Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Smith Super Special...

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Smith Super Special...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 11:43 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smith Super Special...

So after years of Stickit IV's, I've crashed my next to last one.

I bought a Smith Super Special off a guy here.

Anybody tried one? Looks like a Stickit V but with more tapered tail feathers..

I got Webra 32's...I also have UT mufflers for them from my outlaw C combat days...got mufflers, too.

Anybody ever try a Jett 30 on one??
Old 01-25-2003, 01:17 AM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

Hey I have one of those! Works just like a Stickit. The difference is the Smith Super Special is a "competition plane." There is carbon fiber here and there instead of balsa. I think the Jett 30 would be much more than you need. The one I have has an OS SX 32 with a pipe. I try to get 15 minutes on 6 oz of fuel. The Stickit and the (Jerry) Smith Super Special were designed by the same guy. I plan on having a stickit or Smith Super Special ready to fly always! Unless the Menace I just need to cover proves to be as good as everybody here says it is
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	50029_16795.gif
Views:	129
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	30799  
Old 01-25-2003, 01:49 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Cool..

The SSS has no rudder? I guess since it's competition, but the ol' Stickit would do some neat freestyle with rudder. Course I guess I could fit a rudder..

I've always been more of a "fun fly" type guy..I just started with the hovering stuff and profiles.

I just never saw much of the competition fun fly guys on here until recently..
Old 01-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Azarr

Originally posted by UltimateFlyer12
The Stickit and the (Jerry) Smith Super Special were designed by the same guy.
Just to give credit where credit is due, the Stickit was designed by Dan Stevens from Albany GA. The original Stickit was the first of the "stick" planes and used a fiberglass heli tail boom. The Stickit II was the first to use the popular .505 FG boom (it came out of one of my kites) the Stickit III was a short lived foam version, the Stickit IV and V were published in RCM and kitted by what used to be my co, Air Flair. Air Flair still produces kits of the Stickit V and the Smith Super Special. The kitted version of the Smith would be a good introductory competition model, and probably competetive in the Sportsman Unlimited class, but things have evolved significantly in the last few years, mostly to smaller aircraft. Smith is basically flying an 85% version with
a 44" wing. The Minus in both the profile and stick versions did well in 2002.

For those interested in Electric Fun Fly, I'm offering some cash prizes as listed on the NCFFA web site and the Eutaville Flyer's page. If you don't think electric could be competetive, you haven't been following the current crop of 100Amp draw motors/planes. The NCFFA comp has always been a place of innovation, try this one on for size.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Old 11-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Fred420
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Smith Super Special...

I know that this is an old forum, but I came across a SSS kit and am going to start building it next week. This is an old kit. It was kitted in 1993 and everything was complete, the box looked rather worn but no damage.

My question is: How do you take off with one wheel landing gear? I am using a Enya SS .30 on it. Any suggestions as to prop size? I am thinking about changing the LG to a 2 wheel system. One mod that I have made, was to extend and expand the verticle stab and add a rudder. I will mount the servo in the wing in between the throttle and the elevator servos.

Also........where do the Rx and Battery go? In the instructions, all it says is to balance the plane with them.

I will post pictures of the build as it goes. Got any pictures of your's? Let's see them.

Thanks for any info,

Fred420
Old 11-05-2005, 07:26 PM
UltimateFlyer120

Fred the SSS calls for a one wheel setup. The one wheel works well. To take off power up the throttle and up elevator. 5 feet take offs are easy to do. My RX and battery were located in the wing bay up front. I think my CG was extreeme tail heavy and it was no big deal. I learned lots of flying techniques with both the Stickit and the SSS. You might want to bend some 2/56 rods and fit them on the outside of the wings to keep the ailerons from scraping on the ground. I flew the snot out of these models. I've never had a Enya SS .30. I used an OS 32 with pipe and used a 10X3 APC prop. I was told by much better pilots than me to put a 10X4 prop on it. Speed will destroy this model. I also used quality MG servos. The ailerons are 5 inches from leading edge to trailing edge. I think you can't help but enjoy the SSS.

Victor
Old 11-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Fred420

Thanks Victor.............my plans do not show a bay in the wing to put the Rx and battery in. Did you make one and if so, could you shot a picture of it for me?

Thanks,
Fred
Old 11-05-2005, 07:46 PM
UltimateFlyer120

Fred I had the RX and battery next to the fuse and at the leading edge between the wing sheeting. I sold my Stickit and SSS. I have a MoJo that is even better!

Victor
Old 11-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Fred420

300+ hits and only 3 of us has one????????????[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I will post build photos as I get it done.

Let's see some photo's of your fun flyer.

Fred