Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

NJ One Design

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
SKYHI1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NJ One Design

Mike,

I like Dubro Feuel Tanks. I mounted one on my Joe Birdi Profile. I thought it worked out ok. 6oz at full throttle goes quick. I will have to remind myself to set the timer on this one.

Thanks
Frank

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10184.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1169446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37327.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1169447  
Old 03-30-2009, 08:04 PM
XTOL

ORIGINAL: SKYHI1

Mike,

I like Dubro Feuel Tanks. I mounted one on my Joe Birdi Profile. I thought it worked out ok. 6oz at full throttle goes quick. I will have to remind myself to set the timer on this one.

Thanks
Frank

I like them as well. I have them in most of my planes.
Its just the Sullivan RST seems to fit better on this.
I see by the picture you posted you turned the tank
on its side. Thats what I did on my NJ-One last season.
It worked fine but I like the arrangement with the RST
tank better.

yea...6oz goes quick on a 46. But I built mine to use
mostly for pylon racing so 6 oz is plenty.

Once you get building it I would like to see some pictures.
You will like it...its a quite good flyer.

Mike Hammer
Old 03-30-2009, 09:06 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frank

I also use an 8 oz tank. There just isn't near the room on the NJ One between the engine and leading edge to mount anything that is to long. Looks like you should be fine though. I did notice that your Bridi profile has a ton more space between the engine and the leading edge.

If you wanna see some more NJ One photos and see a bit more how we use them...you can visit my personal webpage in which I have one page dedicated to our club pylon racing. http://rlmoore1970.tripod.com/id24.html
If you have a slow connection it make take a bit to fully load, but if you really wanna scare the heck out of your wife then crank up your speakers when you visit that page and wait for the sound to load. Sounds like a plane dive bombing the house!LOL
Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 AM
SKYHI1

Mike,

Thanks again or all the support. I think all of us are anxious for the weather to turn into flying weather. I say that Saturday may be an option.

Saturday forcast
Apr 4
Partly Cloudy
53°
36°
Winds from the East 9mph

I may have to take a ride to the club. We are at Grundy County http://www.grundyaeromodelers.com/ We are a small and modest club. But we have fun.

I really like it there. I grew up in Chicago and the farms really hold an attraction for me. That may be why I moved out to the far SW suburbs. We still have a corn field or two around. Looks very cool in fall.

I will post a pic or two. I am sure even when the season starts we will have rainy, windy weekends here in Illinois. There will be plenty of time for buildind. What I like about these builds, is it nice and easy. It is not as intense as a some other plans can be. Also, let me say again. Also, hardly any sanding.

You guys have good day.
Frank

Old 03-31-2009, 03:33 PM
icerinkdad

Hey... has anyone built one of these as a control line profile stunter? It should fly the AMA CL aerobatics pattern as well as any other stunter.
Bob
Old 03-31-2009, 03:50 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: icerinkdad

Hey... has anyone built one of these as a control line profile stunter? It should fly the AMA CL aerobatics pattern as well as any other stunter.
Bob
Not that I have ever seen, but you could be the first. I think it would be pretty neat to see one flying on wires.[8D]
Old 04-05-2009, 04:09 PM
SKYHI1

I dismounted the engine that I am planning on using for this project. I will use a Magnum XLS.46. It is a very Nice engine just not enough umph for me when mounted to the Stick. It was on an "Das Ugly Stick" that I built from RCM plans three season ago. My total weight is 6.2 LBS. It flies it around good, just not really fast. I have to admit that is what I am looking for.
I got some good advice to mount a .61 on it. So I have a NIB GMS.61 that I will put on it instead. This will be my first ringed engine. I don't think it is a big deal. Maybe I will finally learned how to manage a throttle, instead of having it wide open.

I did call AMS plans service and they confirmed the order. Hopefully I should have it some time this week. I have some sheet stock on hand. I think Mike mentioned that the ribs are 1/8" balsa. I have three sheets which I think should be enough.

It is a rainy cold windy nasty day here in the Chicago SW suburbs. I don't think there is alot of flying around here today.

Thanks
Frank

Name:	Mk26382.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1173301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14842.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1173302  
Old 04-05-2009, 06:11 PM
ckangaroo70

Cool Ugly Stick! If you have 3 sheets of 1/8"...you should be good for the ribs. Every other rib is a half rib...so it don't take a whole lot of sheeting to make the ribs. The parts count on the wings is the lowest of any plane I have ever built.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:14 PM
SKYHI1

Thanks. I just recovered it over the winter. But, I am going to make it a tail dragger to reduce some of that nose weight. When I add the GMS .61 I think I get 5 oz more in the nose. I may move the servos for the rudder and elevator back towards the tail as well. I have to see how it ends up before doing all that work. I like it to balance being slightly nose heavy. Sticks are always cool. I may extend the ailerons width by a half inch. I never seem to do a tight aileron roll with this plane. The fuse is straight and equally curved on both sides. The rudder is aligned right down the middle. I think with more control surface throw and more speed maybe it will roll on a tight axial.
If the weather doesn't change I am sure there will be plenty of time. This is not all that I have to fly. It just seems to be the one I always grab.

I know this profile we are talking about rolls nice and tight. My Dart Cart II rolls like it's on a string.

Thank you again.
Frank
Old 04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
SKYHI1

Gentlemen,

I finally received my plans in the mail today. Let the building begin. No construction article. I was surprised. Not that it is necessary, this is pretty easy. I think I am going to do what I did before when joining the wing. Just cut out the rib hole in the fuse and slide it in. I think I will add some web shears to the wing.
It looks like it is a quick build. I like it. I got to go flying this Saturday. It was a beautiful day. I got about 6 flights in. Three on my Dart Cart II and three on my "The Hots" . I think with the Magnum .46 I am planning on mounting to this airframe. It should be as wicked as "The Hots" is.
What is the hook on the tail for? For you racing guys to hold onto while reving up????

Frank
Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM
XTOL

The article is in the Feb 2007 Model Aviation. Wasnt really all that helpful.
Most of us went with the "hole in the fuse" approach to attaching the wing.

My NJ now has an old OS 40 SF on it with a large volume muffler
of a GMS 47. It really sings now swing an APC 10 X 5 at 13800 RPM.
Think I need a little more prop now...its pretty fast as it is.

Not sure about the "hook" in the fin. It does give it a distinctive look.
Kind of hard to cover.

Mike Hammer
Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
ckangaroo70

Glad to hear you got your plans. I am looking forward to following your progress. I think I read that Dick Sarpolus...the guy who designed the plane, just put the hook in the tail just to look different. I don't think there was any real reason except that he just drew it that way. I am getting ready to build my third NJ One for a club member who goes south for the winter to fly and does not build. So perhaps I will follow your build and see if you come up with any different methods when building yours that I might try. If you really want the construction article you can PM me your mailing address and I will drop mine in the mail to you. However it wasn't really all that useful and was aimed more towards building the plane with a foam wing instead of the built up wing like all of our members did. However it is an interesting read non the less.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:32 PM
SKYHI1

Thanks Mike.
I am looking forward to the build. I will try to post a pic or two.

Frank

Old 04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
SKYHI1

Ckangaroo70,

Thanks, I think with the help Mike has provided I will be fine. It is an easy enough build. The hook really was only question. I think your explanation is more probable than anything thing aerodynamic.

Frank
Old 04-27-2009, 04:25 PM
SKYHI1

I got started this weekend. With the great weather we had in Illinois this weekend there wasn't too much flying I would think.
This is an easy wing. I love wings where there isn't alot of sheeting. When sheeting wings I always get glue all over my fingers. I also like the Leading Edge. 1/4" by 1/2" balsa. Not too much sanding here. I am making access hatches for the battery and reciever here. I will mount seperate servos for each wing. So I added a full rib where a half rib was called for on the plans. I will mount the throttle servo right behind the engine. The rudder and elevator servos will go in the fuse tail.

Thanks
Frank

Name:	Kh17809.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1188035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82530.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1188036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61945.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1188037  
Old 04-27-2009, 05:07 PM
ckangaroo70

Looks like you are getting right after it! Looking good Frank!![8D]
Old 04-27-2009, 05:51 PM
SKYHI1

Ckangaroo70

Thanks. I' am having fun. I probably could put a maiden flight on this plane in a week or so. That work thing is getting in my way again.
The ease of construction is why I am falling love with profiles. And with a good .46 the are fast and nimble.

Frank
Old 05-24-2009, 06:41 PM
SKYHI1

Ifinished the covering today. Tomorrow I will mount the engine, servios and balance it. Imade some changes. I built the wing as a single unit and cut a hole through the fuse to mount it. Ihave servos for the rudder and elevator in the rear of the fuse. Also the throttle servo will be right behind the engine. I tried to keep it light. I will be very happy with 4 LBS. If it is a few ounces heavier I am sure the Magnum will handle it fine.
Maybe next weekend will be calm enough for a maiden flight. It sure is gusty today!

Frank

Name:	Pn37803.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1205198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88784.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1205199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80592.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1205200  
Old 05-24-2009, 07:03 PM
ckangaroo70

That is very cool! Nice covering job. I will be looking forward to reading your flight report after you maiden it. I think you will be pleasantly suprised. It is a real fun plane to fly.[8D] 
Old 05-25-2009, 07:36 AM
SKYHI1

Ckangaroo70,

Thanks. I was happy with the covering job myself for a change. I think it will be a fun plane. I loved the wing. Simple leading edge with hardly any sheeting. I added shear webs through most of the bays. Next weekend is looking promising for a first flight. We are suppose to have nice weather with winds under 10 mph for a change.

Have a good one.
Frank
Old 06-11-2009, 06:03 PM
SKYHI1

Hello,

I have my plane finally flight ready. I guess I took my time getting it set up with servos and balancing it. I didn't have to add any weight (lead) , but I did have to push to battery forward to the leading edge in the wing. Ialso got some fiberglass landing gear from Tower Hobbies. It is a pair of Carl Goldberg .40 size profile gear. So with fiberglass mains and standard 2 3/4" wheels it balanced on the money. I put servos in the tail. I liked the ease of set up. If I make another NJOne Design I will move the tail servos forward closer to the TE of the wing.
I plan on doing a first flight this weekend. That is if the weather doesn't change on us here in Illinois. I think most of the country has had a rough spring.
Thank you to all that helped me with this project. You guys are great. I hope we can do a little flying together one of these days.

Frank

Name:	Xv64640.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1216498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83701.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1216499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86510.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1216500  
Old 06-11-2009, 06:12 PM
XTOL

Looks great. I bet it will fly great as well...

Any idea on the weight? Mine comes in right
at 5 pounds.

Ckangaroo70 also used that fiberglass gear on his.
I used a hunk of hardware store aluminum on mine.

We are having our club pylon race this weekend and most
of us will be flying NJ Ones. Let us know how the maiden
flight goes...
Old 06-11-2009, 06:27 PM
SKYHI1

Mike,

I got a total weight of 5 LBS 1 oz. That is still a light load for the Magnum .46 that I have on it.
I had the hardware store aluminum on my other profile. It's weight was only 4LBS and no matter how soft the landing, and that plane floats in. I would always get bent gear. I tried 3/4 " then 1" and finally 1 1/2". Forget it. That's why I popped for the fiberglass gear. It took 3 to 4 days , but I think it will be worth it in less probs.
Good luck at the races. I wouldn't mind seeing it, except when I think of the drive time I change my mind. I do allot of driving all week and you get so you don't want to drive.

Thank you.
Frank
Old 06-12-2009, 05:15 PM
ckangaroo70

Frank

Good luck on the maiden! I think you will find that it was well worth the time to build. I have found that the more you fly an NJ One...the more it grows on you. I have mine all greased up and prepared to either take a first place tommorrow or wipe all the other guys out trying!LOL Anyhow...report back and let us know how it went.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:25 PM
SKYHI1

Ckangaroo,

Good luck with the race. It's suppose to rain in the morning. I may end up going in the afternoon. I am looking forward to the flight. I really liked the quickness of the build. I expecially liked the leading edge of the wing. Quick and easy without sanding!

You guys have fun at your club race.

Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.