Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

looking for info on profiles

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

looking for info on profiles

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:47 PM
ttarkowski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for info on profiles

I'm looking for some info on a profile.
Engine will be either a .46 evelotion or a os 61 max.
Basically need a trainer or rugged.Looking at the omp katana v2 but not sure on trainer issue.
I now been flying a u -can do .46 for about 2 years but now sure if experence will crossover.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:24 PM
CopperheadAV

Default RE: looking for info on profiles

The U - Can do can be a bit squirrely for larning 3D. I would suggest taking a look at the OMP Edge, I think it would serve your purposes well. http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/47edgearf/
It's a great 3D trainer!! They are currently out but they have more on the way if you can hold out for a bit.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 07-29-2007, 12:40 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of the the planes I own, the OMP Edge is definitely my favorite. It makes some people actually think I know what I am doing.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:20 AM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% agreed. The new OMP Edge is a fabulous model. It really does fool onlookers into thinking you know what you're doing with this 3D stuff....

Paul Swanson's Mojo (www.swanyshouse.com) is another one. How do you go wrong these days when there's stuff like this out there?

It's hard to say enough good things about the OMP, or Swanson. These guys are bringing stuff to the table that makes flying the most fun it's ever been, and I've been trying to be good at r/c for 30+years.

Eeney, meeney, miney, mo.....make your choice. I don't think you can lose.

Have fun!
Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

The OMP 47" Edge is available in kit form right now and as Tim said new ARFs are probably 3-3/12 weeks out. I designed the Edge to be exactly that: A 3D trainer. Surprisingly it performs as extreme as anything out there......given the right thumbs.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:35 AM
SukhoiKid
My Feedback: (15)

Here are a couple of airplanes I would suggest. The Kat v2 is a great 3d trainer. Very stable in a lot of the manuvers if set up right. Also The Burrito or Mojo from Paul are also great airplanes. I have flown the Burrito before and it was VERY easy for me to learn to hover with back a few years ago. Havnt flown a mojo but seen videos and they look sweet also. The Extra 260 from tmpro would be great for 3D and precision. You can fly it fast and not worry about it fluttering plus this model comes with servo extensions. Another great profile to get that is if they still sell it is the Extra Special. I know it is not much of a 3D airplane but that was my 3rd plane ever and I learn all the manuvers like rollin circles, flat spins, snaps, hammer hands, etc. It even hovered really well. But the burrito, mojo, kat, and the 260 are great for learning your 3D manuvers with they are all very stable airplanes.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:27 AM
ttarkowski

The u-can-do was refered to me as a good taildragger. I just increased the throws and started hovering with it. i already knew my choce was probally going to be an omp. I just didn't which one.

thank again
Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 AM
CopperheadAV

If you can hover a U-Can-Do, Jump up to a fusion!! You wont be dissapointed!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 AM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: SukhoiKid

Here are a couple of airplanes I would suggest. The Kat v2 is a great 3d trainer. Very stable in a lot of the manuvers if set up right. Also The Burrito or Mojo from Paul are also great airplanes. I have flown the Burrito before and it was VERY easy for me to learn to hover with back a few years ago. Havnt flown a mojo but seen videos and they look sweet also. The Extra 260 from tmpro would be great for 3D and precision. You can fly it fast and not worry about it fluttering plus this model comes with servo extensions. Another great profile to get that is if they still sell it is the Extra Special. I know it is not much of a 3D airplane but that was my 3rd plane ever and I learn all the manuvers like rollin circles, flat spins, snaps, hammer hands, etc. It even hovered really well. But the burrito, mojo, kat, and the 260 are great for learning your 3D manuvers with they are all very stable airplanes.
Edited

Best of luck!!

Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Hobby-Motory

if you just starting up with profiles, go with the TMPro Katana V2 46,
you can't go wrong with that and its a great 3D trainer in the profile market.

There is the Edge V3 as well now in ARF, which is also kind of 3D trainer,
view both of them and eather one you like more go for it, you wont be dissapointed.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:30 PM
CopperheadAV

ORIGINAL: Hobby-Motory

if you just starting up with profiles, go with the TMPro Katana V2 46,
you can't go wrong with that and its a great 3D trainer in the profile market.

There is the Edge V3 as well now in ARF, which is also kind of 3D trainer,
view both of them and eather one you like more go for it, you wont be dissapointed.
Kind of a 3D trainer?? Please explain your view of a 3D trainer, what Naca you recommend (Oh, your designer uses a naca if you didn’t know) what kind of wing dose the Edge use Danny compared to the store bought Kat?? I think Mike uses a bit of a different wing!! Once again, don’t know your own planes and you don’t know the compition??
Old 07-29-2007, 01:07 PM
CopperheadAV

Knock Knock, Danny are you there??
Old 07-29-2007, 01:19 PM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

A 3D trainer has to either have a tube or be EPP??
Old 07-29-2007, 05:24 PM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

NO TUBE, NO LOVE!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:56 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Might want to lighten up a bit there Tim. For one thing I have a receipt that I can post for this kid's purchase. But even if this kid did "work" for TMPro, so what. We have the factory and the designer of the OMP Edge in here trying to plug their own plane. The kid's excited, lighten up.

And as far as 3D trainer goes, which half decent profile plane isn't a 3D trainer? I'll agree the Edge is a solid plane, but it's no better or worst for 3D training then the Katana, it's just different, but not by much. The Extra is a bit more loose then both of them, but still plenty easy to train on. The Extra is by far the best of the 3 in practicing lines, maybe not as good as the Fusion, but costs a whole lost less. Also they all land at walk speed and once they are in the air they all pretty much go where you want to put them, when you put them there.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:04 PM
CopperheadAV

D,

The airframes he described are NOT good trainers, that was the thread topic. Not critizing the lad, and yes he is excited, but let’s give some factual info.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 07-29-2007, 07:31 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Cool. Maybe he wanted something that's in stock too. The Katana is a fine trainer and it's rugged, doesn't have a glass tube, but the plane holds it's own. A heck of a lot more Kats have been sold then Edges and you really don't hear anyone talking about them being too fragile. I remember when Accel was making them, those had some issues, but TMPro took them to a new level.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:12 PM
wessco
My Feedback: (7)

A heck of a lot more Kats have been sold then Edges
Let me get this straight, the Edge that is in question here has been out for a couple of months. The Kat in question has been out for how long? So you preface this statement: "A heck of a lot more Kats have been sold then Edges" by not stating that the Kat 40V2 has been out for quite a bit longer than this version of the Edge. Hmmmmm....doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which one has sold more.

It doesn't matter which plane you get, as long as you get something that you like. That's what it's gonna come down to at the end of the day.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:39 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Actually Dion the OMP 47" Edge has been around for nearly 6 years now and has sold more than pretty much all other OMP profiles combined in both kit and ARF format. It has gone through 3-4 iterarions or "Block Upgrades" as we call it in the Air Force . The current version is the V3 and includes the fg tube in the fuse as well as laser cut complete fuse sheeting. I don't think there is a stronger fuse out there until somebody decides to copy this construction. The next batch of Edge ARFs is due in a few weeks.

I'd like to ask everyone to refrain from negative postings and let's all follow the RCU guidelines. This includes posting unqualified comments about other company products. Stick the facts guys and we'll all have fun.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: ttarkowski

I'm looking for some info on a profile.
Engine will be either a .46 evelotion or a os 61 max.
Basically need a trainer or rugged.Looking at the omp katana v2 but not sure on trainer issue.
I now been flying a u -can do .46 for about 2 years but now sure if experence will crossover.
That evo .46 will be a good match with many of the planes mentioned here. If you're new to 3d, start out by using dual rates on your transmitter and use your low rate. Start out learning the harrier. just ease the nose up on the plane and back off on the trottle untill you achieve a nose up attitude without gaining elevation. Start learning to steer the plane around with the rudder and use the aileron's only to keep the wings level. Try different nose up attitudes until you find the sweet spot. It's different with every plane.

Once you get control and are able to master this manuever, you're ready to try more!! You can gradually add in throw. I like to do this by using both my low rate and high rate switches. That way I can try to add in a little more gradually until I find my comfort level. As your skills increase, you'll find that you're able to handle more throw with out "chasing" the plane around.

The evo .61 has a narrower range of planes it will fit well on. If you try to load it on a .40 size profile, you'll end up with a heavy plane that will make it difficult for you to learn 3d. Look for a 60 size plane with lots of wing area and low weight for this engine. I designed my Mojo 60 specifically to handle this power plant.

Best of luck in your pursuit! It's been a lot of fun for me!