Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Extreme 330

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Goldberg Extreme 330

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:03 AM
gauravag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg <span class=

Hi all,
I just got the Goldberg Extreme 330 today.
Was wondering what the best engine for this plane would be. I have an OS FS 70 , though i would need to enalarge the mounts a bit to accomoddate that. Will this engine make the plane nose heavy ? or make it too overpowered ?

Thanks for all your comments here !
gaurav
Old 06-27-2005, 12:55 PM
delman

I fly one with a saito 72 - the power will be fine using an apc 13x6 or 14x4 on your 70fs. I set the 330 up the way they did in the rcuniverse magazine article.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:52 AM
twist2
Banned

Default RE: Goldberg Extreme 330

I started building my Goldberg, and it is fantastic!! All I have left, is the motor, radio gear, and linkages, and the ailerons
Old 07-31-2005, 08:11 AM
twist2
Banned

mine is done now
Old 08-04-2005, 06:50 PM
THEGRINCMAN
My Feedback: (41)

I fly my Extreme 330 with a saito 72, a 13x4 apc prop, and 30% heli fuel. Unlimited vertical and does what I want to do.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:07 PM
twist2
Banned

ok, today was Maiden, flew rock solid, and was awesome!! Only Problem is motor seems to run poor on 10% fuel which i used in it before, its our club fuel, we get it in barrels from redmax, and so another guy had some 15%, we put that in, ran much better, but just needs tweaked, he said our club should get our fuel in gallons, because it would be more fresh.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:24 PM
CJKling
My Feedback: (1)

I love my 330

I've had it up for about 25 flights now. All std servos with an O.S. .46 AX stock muffler 10% omega with an 11x6, moving to a 12x4 soon. KE is solid, love the huge rudder and elevator. KE spins, any kind of tumble you can imagine, take it vertical, hit your high rates (mine at maximum possible mechanical deflection) and go full aileron, then keep the aileron, hit full up elevator, then full rudder in the same direction. If you hit it at the right time, you'll end up in an inverted flat-spin and you'll be just barely losing altitude. Landing gear are my only complaint, but if I can bend them back, its better than fixing balsa.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:33 AM
gauravag

I have a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro and a OS 70 FS ... which one should be the best ?
I am just starting out my 3d ... so this would be my learning plane .
Thanks for all your comments !
Old 09-30-2005, 06:52 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a set of KrazyLegs profile fiberglass gear from Tetherite Plastics. They are perfect for this and other profile 3D planes. I have them on 2 of mine. You can E-mail them at tetherite@ earthlink.net
Old 09-30-2005, 10:17 AM
tetherite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx again - Ed!
Ray
Old 10-04-2005, 02:25 PM
AeroDave

I had this plane for a very long time with an os 61fx on it. Flew great. I'm considering another but i'd like to use my os 46AX. Are you folks finding this combination enough power to sustain hover?
thanks!
Dave
Old 10-04-2005, 10:09 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered my extreme 330. Keep me up on all the reading I can find so I will know how to get her going good. Thanks Capt,n
Old 10-04-2005, 10:26 PM
gauravag

HI All I just flew my Extreme 330 with a TT .46 Pro. Its such a cool plane !
I have my CG around 5-1/4" and no trim was required to fly straight and level.
One tendency i noted was that when turning into the wind, it kind of stalls, the wind was very little , wven though it used to stall when turning into it.
Maybe i was having too little speed.
But over all its a sweet plane, and i love it !
Thx all.
Gaurav
Old 10-06-2005, 09:16 PM
captinjohn

I have a Supertiger ABC .51. I am thinking about using a pull-pull system to get rid of extention tube and the parts that includes. I hope to balance by just sliding the engine for & aft on the mounting rails. I may even leave the landing gear off and land in tall grass!!! What do you think? Capt,n
Old 10-09-2005, 07:57 PM
captinjohn

I was going to try and set up a pull- pull system.....but decided to try to balance as is with the 18 oz COMO ABC .51 ...a supertiger engine. I want to get her going. Capt,n
Old 10-11-2005, 08:11 PM
captinjohn

UP_DATE....I just about got my Extreme 330 together. I did cut the back out of the tube that covers the wires going to servos in tail. That made placing the wires in easy and saved a little weight. I am also re-doing the tail gear to save weight. The wing alone weighed just under 16 oz. The fuse about the same. I will weigh the total setup when I get a chance. Thanks Capt,n
Old 07-08-2006, 05:24 PM
captinjohn

I really like my Extreme 330 by Carl Goldberg. I did not get to much flying in last fall, but am getting more time on it now. Lots of fun. My Grandson wants one, but I guess they do not make them anymore. There could be some left in some shops I guess. Does anyone know? Thanks Capt,n
Old 07-08-2006, 06:09 PM
GutZee

I just bought one here at a local shop in the Dallas / Ft Worth area for $99. Have not flown yet. Just completed build this morning. CG is at about 5.25". Going to go with +- 1/2 inch throws on elevator and ailerons for low rates until it's sorted out. Using a Saito 72. Weight comes in at 4lb/14ozs. This will be my first glow 3D-er, so looking for some fun with this one! I know they're not the best profile choice now, but for 100 bucks, I thought what the hell.

Thanks for all the good info on the thread!

Jeff
Old 07-09-2006, 08:33 AM
drvcrash

wholesaletrains.com had some left last week. Ive got a new one in the box im building now. I have over 15 gallons thru my last one and its still fixable. I the extreme edge also and love it
Old 07-09-2006, 02:52 PM
GutZee

Had my maiden flights this morning. Flew great with current set up. Flip to high rates after just a couple minutes of flying. Not touchy at all. Harriers are a bit shakey, but I think it can do better with practice. Hovers with less than half throttle. Punch out could be better, but I'm still breaking in the Saito. Great rudder authority. Landings easy. Floats right in with a bit of nose up attitude all the way to touch down. I'm very happy with the purchase. I think "Fun Plane" describes it well.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:50 PM
captinjohn

Yup: I sure like my Extreme 330. It will flatspin too!!! Capt,n
Old 07-20-2006, 05:19 PM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Guys
I'm finishing up an Extreme 330 and am thinking that it would be good if the one-piece wing was detachable from the fuse for those future repairs. I'm looking at making a couple 3/32" plywood plates which would be scribed into and fastened to the fuse saddle. The plates would be about 3 inches square mounted above and below the wing spars and project to form triangular tabs. A flat head wood screw would fasten the tabs to the spars. Spars would be doubled up under the plates. A small vertical plate would be run between the ailerons at the trailing edge to keep the wing square. All this is easy to do but am a little concerned about the flex that occurs all along the wing/fuse joint. The fit is perfect but there is approximately 1/2" total up and down play at the wingtip. The tabs should take about half of this out.

To remove the wing, one aileron would have to be removed and I was thinking of using Robart knuckle hinges which could either be popped or cut off.

Have any of you profile builders tried this with a one-piece wing? Think this is worth the effort? I estimate this mod will add about 1/2 oz. added weight @ the CG. Anyone think the small bit of play at the fuse joint is an issue? As an alternative: does anyone know of a glue which could be dissolved or melted at the wing/fuse joint? As a worst case, I can always epoxy it all together if it doesn't work out.
All comments welcome.

Blue Skies, Green Lights!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:42 PM
captinjohn

You should not have to worry about repairs. It lands like slow motion in a nose high attitude. Use a low pitch prop....12/4 woks for me!!! Capt,n
Old 07-21-2006, 11:51 AM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Capt'n
Some of my rolling circles have ended up as rolling groundloops, hard on the wing. The 330 looks tough, but will still need repairs if I continue flying down low. This is too nice a plane to toss, and did order a second one as a backup, too bad they're discontinued. Great plane at the original price and excellent value at the discounted prices.

Still looking for opinions / comments on my detachable wing idea.

Blue Skies , Green Lights !
Old 07-21-2006, 02:24 PM
AeroDave

Joe,
Just a thought, but why not just beef up the fuse at the TE, which is a common breaking point. It would be lots less hassle. Myself, i'd just fly it like it is. I have one done except for engine and radio. I just gotta get past a couple of other projects to finish it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.