Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

What Is The Best 3d Plane Under 65 Inches

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

What Is The Best 3d Plane Under 65 Inches

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 11:59 PM
3d freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is The Best 3d Plane Under 65 Inches

hello i have a magic but i have heard of some other planes being better at 3d then the magic Eg (top cap) (morris The knife)(flip 3d) whal i was wondering what any of you thought would be the best 3d plane that was small (i like small planes) what would be the best plane for hovering, tight loops, spinning, and realy slow flight
thanx alot
Old 04-23-2003, 12:18 AM
BotleRocketWar

If all you want is hovering, tight loops, spins, and really slow flight the Magic would be a good one, what are you really looking for?

If you want an all-out 3D airplane, take a look at the Morris Hobbies Sledge.

The SuDuKhoi and Top Cap are also good ones...
Old 04-23-2003, 12:57 AM
YNOT

You want one of each because you are the only one who can make that determination.

I have owned most all profile and modern day 3D planes. The one that 3D's the best........is my current plane, a Flip. You asked the same question 6 months ago, I would have said a Madness, before that, Hovering Cobra, Top Cap, Knife, Round-2-It, Fun One, Fazer and so on.

I think a Magic flys like crap and a SE and a Pizzaz are worthless for leaning 3D or hovering.

Get a couple different planes and see what you like.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:52 AM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Get a Sledge

you'll be happy
Old 04-23-2003, 06:27 AM
Eco8gator

Hello

I have a Rippy Pro 3D by www.diamonddustrc.com Call Jeff for more info if you are interested.

It is one of the most insaine planes at my field. It is a longer(wing span, and profile) version of the Rippy masters class competition fun fly. It only weighs 2.6 pound(dry) with a TT36 for power

This plane is mostly made of Fiberglass spar and rods, with lots of kevlar tow and string, carbon holding it together. The control surfaces are all pull pull using kevlar except for the elevator. I am using a steal rod with a carbon tube over it(to keep it from bending).

To top it off I have JR811's on the aleron and rudder and a JR4721 high torque on the elevator so everything is super smooth.

It is very easy to do "tight loops, spinning, and realy slow flight" with the Rippy Pro 3D. This is the only plane I have ever owned(I fly helis but I wanted to get into planes), but I can hover this plane, infact it feels like the Flip 3D(in hover) on Aerofly Pro.

Carlo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	73031_10446.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	44051  
Old 04-23-2003, 07:49 AM
WADE
My Feedback: (19)

Carlo,
Did it just become available? I talked to Jeff about a month ago about this plane and it wasn't available yet. Maybe you have connections?
Old 04-23-2003, 02:10 PM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

Gator is on the right track. That plane he talks about or a MS Models Menace. Leave the Morris stuff on the shelf. Lighter is better and the morris stuff comes in way to heavy, basically you have the same type, size airframes, but the ship is heavier, so you use a heavier motor to get her around, then it becomes less managable than a Menace. Menace takes more of a joke when your thumbs do bad things too.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Tattoo

best 3d plane that was small (i like small planes)
I don't know what your into...but don't forget about the pbf's (24" span) and the PQHOR (32" span)...and the price tag of less than $10 to build one in a couple hours. Not for everybody...but for a cheapskate like me, it's the most fun I've had with R/C in a loooooooong time!
Old 04-23-2003, 03:57 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

I'll second Tattoo's suggestion on the QHOR. Good Lord, such fun for $10 is probably illegal somewhere....

phil in austin
Old 04-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Default I agree!

Even if you decided to buy a kit or ARF, you ought to consider a PQHOR, just for fun and practice. Check out the movies that I have posted of my Awe-HOR (for Awesome - Hell On Rails, a.k.a. PQHOR).
http://www.hsrcm.com/awe-hor_movies.htm
They are a ball! Its hard to beat for the price and durability.'
Kevin
Old 04-23-2003, 04:29 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

You cant go wrong with a morris sledge if you want to stay in the 46 size catagory. It elevators and harriers great. also if you want to go up to 60" check this out http://www.extremeflightrc.com/product_html/60Edge.htm
It will be my next FF. Light wing loading is important BUT a FF can have too light a wing loading for 3d. Try getting a big fat wing FF with a 10 oz wing load to lock into an elevator, Aint gonna happen, it just wants to float, or it porpoises. harriers are much the same. I dont pretend to be an expert at 3d but I do know if you are looking for True 3d ability and not just light wing loading The sledge will do the trick and from what I hear Extreme flight's new FF may be better than that
Old 04-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Eco8gator

Hello WADE

I live really close to Jeff so I can see some of the stuff he is comming out with.

He taught me how to fly on a Dust; he thought I could handle it becuase of my heli experience and I could. All I needed to remember was not to go into forward flight(helicopter joke ). After flying a Dust I wanted one but he told me that I should get a plane that I could could grow with. I decided to go with a Rippy Master Class fun fly but I thought that was too much plane for me and he hold me about his Pro 3D version for some who is leaning toward 3D not Fun Fly Compeition(but still fun fly competitive). He modified a Rippy and made it into a 3D Pro(longer, wing and profile, bigger tank and a few other things). This was actually my first plane building experience, and I very thankful to Jeff for coaching me though the process.

He tested and trimmed my plane at the field and then handed the controller to me to get used to it(no buddy cord because I am using a JR 10Sx heli radio). I got used to it pretty quick. The he taught me how to land, then take off. After that I tried hovering and I could do it reasonably well for my first day of solo flight. I also learned knife edge loop, and loop tough and goes. There was also lots of stick banging, but also some smooth patterns.

All I can say I feel that I definitally made the right choice to go with this plane.

Just so you know, the production kit will have one difference in comparison to mine. The last post on the boom(the one the rudder control surface is on will be moved all the way back to the elevator. There will also be an shape chane to the rudder control surface due to the placement of the rudder post.

From what I hear this plane will be ready to ship in a month and if you can wait this is definitally a plane to wait for.

Carlo
Old 04-23-2003, 10:38 PM
BotleRocketWar

Originally posted by YNOT

I think a Magic flys like crap and a SE and a Pizzaz are worthless for leaning 3D or hovering.

I learned how to hover with a Somethin' Extra...Just as easy if not easier than all of the profiles I have flown... Still a couple levels down from the Flip and Morris planes when it comes to everything else, but it WILL teach you to hover.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:04 AM
adrian-RCU

flip, razzle, u cando and the morris lot thats it
Old 04-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

YNOT, I hear what you are saying. Maybe you will get chastized for now agreeing with everyone on a post like I did here a week ago? Look out for Texas 3D, he knows everything.

I think extreme flight plane looks pretty good. never flown one, but looks in line for basic 3D stuff.

Gator, sounds good on the Rippy, I have had several Dusts and they have been fun, once in awhile we still see a Rippy at a contest.