Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Which profile/fun-fly for ST G-90?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Which profile/fun-fly for ST G-90?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 05:31 PM
CaMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which profile/fun-fly for ST G-90?

I have a World Models Super Chipmunk that I'm thinking about selling without engine or electronics. What would be a good funfly/profile for my ST G-90? I'm thining maybe the OMP Yak-54 Profile but I'm not even really sure I want to get rid of the chippy...The landing gear durability issue with the retracts are my biggest comlaint with the chippy and the place I fly isn't the smoothest. I have to deal with bent gear and I worry that I'll bend it back once too many times and they'll just bust all together. I don't have the funds to upgrade to a full-on Robarts set-up though I have considered just adding the Robostruts without going to all new retract set-up but they are $40 bucks for each strut. The new strut would be attached to the existing wire gear with a set screw so I'd probably still have some bending issues...It's a great plane but maybe time to go...Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts/input about the profile/funfly best suited for my ST G-90 if I decide to get rid of the chippy. Thanks!!

Mike
Old 04-29-2003, 01:10 AM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

I would looking into, the "extreme flight" 60inch extra profile. thats what I am looking into.

If the weight comes in at 6.5lbs like it they say it should, it will be killer with a 90 size 2 stroke.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:38 AM
CaMike

Thanks! I'll have to check that out. How does it compare to the new OMP Yak? I know OMP isn't set to ship the Yak kits until sometime in May but thought maybe someone got their hands on an early release. The 90 pulls my Chippy around with MUCH authority so I would think that it would be insane on a profile!!

Mike
Old 04-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

I wouldnt install a supertigre on any plane that i cared about keeping
Old 04-29-2003, 03:03 PM
CaMike

Constrictor,

I guess you have had some issues with ST engines? Just a guess. Personally, this engine has been great. No problems at all.

Mike
Old 04-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

yes the 90 is a bad engine. i believe the 90 is the worst of the supertigre linup some werent as bad like the st75 wasnt too bad. I guess thats why tigers arent made anymore!
Old 04-29-2003, 05:14 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I have the same setup Mike, and my supertiger g90 runs as well as any engine I have ever owned.

I didn't like the retracts either, and mounted fixed gear on the fuze, just in front of the wing. If I remember right, its a little over 4" across in that area. Just cut a hole a bit bigger than the gear, mount some ply on the sides of the fuze, and epoxy everything in place. There is a ply former that the wing slots into which you can also add some ply supports to.

I cut off the retracts, and will cover over when I get time.

Now I love taking this thing to the field, when before I didn't want to fly, as I knew the gear would get all bent up.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:14 PM
ghenson
My Feedback: (68)

Wow-I've owned several ST 90s and they have all been great. Great power and reliability as well as a nice low idle. Will swing big props too.

How about a Sudukoi 60.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Kevins_RC

Default Love My ST90

Constrictor - I've had great success with my ST90s. I've had a few without any issues. I am currently running a ST90 with a Mac Header and Mac Tuned Pipe on my Ecstasy Fun-Fly and absolutely love it! My Ecstasy Fun-Fly is 7-1/2 lbs, and the ST90 Hovers it at less than 1/4 throttle. I had to program in expo into the throttle so that I could hold it at a constant altitude . Sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience with the ST90s. You mentioned that the Tigers are not made any more? Super Tiger has moved their manufacturing facility, though are still being manufactured and are available.
Good Luck!
Kevin
Old 04-29-2003, 10:12 PM
CaMike

Yeah, the ST 90 does love big props. I'm running a pro zinger 14x5 right now and it just loves it. Also does well with the 14x6 APC. It's so fast on my chippy that I have to use the big bladed 14x5 to help slow it down. I like the OMP Yak-54 profile kit that is due to come out in May. I want something a bit different then what everyone else has and you can't beat the price of their kit. I just have to decide if I want to sell my Chipmunk or not...hmmmm.

Mike
New Pro Bro #????? (Haven't gotten my number yet)
Old 04-29-2003, 10:56 PM
Twister40
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

supertigre is rumored to be moving to china although i think after this long it wont happen. If you look at the tower page of whats in stock there are only a couple of the sts left. I believe its old stock they cant get anyone to buy
Old 04-30-2003, 12:25 AM
Kevins_RC

I've run the APC 15x4W on my ST90 and it loved it. I'm running a Zinger 16x5 cut to 15" dia. with modified tips and thinned blades. I love the quick response of the woodies
BTW - from what I understand, ST has already moved. It just a matter of getting them back out on the market to fill the pipeline.
Kevin
Old 04-30-2003, 11:21 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Hey Kevin have you solved the supply problems with the ecstasy yet. I would recommend it myself but last I heard you were having supplier problems. Any way my Ecstacy weighs a little over 8 lbs and hovers pretty easily with a OS91fx with stock muffler. If you like to build check it out. It is great at high alpha KE, KE loops, flat spins. The only thing I have found it doesnt do real well is harrier. Im not that good at it either but I get quite a bit of wing rock. Besides that It is as good as any FF I have seen or flown. I prefer the zinger pro 14 x 6 on my OS 91fx. I have tried many others but allways come back to it.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Default st90

Put me on the list for one of the bad ones I guess. I have one on a UCD and it barely hovers it. It will slowly climb at full throttle. I'm using a 13x7 apc. When I tried a 14x6 zinger I could give it full throttle and pull up a chair and wait for it to rev up. I have a ST75 on a US60 and it runs great compared to this crappy 90. I bought a Mac muffler at Toledo and put it on and the power was so bad it would not even hover at full throttle. Maybe some are better than others as with a lot of engines but you can have mine, UCD and all cheap!! 8^)

Ron
Old 04-30-2003, 11:09 PM
CaMike

Maybe the ring has gone in your ST 90?? Mine has PLENTY of power!!! Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I guess ST engines are like most others...there are bad ones made and sold but there are also good ones. I've only heard a few bad comments about this engine...much more good then bad...Just the law of averages I guess...the more you make, the bigger the chance of making/selling a bad one.

Has anyone had any pre=production flights or even seen in person the OMP Yak-54 Profile? That plane really interests me...

Mike
Old 05-02-2003, 08:50 AM
edge 3644

CaMike,

I am currently flying three 60" fun flies with .90 engines.
All planes are identical with huge wing chord of 18". Two have
ST G90 and one OS91FX. ST's if tuned right andprecisely are fantastic evenon FAi fuel. Model wieght 7lbs each and with ST's you can squeeze all tricks imaginable from them. Dead sticks never heppen, unles I wish to kill engine high up and glide vertically, loop over ground and land. OS91 gives bit more power for full unlimited vertical climb, whilst ST will stall somewhere on the way.

Good luck
Old 05-02-2003, 01:03 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I have a Morris Hobbies 60 size suDoKhoi with a ST 90... I love the combo!! Engine runs flawlessly on the stock muffler and the plane has unlimmited verticle on a 14 x 6 prop.....

I've also got an Ecstasy kit from Kevin that will handle the ST 90... Gotta get building... I have decided that I will not build another plane until I get my Aeron finished......
Old 05-02-2003, 01:58 PM
CaMike

That Morris Hobbies 60 size suDoKhoi does look nice but I'm a bit turned off by the price...$250 is a bit steep for me right now...Heck Paul, I'm still tryin to scrape the money together to get a FF Taco kit from you so at this point I'm just dreaming about a big profile but....Anyway, How does the SuDo 60 compare in size and weight to the new OMP Yak-54 Pro? Any thoughts...$140 is MUCH easier to swallow then the $250 for the SuDo. Anyway, it's all futile because the finance committee just wouldn't go for either right now but it sure is fun to look and discuss and ponder...Thanks!!

Mike
Old 05-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Kevins_RC

Originally posted by PaulSwany
I have decided that I will not build another plane until I get my Aeron finished......
ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!! <LOL>
Kevin
Old 05-02-2003, 02:02 PM
jldecarlo

Back to the original question: which fun fly for a ST G-90?

The Extreme flight EdgeProfile looks great, but it will be at least June.

What about a UCD?

Leonard
Old 05-02-2003, 02:06 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I have drawings of the ribs for the 60 size suDoKhoi... Wouldn't take much to get some measurements off the fuse.... You could scratch one for less..... It would be allot of work... You could get wing tubes and a sockets from GatorRC...

I ended up drawing the wing up for when I built wings for my mine....

Kevin - Sorry I've been such a slacker... I know how it feels now....
Old 05-02-2003, 06:22 PM
m.gramling
My Feedback: (8)

I have my ST90 on my UCD, My ST90 is weak compaired to what most peoples are.

My UCD weights 7.5lbs dry. It swings a 14x6MA wood prop at 9500 with stock muffler. I think everybody else 90 will swing the prop at 10,500. My motor is inconsitant. 1 flight it will run flawlessly, and then the next flight it will run like crap.

I bought the motor used from a friend. I am fixing to put me a new ring on it, to see if that helps solve my problems. If not I will sell the motor.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:54 PM
xlr82v2

I'm building a Doghouse eXtreme right now that is going to have a G-90 hung on the front of it.

5 1/2 pound airplane with a 90 two stroke.... OH YEAH!

Should be lotsa fun!
Old 05-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Kevins_RC

Originally posted by xlr82v2
I'm building a Doghouse eXtreme right now that is going to have a G-90 hung on the front of it.

5 1/2 pound airplane with a 90 two stroke.... OH YEAH!

Should be lotsa fun!
Try it with a 40 - 50 2C or 60 - 72 4C before you put that ST90 on it. You'll find that you'll ruin the flight characteristics with that heavy engine (ST90) on a 40 size Fun-Fly. There is a point of diminishing return on power to weight ratio, and you would be definitely be crossing that line, way over that line!
Try it! You won't regret it!
Save that ST90 for something that deserves it!
Kevin
Old 05-03-2003, 02:09 PM
xlr82v2

The designer of the DeX recommends the Saito 90 or Saito 100 engine for it as "the perfect combination". The SuperTigre only weighs 3 or 4 ounces more than that, with the stock muffler. A MCP should knock that down to about 1 ounce more or so than the Saito's, if I'm remembering my weights right.

I'm thinking it will be OK... and if it isn't, it is an easy enough affair to just hang a different engine on it. But the reason I went with the Big Cat was it was 1/2 the price of the Saito's... and, I have had nothing but good luck with the Cat's.