Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Will a standard computer 6 channel work?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Will a standard computer 6 channel work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 10:36 AM
edberry22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a standard computer 6 channel work?

I have my OMP FF540 ordered and am wondering if a standard computer radio will be enough to get my feet wet in this profile stuff? If so, at what point do I need to step it up to get the mixers and all the other goodies? Bigger, more involved aircraft?
Old 04-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Hacker

ecajberry,
i'm useing a futaba 6ax radio...does everything i need it to do...plus it was cheap....i wish now i had bought the 9...but all in all i'm happy with the 6ax (5 flight packs currently on that trans)
Old 04-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Tattoo

I'm still a total rookie at all this funfly stuff, but i'm having a blast and still using a non-computer basic nothing mixed 4 channel radio ...Finally getting to the point (yesterday) I can hold a motionless hover for more than a minute (long as the swet stays out of my eyes)...but i'm not ready to try it on the deck just yet. Sure helps to find out ya got a rudder ...darn combat pilots..."hey combat boy...try using the rudder...hey cool!!!":stupid:
Old 04-29-2003, 01:02 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

My JR 652 does me just fine.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:46 PM
edberry22

Then I guess my JR 632 will work for me too.

Im still curious at what point the higher end radios are needed....or is more of a want then anything else?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:40 PM
lomcevek1

<---- 6XAS I love it with six flight packs.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Hacker

Tattoo,
I hear you ....i keep looking for the rudder on my combat spad....once you get the rudder feel with these fun flys you cant live without it....kinda like wifes
Old 04-29-2003, 05:02 PM
PWRDrill

It will depend on your style of flying and how much of it you do. I am a fairly aggressive pilot. I started with the 6xas when learning to fly. After a year I was wishing that I had something more. If you like to push the envelope, alot of the mixing you can do with a nicer radio really comes into play. One thing I don't like is that the 6xas can't switch from flaperons to spoilerons... it's one or the other. I could maybe use one of the programable mixers on it, but I am currently using all of the available "other" switches for "stuff". Either way you'll be fine for a while. Personally, I'd go with a little more than the basic 6.

Kevin
Old 04-29-2003, 07:58 PM
Kevins_RC

As stated above - Its entirely up to you, though you will find that when you talk with the PROs, they will tell you that you should learn to do all of those manuvers without mixing first. A good pilot will make the aircraft do all of those great manuvers without mixing, so if you follow that philosophy, you really don't need to move up - ever!
I'm spoiled personally - I like experimenting with flapperons and spoilerons.

Tattoo - Im like Hacker, when I fly my Flat Bat Combat, I'm still trying to input rudder <LOL> I guess its just the Fun Fly pilot in me, plus I use to fly helis too (mostly full scale, some - RC).
Kevin