Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

120 size profile

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 01:58 AM
777M8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120 size profile

give me your valued opinion for a 120 size profile I have an FZ 140.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:39 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 120 size profile

ARFs/kits in this size are expensive for what they are.

...if anyone knows of a plan for a profile in this size I'd be grateful. Not sure what areas I'd need to strengthen if I scaled up a Taco or something smiliar.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:48 AM
mc71

Default 120 size profile

What about the "Fun World 3D" i think its about that size, not a profile though.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:27 AM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Default 120 size profile

Here's a design I've been messing around with. The plane is loosely based on an Edge 540T and designed around a Thunder Tiger Pro 120...a YS 140FZ would be a killer. Sheeted foam fuselage (with light ply internal structure), sheeted foam removable wings, sheeted foam tail. Why sheeted foam? Simplicity and rigidity!

This thing should build super fast, and the way I've got it figgered, it should weigh around 7.5 pounds RTF (less fuel) using 1 lb density foam and contest balsa sheeting. I suppose you could save a few ounces by 'swiss-cheesing' the tail surfaces and part of the fuselage.

The wing and tail centerlines are on the engine thrust line (vertically). The surfaces are huge (I might add even more aileron and rudder area) and there is 90 degrees total rudder deflection. I wanted to avoid using a built-up fuselage because of the complexity...ever built a Giant Sudokhoi fuselage? WAY too much work for a profile. The current design uses a 1 1/4" wing tube, but I'm beginning to think that it may be too heavy, so I may opt for a smaller diameter carbon fiber tube. Only one elevator servo to save weight...you'd probably need a good strong digital (JR 8411 or Hitec 5945). The throttle servo (micro) mounts under a hatch just behind the engine.

I'll keep tweaking the design and I'd like to start building within a month or so. I'll keep you guys posted.

(Click on pics for full size)

Top View

Bottom View

Side View

Front View

Rear View

-Tom