Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Mousse can vs Tuned pipe

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Mousse can vs Tuned pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 08:08 PM
fla_g8tor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mousse can vs Tuned pipe

Since I was having such good luck with the mousse can on my ultimate, I decided to make another one and try it on my extreme 330 with the same TT46 pro enginesetup, turning a 12.25 x 3.75 prop. I tached it with the pipe and it was turning 14,100, I put the can on and it only turned 13,500...BUT....
I had to lean the needle out a couple of turns with the can, and when I flew with it, the midrange and transition was much smoother, with no more 4-stroking when I throttled down. Since I never really run it at top end for very long, I don't miss those extra rpms, but it locks into a humming hover and just hangs there, much more steady than with the pipe, and a whole lot quieter, not to mention that it weighs an oz or so less also.

Even when running wide open, she leaves a nice trail, so I'm sure that it's not running too lean.

and at 13,500, that's 2000 more than the stock muffler, and it's quieter than that too.

I'm going back to Eckerd's for more mousse cans!!!!!
Old 05-04-2003, 08:29 PM
maddogg
My Feedback: (16)

Default mousse cans

I had a similar situation with my MVVS .40. I was running the stock pipe that comes with the motor and a 10.5X4.5 APC prop and the engine was tached at 14,250. When I put the mousse can on it was tached at 12,100 rpm's. What gives?
Old 05-04-2003, 08:34 PM
fla_g8tor

Evidently the stock pipe that comes with the MVVS is tuned better than the stock muffler that comes with the TT.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:45 AM
fadmuker

Default big muffs

hi guys,
anyone out there got any dB readings for mouse can muffs, most of my engines run on os superquiet silencers as our site has a 79 dB limit, for up to 3 models and a 82dB country wide limit, my current project is a mehers models 3DD with a moki 135 but a quiet muffler is a challenge? to say the least,
I want to rig a m.c.m. on the moki if i can get the noise down with one!!!

its fun to fly funfly
Old 05-05-2003, 10:56 AM
tailspnr
My Feedback: (1)

Im not certain as to the DB levels of a typical MCP but I will tell you that they are signifigantly quieter than a stock pipe and really produce a very smooth, soft motor sound that as far as I can tell is much quieter than anything else at the field.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Realize Guys that a tune pipe is really designed for high end performance, peak RPMs. I have been known to tune headers with a tune pipe to offer better mid-range RPMS, i.e. like a MCM. The MCM development is primarily for better throttle transition and shifting the power band of the engine into its mid range RPMs.
Kevin
Old 05-05-2003, 04:46 PM
fadmuker

hi guys,
what about the size`s, of mousse cans used for
( in mls/oz)
=of a typical 25 size/ 40 size/ 60 size/ 120.size engines
to equate the expansion volume that seems to throttle well in the mid range power band, and reduce noise,
also do the mcm`s need tuning like a tuned pipe on the header before final fitting!!

its fun to fly funfly