Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Missing wood or building error with OMP kits?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Missing wood or building error with OMP kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 10:38 AM
edberry22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing wood or building error with OMP kits?

I have read alot lately about how many people come up short with wood in these kits, and am wondering if its been a building error or actually missing wood?
If it is actually missing wood then perhaps we should have a list compiled and available for folks like me, who have ordered a kit and can run to the LHS for the wood now and gather the pieces needed, before we get caught in the middle of construction to have to make the run?
I would also be curious to see if its the same wood from each kit thats missing.
Now I know these are possibly the least expensive kits out there, but to me, if its incomplete, and its incomplete on a regualr basis, then I for one have to ask myself if its really worth it for future consideration. I have to ask myself, why? Why are the kits not double checked before shipping, seems to me that enough folks have come up short, and no doubt writtin or called the company, that the problem should have been corrected if there is in fact a problem.
Just food for thought here, I am still ready to build it, and still ready make the run to the LHS if it becomes needed because I hear to much of how good these designs fly, but at the same token, read one to many posts of missing wood.

So lets make this the thread of missing wood and start the list so that future builders can make sure they are ready to finish the kit before its even begun.....I would start the list but my kit has yet to arrive.....
Old 05-05-2003, 06:18 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

I built the gS540 and had some wood left over. I can't say that "no doubt", letters have been sent or calls have been made to the company. I just don't know, but they fly great and you should be able to complete the build if you use the correct sticks / lengths etc., where the plans call for them.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:09 AM
edberry22

only one response???
Thanks RCU
Its the response I was actually hopein to see, but still.
I can only draw one assumption, and its the one I suspected in the begining.....
Old 05-06-2003, 11:15 AM
wagas

No wood missing in my GS540 kit. I had some left over as well.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

So far so good in my kit. All is there and I love the way it is designed.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:10 PM
jldecarlo

My kit was short some wood (less than $5 worth, and I had it in my scraps box anyway). I can't really say if more frugal building would have saved me the effort.

At the cost of the kit, and with how well it flies, I didn't complain - I ordered a backup kit.

Leonard
Old 05-06-2003, 03:26 PM
pinball-RCU

I just finished the .40 sized Edge, and thought it was a great kit. I didn't notice being short any pieces, but I do have a few scraps of balsa around that I might have used. Certainly, it wasn't short any of the unusual sized pieces, like triangle stock or the hardwood pieces.

The thing folks should understand is that this kit has very few cut pieces. The only cut pieces are the wing ribs, and the light ply that reinforces the nose. Everything else is sticks, and it's like you're building from scratch. As a result, the order in which you cut pieces probably makes a difference, and if you throw away a piece of scrap, maybe you could have used it later.

I definitely wouldn't use these rumors to rule out OMP kits. From what I've seen personally, and what I've read here, they are great kits. I wouldn't recommend this for a first kit anyway, so any builder should have a few scraps of balsa around.

Any idea that they are purposefully or incompetently shorting the kits seems very unlikely given the character of the people involved.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:23 PM
edberry22

For the record, I was not, nor ever suggesting that this company was "shorting" the kit by any means. Deep in my heart I felt it was more along the lines of....thses kits are supplied with enough wood to build with probably very little left over, and if it is built without paying attention closely to pieces used and when, that it would appear to be short. Heck I have built that way in the past and thankfully kits to this point have had more then enough wood to allow for my errors.
I think thats how they can keep a great kit priced so good. No frills, and no waste. As easy is this kit sounds to build, I think it will no doubt take me the same amount of time to build, as any kits I have built to date. I plan on building it slow, smart, and I plan on putting in the effort to make the finished product look as good as I possibly can.
Without even having the kit in my hands yet (its shipping today) I plan on ordering thier Yak-54 before the month is over. Theres just something about that plane that caught my eyes and wont let go.
I am sorry to anyone who thought I was dissing this company, cause that was not my intent, my intent was to maybe to make other people aware that there is not the normal supply of wood that one might be acustom to, and building habits should be watched closely.
I have what I Consider plenty of scrap wood around to more then make up for any mistake I will no doubt make while building this plane, as well as any mods that I feel might make it more durable.
I know though that I MUST keep weight control in mind as well.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:47 PM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

When building this kit I took note of my supply of wood and realized that there wouldn't be alot of scrap. In the end it was true, the kit has enough wood to build the plane and only a handful of scraps in the end. If you follow the instructions carefully you will come out fine. It really just boils down to what others have said, this kit is 90% wooden sticks when you get it and they give you just enough to build.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:55 PM
John Wells
My Feedback: (10)

ecajberry, that Yak looks neat and given the dimensions / wing area, it ought to be a good one!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:34 PM
edberry22

Default Yak-54

I wrote OMP an e-mail this morning and got my reply early this afternoon.....the Yak will be ready for shipment sometime in June, which will work out just about right for me.
I should be finishing up with the Edge just in time to order the Yak.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:26 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Default Wood usage

Hey fellow Fun Flyers,

Through the help of some great and dedicated builders out there, we did totally rescrub the wood usage and supply for the GS540P several months ago and made a few changes/additions to the GS540P kit line. The FF540P is fairly refined and been in production with virtually no issues for a couple years now. Hopefully we've gotten the bugs out of the GS540P as well! As always, we'll take care of our customers with any kit problems. And I'm working really hard to get the YAK into production but with the new manufacturing and building techniques we are using with this kit, it's taking longer than expected. Stay tuned gents, it's a comin!

Mike Pilkenton
aka "Salmon"
Old 05-08-2003, 07:28 PM
edberry22

I am really getting to like the folks at OMP. They answer thier e-mail, and seem to really want to take care of thier customers.
That is a hard to find in todays buisiness world.

Mike......you have gained a loyal customer in me thats for sure.
You have my e-mail so let me know when I can order the Yak, the photo hanging on my wall for inspiration wont last to long.
hahahahaha hahahahahaha
Old 05-09-2003, 11:47 AM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks Ed, I try hard and wish I had more time for the fun and games of model aviation. Somebody decided long ago though that we all had to have real jobs to be big boys and girls so that keeps me just as busy! Who was that person???!!

We are getting ready to go down to the big Joe Nall meet with the big birds we have and have been very busy with that. The YAK will get top priority after that and we are targeting June for the first kit run.

Mike