Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

I'm being shunned for hovering at my club!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

I'm being shunned for hovering at my club!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 09:28 PM
T Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm being shunned for hovering at my club!

:cry: wah,wah wah
get a life and quit yer whining -show some curtosy for others
give em some room and theyll be more understanding. been there done that!
"i'm being shunned for hovering"
Old 05-09-2003, 09:49 PM
BAD ANDY
My Feedback: (11)

Default by the way

What is the difference between a 40% plane needing the space or air or a scale plane wanting air time, or oh my god a pattern guy not wanting anyone else to fly period? Everyone wants something different and gets something different from OUR hobby. Our hobby is R/C and it incorporates all aspects of remote control. So yes we do have to get along and fly together, but to do so we need give and take. Ok, I will fly in the corner of the feild when others are out and I will hope that when i show up at the feild that I only see profile brothers having a blast. Or when I want to fly pylon then that is all I see, or combat etc. This is all for me on this one. Yall can catch me elsewhere having fun. BAD ANDY
Old 05-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Garthwood

Default hovering

Sorry chum, I think you're wrong to hover when others are flying, it's for safety's sake. The club that I belong to, the rules are that when helis are flying no other flying is allowed, some heli guys fly very agressively to a point where it gets too risky. Showing off is not a flying skill it's stupidity.
Other heli guys are a pleasure to watch. We have an area for helis to hover but within reason. You have a problem when somebody tells you to stop hovering close by or ignoring the safety of others. This hobby is supposed to be relaxing and to be pleasureable. The only solution is to have certain days for hovering. I'm assuming that the hovering is for heli and not for 3Ds. If it's for 3ds flying safely is still a requirement.
Good luck and hope you'll settle this in a friendly manner, afterall we all love this hobby, it's a great hobby.
Enjoy flying forever.
Garthwood
Old 05-09-2003, 09:57 PM
T Smith

TO bad andy --I wasnt flaming you --sory to post behind you But I this post "being shunned" and was replying to that ,I agree with you on this subject
Old 05-10-2003, 12:07 AM
BAD ANDY
My Feedback: (11)

Default no problem bud

Hey Tsmith, no problem with what you wrote at all buddy. Everyone has a belly button, an opinion, and a as_____. I was just putting in my 2 cents.

Hey Garthwood, we are talking about 3d buddy.(airplanes) And I am in total agreement on being safe. But picture this, you have a runway- can you see it, you have a flightline where we are standing and flying- can you see it? The pits are behind us and run the whole length on the flightline- can you see it? What does it matter where I do my hovering over the runway as long as I am #1 not in anyones way while flying. #2 not hovering over the flightline. #3 not hovering in the pits or parking lot. #4 Calling my shots #5 going vertical when someone wants to flyby or takeoff or land (we do that at our feild) #6 I dont fly 1 flight after another unless it is just me or my hovering buddies at the feild.

Once again I am on the same page of music with everyone else when it comes to safety, and I understand that everyones feild and circumstances are different. But no one can speak for me and mine so dont. I am just venting here, so everyone please take it that way. And I do fly all spects of "OUR" hobby be it r/c or c/l and I have now since 1974.
So I say tie on some streamers or go fast and turn left and if that dont work, hell just hover it.. haha --- Be good, BAD ANDY
Old 05-10-2003, 01:59 AM
hoverit-RCU

I'm not sure where or who started the confusion, but I HAVE NEVER HOVERED IN FRONT OF ANOTHER PILOT, I stay aleast 50 ft away from anyone that is flying so not to interfere with them, I would say it's equally annoying for both of us.

And no REALLYUGLYSTICK I was not taking a pot shot at you, you simply don't understand my point of view so let me lay it out again...

Rather than take turns I was asked to go fly somewhere else, what would you do if your club was all hover junkies and asked you to go fly way over there because you where making some of them nervous, not that you ever flew close to them.

What the real problem is, is that they have never seen a plane hover, and whether it's 50 or 100 ft away from them the constant but ever so slightly change in engine noise probably freaks them out a little, I'm sure they'll get used to iy BUT....

they should asked me to take turns not stick me over in the corner, like I said if I wanted to fly alone I wouldn't have joined a club.

And by the way what did you edit out that was so bad REALLYUGLYSTICK, I'm a big boy I can take it.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:25 AM
WADE
My Feedback: (19)

Hoverit,
Don't worry about the kamakazi SPAD. Get yourself one of those battlebots I see on TV, the one with the skilsaw blade spinning in the front, and chew up some balsa in the pits! Hehe, I must sound devious! I'm joking of course, but neat payback huh?
Old 05-10-2003, 10:35 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Default Hey Wade

Get yourself one of those battlebots I see on TV, the one with the skilsaw blade spinning in the front, and chew up some balsa in the pits! Hehe, I must sound devious! I'm joking of course, but neat payback huh?
Okay..... that got my wheels turning!!! Off to the shop.

Doug
Old 05-10-2003, 10:44 AM
ReallyUglyStick
My Feedback: (5)

hoverit, i apologize for possibly being the one to start the confusion regarding hovering close to people. your original post stated that you can tail tap and land 2 steps in front of yourself, and this leads people to believe that you are doing so from a pilots station, and therefore you'd be right next to someone. the name of the game is tolerance. talk to those involved and see if you can work out some sort of agreement. maybe you'll find that it's really just one or two people and when they aren't there you can take turns with the other pilots. maybe you'll find that you just need to move to another club that's more your style.
as for what i said, it was just a stupid comment that i shouldn't have said and i'll leave it at that.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:19 PM
hoverit-RCU

WADE your the man, hand saw blades for wings LOL.

Now back to the subject at hand, I talked to one of the officers in the club and asked about putting in a heli pad for the one guy in the club that flies heli's, and maybe me and him could share it.

I also asked him to check with AMA regarding hovering and what they are doing about it, now that more and more people are flying 3D and hovering and we'll never give it up.

They have to start thinking about guys wanting to hand launch to hover and hand retrieve from hover. Where does the liability fall? I'd assume it would be the pilots responsibility.

If your can't get hurt or possibly die doing it it's probably not very fun. I love to skydive and motocross quads, so so hovering at arm distance doesn't bother me too much.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:13 PM
AJT

I wish I could hover, at my club no one can. So they all try to egg me on to try! If nothing else we get a good laugh out of it. Great bunch of guys! they'r all nuts thats why I joined that club.
AJT
Old 05-10-2003, 07:40 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

I like Chucks cut and paste idea......wait i got a better one. Do the search and when you find a seniment you like feel good that there is someone out there that thinks like you ......lol I think this reminds me why i only fly with my friends at private fields.
>grins< Dan
Old 05-10-2003, 08:52 PM
vtol_guy

im not a fun flyer yet but personally i have no problems with fun fly's hovering. The club is there for anyone whether they be scale, fun fly, trainers, or whatever. Personally i think its quite fun to have a model hovering a few feet above me (not directly above) while im flying, we all have a bit of a laugh at the club. Next time i have someone hover over me for a joke im gonna inverted flight severel feet above them hehehe!
Old 05-10-2003, 09:33 PM
rcspud
My Feedback: (2)

Im still learning the ropes of flying and am on a buddy box. I have some interesting aircraft to fly that way.(its more of a spotter thing)
Anyway at the last fun fly I (and other newbie's) couldnt get to the flight line because of 5 very good pilots kept hovering over the runway for over 3 hours.
Talk about no respect. There was at least 6 of newbies that didnt get to fly that day.

I dont have a problem at all with their flying,I really like watching them do thier thing(wish I could do it). I just wish they would have given us a chance to play as well.

Good luck with the 3'dn, I hope to join ya someday.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:41 PM
hoverit-RCU

rcspud you should have flown anyway, trust me they'll get out of your way if they value their birds lol.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:29 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by hoverit
I also asked him to check with AMA regarding hovering and what they are doing about it, now that more and more people are flying 3D and hovering and we'll never give it up.

They have to start thinking about guys wanting to hand launch to hover and hand retrieve from hover. Where does the liability fall? I'd assume it would be the pilots responsibility.
They already have. Hand launches are fine, hand retrievals of powered planes are not, and you can get as close to yourself as you want proveded 1) you are not behind the flightline (just throwing that one in, should be obvious), and 2) you do not get within 25 feet of anyone else (other than your assistant). It's all in the 2003 safety code.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:54 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

I agree, there has been huge debate on the subject.
#1 I hover, but will not do it "right on top" of me.
#2 I only hover over the runway when I'm the only one up, or I'm up with another 3D pilot.
#3 I do not reach for the plane. (At least when anyone is watching.)

I will say that if a person was hovering, and there was a problem, It would seem to be safer if they were close to the ground. The closer to the ground, the shorter the time it takes to crash, right? Just don't hover near people.

As far as people who complain just too much... I like to turn on final, where bigger planes do, and call "LANDING" and do a one mph approach, and land way down at the other end. That really burns'em when they have to avoid the runway for that length of time, especially when they know I can land in a holla hoop when I want to.

BAD TAILTWISTER... BAD!
Old 05-11-2003, 01:56 PM
hoverit-RCU

I like the #1 best tailtwister, I'll have to read back and see which guy said he hovers above himself. It sure as heck wasn't me, talk about getting confused real quick, not to mention blowing and dripping burnt caster in your face lol.

I'll have to use the final approach tatic though, thats genious.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:48 PM
fadmuker

Default HOVERIN

any pilot attracted to this kind of flying, is drawn by the extrovert,
showboating, display pilot , ultra control, aspects of 3d funfly,
SOME OTHER PILOTS!! LIKE IT SOME DON`T
so learn to be cool! not a fool,

ask the moaners for advice, (they love that!)

give the nervous guys a free go on your hack and lessons in hoverin.

show curticy and obedeance to the safety guy,

if these tips don`t make you more popular at the field

BUY A GUN

ITS FUN TO FLY FUN FLY
Old 05-11-2003, 09:02 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: HOVERIN

Originally posted by fadmuker
ask the moaners for advice, (they love that!)

Thats probably the truest statement in this whole thread.

There is one guy at our club who when he shows up we say...
"the information booth is now open"
Old 05-11-2003, 09:36 PM
fadmuker

Default ONLY JOKING

ONLY JOKING ABOUT THE GUN, GUY`S !!
ITS FUN TO FLY FUNFLY
Old 05-12-2003, 12:37 AM
hoverit-RCU

fadmuker, after asking the old timers to help me with the low end jetting of my m v v s .49 and it finally just fell on the ground it was so loose I whipped out my 45 magnum and said you got 2 minutes to make it run right you old geezer...oh that was a dream lol. Really they haven't been that bad and I really just needed to vent to my profile brothers, I know I'm not the first guy that this has happened to but it touched a nerve. We are all here for the same reason and thats to hover I mean fly lol.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:55 AM
YNOT

Ya know..........

For those of you who were at the Houston Pro Bro and 3D show, wouldn't it be great for all the people who complain, worry, object and overall wish there was no 3D, to see what 3D and hoverbatics is all about?

There were 5-6 planes in the air all the time, most of them hovering only inch's about the deck, within 4-6 feet in front of other pilots, and not a single complaint, concern or even a broken prop.

Heli guys went through this years ago. Thats why the heli guys always seem to migrate to one field, so no one complains.

It may be getting to a point that we need to do the same.

There are 2 out of 15 fields here in the Houston area that are 3D friendly. I fly at those two, most of the time, care to join me?
Old 05-12-2003, 01:32 AM
hoverit-RCU

Your so right YNOT I've flown around all of the die hards at the club with no problems, now the other members are starting to show up is when all of this began. I wish they all were as hooked as I am on becoming a better pilot and taking it to the next level.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Garthwood

First of all I want to apologize if I misunderstood....hoverit...
secondly I agree with the "Sailor" it's a matter of attitude. If we all approach each other gently and not coming on too strong, any problem can be worked out. We're fliers not bulldozers.
It's been really interesting reading all the comments. The way I see it "hoverit" has a bit of a problem with his club that must be resolved and approached diplomatically. I'm sure he can have his deserved time to do 3d hovering. A suggestion that might be of interest, especially with the growth of 3D would be as soon as a person arrives at the field, that person will be given a number and when his turn comes up he'll be called by that number. Those who object will have their turn as soon as the 3d hovering time is up or runs out of fuel. There's always a solution to a problem depends how the problem is approached, attitude is most important. If there are no other fields you can go to than you're kind of screwed. That's why clubs have meetings so that a person can vent out and lay down the problem or confrontation instead of at the field, of course with the president as a moderator. Good luck and happy flying.
Regards
Garthwood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.