Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

I'm being shunned for hovering at my club!

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

I'm being shunned for hovering at my club!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 04:29 PM
monty4200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QHOR's and BPF's

Gents,
The new rage at our field seems to be flyin' SPADS. These coroplast birds have been around for some time but all of a sudden the pilots here have discovered them. The guys that used to show up with 1/4 scale extras, gas powered bigbirds, and high dollar pattern ships are showing up with these 10 dollar planes powered with 100 dollar motors. Yikes.
The one thing these planes do well is hover. Now you take a guy that usually flies a high dollar, balsa bird and give him one of these bulletproof little units and they go nuts. So now its a touch and go bouncing the rudder and flat spins galore.
When this is happening , about 10 to 15 minutes, we wait. They get done we fly our sport planes. Not unlike what we do when the zagi's are up or when the copters are flying, the pattern pilot is up, the electric flyer is wringing out the crazy max or when the new guy is test flying his first taildragger. yada yada yada
Safety isn't the issue here, Safety is the lever that the whiners use. "I paid my dues" is what you will hear from an inconsiderate pilot.
Some guys are just weenies no matter what they are flyin' and some dudes will whine about a free lunch.
So heres the real deal. Is hoverit a weenie? Or is he just dealing with a whiner?

Regards

Monty
Old 05-12-2003, 06:08 PM
fadmuker

Default lucky

you guys are lucky, over the pond,
you got big funfly 3d scene.

over here in the uk, there are not a lot of pilots who have acquired the taste of this adrenalin brew we call 3d funfly,

you can count the kits available on one hand, and the same applies to props,

if we had a profile brotherhood i would pledge alligiance forth withe.

so you must temper your resolve with patience and persistence,
feel the force of the brotherhood serge to your fingertips,
practice your art with consideration for fellow pilot,
understand them, never underestimate them,
for one day they will feel the POWER OF THE PROFILE

ITS FUN TO FLY FUNFLY
Old 05-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: QHOR's and BPF's

Originally posted by monty4200
Gents,
The new rage at our field seems to be flyin' SPADS. These coroplast birds have been around for some time but all of a sudden the pilots here have discovered them. The guys that used to show up with 1/4 scale extras, gas powered bigbirds, and high dollar pattern ships are showing up with these 10 dollar planes powered with 100 dollar motors. Yikes.
The one thing these planes do well is hover. Now you take a guy that usually flies a high dollar, balsa bird and give him one of these bulletproof little units and they go nuts. So now its a touch and go bouncing the rudder and flat spins galore.
When this is happening , about 10 to 15 minutes, we wait. They get done we fly our sport planes. Not unlike what we do when the zagi's are up or when the copters are flying, the pattern pilot is up, the electric flyer is wringing out the crazy max or when the new guy is test flying his first taildragger. yada yada yada
Safety isn't the issue here, Safety is the lever that the whiners use. "I paid my dues" is what you will hear from an inconsiderate pilot.
Some guys are just weenies no matter what they are flyin' and some dudes will whine about a free lunch.
So heres the real deal. Is hoverit a weenie? Or is he just dealing with a whiner?

Regards

Monty
That sounds just like my club. As long as the 3D folks respect the sport pilots and the sport pilots respect the 3D flyers, everyone has a great time. Zagis are fair game though
Old 05-12-2003, 08:32 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default I'm being shunned for hovering at my club!

I am guessing this would be what this thread is talking about....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	77954_60.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	45928  
Old 05-12-2003, 08:50 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Nope..

They aren't over the runway!! Still plenty of room for that low pass.

Went back and looked..he said he made the other pilots nervous..somebody else was probably complaining about not being able to make a low pass.

And looks like 2 antenna?? in your pic?? (Great Pic!)
Old 05-12-2003, 08:59 PM
Antwon
My Feedback: (1)

I belong to the same club as Hoverit ( aka Jim) and can honestly say he is a good pilot and I really enjoy watching him fly. I couldn't attend this months club meeting so I didn't get a chance to voice my opinion on this subject. Some of our members have been in this club for hundreds of years and are smites hard to deal with, not that they are wrong, they just don't like change. I'm glad that these older gentlemen made the field the way it is today and we want to do our part too. My solution is to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome. Jim can fly next to me any day he wants because I'm fine with that, some of the other guys should take a 15 minute break and let Jim fly if they are not comfortable. Jim should move to the end of the field when we have a bunch of people that are not comfortably or see if he can get his flight time in while everyone is shooting the s&*t. This will get worked out and I'm sure in the end we will all be flying instead of crying. Face it, the hobby will have more changes in the future and we will deal with those when they start creeping up. The issue of people flying in the back yard 1/4 mile from our field scares me more than anything. Luckily we don't have that problem at our field...yet.
Mike
Old 05-12-2003, 10:50 PM
NavyFlyer
My Feedback: (8)

Originally posted by YNOT
Yea, welcome to the club.
yes, some of it can be jealousy

I fly alone, or only with other liked minded 3D folks.

I agree with these statements whole heartedly.. There are 2 guys at my club who "Hover".. then there's the guys who like it.. and the guys who hate it... I dunno, my clubs a cool, but has some cooky fellow's.. I think alot of is is jealousy and I don't fly there much.. The pres, vice pres and a few others are really cool, but there's this one guy who I see ALL the time.. twice a week atleast and he has NEVER once acted like he knew me... He speaks to me at the field and when he does, he speaks down to me.... No biggie.. just annoying..

You guys need to check out some of the parkflyers that are comming out on the scene.. I'm selling off all my large nitro stuff (Keeping the 40 sized profiles of course. ) and going parkflyer...
Old 05-12-2003, 10:53 PM
NavyFlyer

Originally posted by Antwon
The issue of people flying in the back yard 1/4 mile from our field scares me more than anything. Luckily we don't have that problem at our field...yet.
I guess I'd be guilty of being one of those... It's much easier to fly in my backyard than drive anywhere to fly...
Old 05-16-2003, 12:16 AM
wrench

Default think this hurt?????????

think you can't get hurt from a slow plane. look slow flying pgf
Old 05-16-2003, 05:09 AM
NavyFlyer

Default Re: think this hurt?????????

Originally posted by wrench
think you can't get hurt from a slow plane. look slow flying pgf
Who said that?
Old 05-16-2003, 04:52 PM
fadmuker

i can`t believe this thread has gone on so long,
to get by with others you must have

consideration for others,

common sense,

and compromise!

and when we convince ourselves, we don`t need these things,
we get problems,
until we revert to the above,
this is a simple philosophy to follow,
unfotunately, we don`t all follow it at the same time!!
its fun to fly funfly
Old 05-20-2003, 09:07 PM
Spaceclam

the solution may be to hover a bit farther away. yes, you must be really good, but the other pilots are not you, and while they are trying to fly their beauty, a plane with a whirling prop hovering right in front of them is quite distracting. just try it a bit farther away.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:13 AM
hoverit-RCU

Well if you read the entire thread you'd see I never flew in front of anyone but myself Spaceclam.

And yes I thought this thread was a dead issue, I was just venting to my pro bros, you know us profile guys have to stick together.