Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Where to buy the OMP Edge?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Where to buy the OMP Edge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 06:08 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy the OMP Edge?

I'm not a die hard fun fly addict like you guys, but do I like to fly my Extra Special quite a bit.

You guys got me thinking about the OMP Edge, but I have never seen it advertised. Where can I get one? Is there a website?

Thanks,
Old 05-13-2003, 06:53 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Hey Daven..

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/

While I was looking up the URL I took the time to order one for myself..they are at "The Nall" but will be back on the 19th.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:27 PM
daven

Thanks Chuck. I would love for you to get one, so I can get a comparison between the Edge and Sledge.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:49 PM
BotleRocketWar

daven,

Nice to see you around here...

I had to retire my Extra Special after it just sort of fell apart in the air...Too many flights, too much fuel, too many crashes, and not enough duct tape! Good to hear there are a few of them still flying!

I'm finishing up a Sledge now... Everyone who has flown both planes seems to think the Sledge is better. The OMP Edge will spin more like the Extra Special, but won't 3D as well as the Sledge.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:04 PM
ChuckAuger

I've seen Jess Rozman Fly an OMP Edge and it was 3D'n to beat the band. His comments on the Sledge were something along the lines of it felt like a larger plane since it had a more definite stall, while the OMP would just keep flying. This is probably because the Sledge wing tapers in thickness while the OMP (as I recall) has a constant thickness. Jess was in a mid air while hoveing his OMP Edge and just harriered into a landing..with a good bit of his wing damaged.

I love my Sledge, but I also can see that unless I am happy to keep it in the stratosphere, it's gonna auger in sooner or later. So with all I've heard about the OMP, I figured I'd better have one of those, too.

BTW..there is a great video of Jess 3D'n an OMP Edge..you will have to get Down and do a search on the 'net for the site that has him 3D'n on the Deck..it's one of them .com places, not sure which one..
Old 05-13-2003, 11:13 PM
daven

Default OMP Edge

Yes the Extra Special is still flying well. I put 4 flights on it this past Saturday, and it still does the coolest inverted climbing flat spins. I know I have over 100 flights on it, and it is basically still in like new condition. Not bad for a $33 kit.

The reasons I am leaning towards the OMP 540 is I prefer the servos in the tail with short linkages as opposed to the PULL PULL of the sledge. Please don't flame me too much for that comment. I also don't like the amount of reports of poor wood, and missing parts that I have been hearing about the sledge.

At nearly half the cost, the OMP looks to be a bargain, and I replace all the extra crap hardware anyways. After looking at the Yak though, I'm tempted to pull my .91 fx off the GeeBee for that.............

decisions, decisions.............
Old 05-13-2003, 11:37 PM
ChuckAuger

It was my first Pull-Pull setup, and it went pretty good, I thought. I like the servos around the center of mass and short servo leads on a plane this light. On larger planes I don't think it matters as much. Variety is the spice of life..I don't think anybody will flame you over that !

It is disturbing to hear the comments on the wood. It has no doubt steered some potential buyers away, and rightly so. Nobody wants to buy an inferior grade of wood at a premium price. I also feel it is a shame since the Sledge is such a neat plane. I took mine to a fun fly Sunday and it drew a crowd every time I put it up, and I'm not even a mediocre 3D pilot. Morris needs to get some GOOD kits out there soon or the Sledge will get a bad reputation and lots of folks will miss out on a lot of fun.

So like they say.."Which one do I get?? Get them both!!" I'll have one of each. I'm sure not much of a barometer, though. This 3D stuff is a lot of fun, but I have a lot to learn. I have had a great boost of enthusiasm since I took up 3D...it's great to get the hang of some manuevers that you thought you could never do. I can also tell it's gonna eat some planes getting there!!

Oh yeah..YS 63 power!! You know me...everything I own turns about 20K, so I am snake-hypnotized by these 4 strokes. Sorta like always falling for a blonde, then finding out what a red-head is like LOL
Old 05-14-2003, 12:26 AM
daven

After reading what I have read, I believe the Sledge is probably the better plane to get, but I don't want to spend the $100+ to get bad wood, missing hardware, and poor customer service to boot.

From what I've been hearing, thats the current story out of morris.

I will say the crop of balsa in the past year has been quite bad. I have seen it in racing planes also, and its tough to get good (not punky) lite competition balsa.

Plus, I gotta try out one of those American Flag covering schemes. That post from Termigator has inspired many of us.

Like they say, timing is everything.

As to engines, you won't see a 4 stroke on one of my planes. considering either the Webra or O.S. .50.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:38 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Jeff Williams said that Morris was going to get wood from Sig from now on so maybe youd get decent wood.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:40 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

And on the customer service part I couldnt comment because I just didnt bother with em...............John
Old 05-16-2003, 06:30 AM
lomcevek1

I and most other people that I have talked to have had GREAT customer support with Morris hobbies.

However the wood in my sledge was hard and I am not sure of the final weight yet because I am still in the process of covering.