Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

question about home electric. 110V

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

question about home electric. 110V

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 08:23 PM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about home electric. 110V

is there an electrician in here?
Old 05-14-2003, 12:43 AM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Whats up Bugs?
Old 05-14-2003, 01:19 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

If you're thinking about running your plane off 110, forget it. The extension cord gets twisted in the prop when you hover.

Tom
Old 05-14-2003, 04:00 AM
bugsiegel

Default question.

here's a situation that I came across. I worked it out a different but I'll ask anyway.
from the breaker box there is a bx2 line pulled to a light box in the ceiling. from the light box the neutral is tied to the neutral on the light. the hot goes to the switch and back to the light. simple enough, the light works.
my question is this, is there a way to pull a live line from that switch box to be used for another fixture on it's own switch or an outlet?
what I'm also asking is if I tied a hot wire to the hot wire going into the switch and then grounded off the wall mounted box , that a correct way of doing this?
( it worked that way but I wasn't comfortable with it so I just pulled the line from the light box)
Old 05-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Hacker

Bugs, the correct way is to pull power from the "in leg"(should be black) in the switch box. make sure you are not overloading the circuit
Old 05-14-2003, 04:16 PM
PilotFrog

Default GROUND FAULT!

Bugs,
If you have a single 2 conductor line W/ground leaving the lightbox as a switch leg or using the cbx sheath as ground then you cannot draw power from the switch box as you are drawing power thru the ground connections and not the neutral (white wire) and this is a no-no , against code, and a shock hazard! You have a ground fault! The ground line is not designed to carry a current load and is usually lighter gauge and/or you are relying on ground path connections which can become corroded, overheat, and also be a fire hazard.

Also, the only time you can connect a white wire to black is on the leg to a switch(if you are using romex cable w/ground). You leave the light box by hooking white to the hot leg in the box. you return on black with switched "hot" to the light fixture. So the white is actually the "hot" line in the switch box. If you are using cbx then it should be black "hot" to the switch and you should leave the switch back to the light fixture on red "hot switched". It is good practice to mark white "hots" with a stripe of black electrical tape around it when using white/black 2 wire romex w/ground for switch legs. Regardless, you should never try to extract power from a switch leg by using the hot lead and ground.
If its cbx then run another neutral white wire down the conduit then you could use the hot & the white for power and still maintain ground integrity. As per previous warning, do not overload the circuit.
Hope this helps,
PilotFrog
Old 05-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Billy Hell

Default One thing...

Make sure you don't use the round wires. Use the ones that are flat. I'm sure you know why.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:50 PM
bugsiegel

Default got it

thanks guys for the answer. Now I under stand better.
Make sure you don't use the round wires. Use the ones that are flat. I'm sure you know why.
what does that mean?
Old 05-15-2003, 02:51 AM
PilotFrog

Hell if I know????LOL