Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

First 3d/Funfly plane (JWillaims read this)

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

First 3d/Funfly plane (JWillaims read this)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 03:43 AM
Blackhawk3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 3d/Funfly plane (JWillaims read this)

I posted a poll about which plane to get. The Sledge won by a large margin. Now my question is, DWilliams (I heard he designed the sledge from Termagator) said that I would be better off going for the Knife as my first fun fly. My question is, and I am asking (to DWillams especially) why is the knife a better first 3d/funfly plane? I always ask tons of questions when I buy something so bear with me . Thanks for the input.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:49 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Blackhawk3D, I suggested the knife because when learning 3D you will get in trouble, and the knife is just more forgiving than the sledge. It will start flying quicker, therefore it makes getting out of trouble easier. The hovering may be somewhat easier too, a matter of personal preference. You could definitely learn on the sledge but it will be more difficult. Jeff Williams
Old 05-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Blackhawk3D

K, I just like the sledge better overall. I like the double taper wings and the edge look instead of straight wings and sharp angled canopy. Chuck Auger (Don't know his real name) says the Sledge will be fine, but you say get the Knife, I don't know what to do. He says I am putting too much thought into this, and I probably am, but I can't help it. Anyone else have an opinion on these two planes?
Old 05-15-2003, 01:45 PM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

Default Choices

About 4 years ago when I met Jeff he was not into the 3D stuff yet. The Knife was part of his learning curve for the 3D stuff. The Sledge came about to do more advanced 3D type stuff. That being said, build a Knife set it up and fly it. As soon as the Knife is flying start building a sledge. When you are ready move the engine and radio to the Sledge and start flying it. Then you can sell the Knife to someone else to learn 3D on. Tom
Old 05-15-2003, 02:39 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by Blackhawk3D
K, I just like the sledge better overall. I like the double taper wings and the edge look instead of straight wings and sharp angled canopy. Chuck Auger (Don't know his real name) says the Sledge will be fine, but you say get the Knife, I don't know what to do. He says I am putting too much thought into this, and I probably am, but I can't help it. Anyone else have an opinion on these two planes?
What I meant was..you can't go wrong with either one IMHO. If JWilliams says get the Knife, then go for it.

The only profiles I have are a Top Cap and a Sledge. When I'm just flying around in a pattern, I can't tell any difference. They fly pretty much the same.

I'm a novice at 3D, I can barely hover and I like my Sledge. Is it the best plane?? Heck I don't know. I bought it because at the time it had just come out and I liked the way it looked. Has it helped or hindered my 3D learning curve?? I don't know..it is so much fun to fly I do spend a lot more time at the field, that can't hurt.

None of these planes are "hard" to fly. If you can fly a trainer, you can fly any of the profiles with the control throws reduced.

I think you could throw a dart at a dartboard with the names of all the planes on your list and would be perfectly happy with which ever one it hit.

And I told you my name...JWilliams. Jeff Williams to be exact. Now are you confused enough??
Old 05-15-2003, 03:00 PM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Knife is more forgiving and when trying to learn 3D a half a second forgiveness can mean staying airborne or eating the dirt. The Knife is a little cheaper also so when you do hit the dirt, and you will... you won't be out as much money. When learning to fly 3D the last thing you should worry about is how much you like the looks of the plane because in order to learn 3D you will beat that thing up like a punching bag.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:11 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I think I aggree with Chuck Auger... Just throw a dart at the board and go for it... You're gonna love 3d anyway and you will grow with whatever plane you choose...
Old 05-15-2003, 03:41 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by WreckRman2
When learning to fly 3D the last thing you should worry about is how much you like the looks of the plane because in order to learn 3D you will beat that thing up like a punching bag.
Not sure I agree with that. I always try to select an aesthetically pleasing plane design. It may end up looking like hell after a while, but I like to start out with a nice plane. You do, too.

Some folks think I put too much time and effort into the covering of my Sledge since it's just gonna get beat like a punching bag. Well, it's already been crashed once pretty good and once not-too-hard and it's not ready to be put out to pasture just yet. I don't think you could tell it had been crashed unless you really got down and started picking it over. Does that mean I should have picked a Knife?? I don't think so.

I don't think an aesthetically pleasing plane is any harder to repair than an ugly plane...some people take more pride in their craftsmanship than others.

I think the fact that you will HAVE to repair a 3D learning plane is the correct statement. What it starts out looking like is up to the person who buys/flys it.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:37 PM
JWilliams

Blackhawk3D, are you confused yet? Although we are all trying to help, I think by now you see that either plane would fly well for you. The knife is just such an easy flying/forgiving plane I think you would find it easier to learn 3D. I agree with Paul, once you start flying 3D you will be hooked and another profile will not be a question. If you have aspirations to fly a big IMAC plane 3D style I know nothing will prepare you like the sledge for that. But you have to climb the 3D ladder just like the rest of us did. 3Dreaming is correct in that I cut my 3D teeth on the knife and I have another one framed and somewhat covered in my shop. Why would I build another one if they were not a good plane? You know the answer to that. Here is what will happen to you, buy a knife and you will love it, but in a summer of flying you will want to do more and the knife will not want to go that far, that is where the sledge will come in and take you to the next level. I know it is difficult to decide and make the most of your hard earned dollars. We are all opinionated, take it for what you will and best of luck to you. Lets us know what you decide, and I will try to answer any questions you have, with either plane, regarding construction, covering, setup whatever. [email protected] Jeff W.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:23 PM
WreckRman2
Banned

I'm building my second Knife right now too... it is a great throw around airplane.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:09 PM
Blackhawk3D

Thanks for all the input. I agree that I should get the plane that will be the easiest to learn on. Besides, I could round out the canopy with a little balsa on the corner. Any construction tips? Also, what does this setup sound like:

The Knife
Irvine .53
JR 8103
Old 05-15-2003, 10:17 PM
WreckRman2
Banned

You can easily modify the fuse when you build it.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

I think the OMP might fall right between Knife and Sledge.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:37 AM
Blackhawk3D

I'm going to get the knife, the omp is a harder build. It will be my first kit. Is the 662 a good fun fly radio? or should i spring for the 379 8103 with digis and an r700. (I will sell the digital servos and buy standard to save some money). It comes out 120 just for the transmitter if you sell the rx battery and the servos.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:45 AM
WreckRman2
Banned

You might check out this thread...

http://www.********.net/forums/showt...t=morris+knife

The 662 is plenty of radio to fly the Knife but if you go the 8103 route I'd say use the digi servos in the Knife too. There's a huge difference and it will show.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:06 AM
jldecarlo

I fly Futaba, but I would go for the 8103.

As I understand it the 662 doesn't have programmable mixes or elevator to flap mixing. I find these two very valuable in a FF plane.

Using two channels for the two ailerons allows elev to flaperon mixing (ailerons go down when elevator goes up and vice versa - good for tight loops, walls, waterfalls) and the reverse, elev to spoileron (same, but ailerons move the other way - improves harriers and elevators).

The programable mixing also allows you to program out any knife-edge coupling.

These are valuable features, at least to me.

Leonard

PS Like I said, I fly Futaba, so if the 662 has these features, ignore what I just said.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:11 AM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

Hitec Eclipse....Moderately priced with bukoo mixes.....8 i think....of which 5 are progamable. I love mine. You can get them for about $250.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Kevins_RC
My Feedback: (1)

I know I am coming into this late, but I agree with Jeff, start with the Knife, and 3Dreaming has the right suggestion in advising start the Sledge as you are learning 3D with the Knife and transfer the equipment when you are ready for the Sledge.
I appreciate Chuck's honestly. I see an awlful lot of advise up here on these forums, yet seeing other posts I really wonder if these individuals really understand 3D, let alone if they can do any of it. Realize that I do not claim to be an expert in this field neither, by any means. I am just adviseing, know who is giving you your advise (I realize it is difficult on a forum, but check out some of their other posts - this is a good indicator).

Regarding transmitter - 'Stay with who you brought to the dance!'
If you want to change, and planned to anyways, I recommend the Futaba 9C, but if you are currently set up with JR, then unless you are extremely dissatisfied with JR, stay there due to charging jack compatibility issues unless you get rid of it all.
Good Luck and JUMP!!!!! <LOL> Your not buying a house here <LOL>
Kevin
Old 05-17-2003, 11:20 PM
TooLy

How is the morris 40 su-do-khoi and the sig fazer for the first 3D-Fun-Fly???
I just got these two before a week.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:24 PM
BotleRocketWar

I think of the Su Do Khoi as a step between the Knife and Sledge. It's a great choice for learning 3D...

The Fazer on the other hand is not. It will hover, but that's about it. It's basically a Somethin' Extra without a full fuse and bigger control surfaces...It is no doubt a fun airplane, but can't really compare to these others when it comes to 3D.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:56 PM
outsideloop2

Get the Sledge kit, then build your self a Pqhor(you can get plans in the spad forum) Learn on the Pqhor and by the time your done with the kit you'll be in for a real treat with your new found skill and the perfection of the Sledge!
Old 05-18-2003, 02:01 PM
JRozman-delete

Originally posted by Billy Hell
I think the OMP might fall right between Knife and Sledge.
I think the OMP Edge and the Knife are equally forgiving. I would chose between the OMP and Knife. Then Sledge. They are really different classes of airplanes.

The OMP Edge and the Knife both hover, TR, harrier(upright and inverted) very well without flapperons.

Differences- Knife rolls better. (Important for high alpha rolls).
OMP does killer waterfalls, walls and parachutes without flapperons. The Knife falls short in these maneuvers.

My recommendation. 1st plane OMP Edge. 2nd Sledge. 3rd Extreme flight Yak with DA-50. I saw that thing fly at Joe Nall with a capable pilot and that thing did it all. I did not get to fly it but I sure want to!!!!

Jess
Old 05-18-2003, 02:57 PM
WreckRman2
Banned

Originally posted by JRozman
Extreme flight Yak with DA-50. I saw that thing fly at Joe Nall with a capable pilot and that thing did it all. I did not get to fly it but I sure want to!!!!

Jess
Chris is going to be at the Internet Fly-In with it too. You coming up for it?
Old 05-18-2003, 08:10 PM
JRozman-delete

Default Going to try

Hey WreckRman2,

I am going to try to come up. Gator and Paul Swanson are going, and if I can get the days off I will carpool with them.
I will know my June sched this week.

Jess
Old 05-19-2003, 11:34 AM
JWilliams

U better come Jess, don't you have an eye problem. You know, can't see going to work. I was supposed to go Saturday but now can only go on Sunday it looks like. Jeff W.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.