Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Flying Last Night (got some FF practice)

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Flying Last Night (got some FF practice)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 12:24 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Last Night (got some FF practice)

Had great night flying last night!!!! (for Hacker - it was 62 deg., overcast, and an almost non existent east wind) Trained one student. Had the best flights ever on the PBF. I had tons of 3 inch high saves. Several tail touches and get this - I recovered from the death spin! Then I don't know how it happened, but I was coming out of an attempted hover and I ended up upside down (sort of), then I gave a little power and I just hung in the air spinning. I could have sat there spinning all night. It was like it was stuck in a groove!!!! Very cool. I must have sat there for 2 minutes. I could have easily sat there until I ran out of gas. I was doing some really cool elevators and tail slides. Must have run 4 tanks through the PBF. No broken props. Only one doink on a 30 foot tail slide missed recovery. Then a guy was flying a Kavalier that I gave him. It was fluttering for me, but not for him. I had too much power on it. Anyway, he decided to practice for the climb and glide contest at the fun fly. (I realize that these are not serious FF planes, but we are a pretty easy going bunch) So he took off and a guy named Rick was timing him to climb for one minute. At a minute he was pretty high and he cut his engine off. He glided a long time and got 3 min and 3 sec. So I decided I would try that with my Piped Stick .46. I hammered the throttle and climbed for the sky. It was screaming! At 45 sec. I was just a spec in the sky. The other guy said, "you're going through the clouds!!!!" At one min. I cut power. I could barely see the plane. The other guy said, "you're going to go for 5 minutes!!!" I was getting thermals with my Stick! Felt like I was gliding forever. I lined up for a great landing and I got 4 minutes and 33 sec. Then a guy named Tom decided he would try with his 40FP powered Hobbico Superstar. He took off and after about 30 seconds I said to the two other guys, "watch this!" I hammered the throttle. Shot upward and passed the Superstar straight up. Then I was waaaaayyyy above him when he cut his throttle. So I flat spun all the way down. That was a cool sight, him gliding and me flat spinning right behind him. I said, "hey Tom! Look at your backdrop". Very fun night. Oh, he got 2 min 35 sec. with the Superstar.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:32 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I love nigthts like that... just out having fun with my buddies..... gotta love it....
Old 05-23-2003, 12:36 PM
rcflyby
My Feedback: (1)

Isn't that the life. I love being able to do that. Good job
Old 05-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Hacker

Brings a huge smile to my face!
Old 05-23-2003, 02:06 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Thanks guys!!

Here's a pic of the climber.....

Plans built GP Bigstick 40. No dihedral, elev and ail increased 30%, rudd incr. 50%, no wing tips, dual ail servos, and fults dualstrut nosegear (does great donuts on the airstrip).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80817_21443.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	47698