Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Converting Magic 3D Wing to Bolts vs Rubberbands?

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Converting Magic 3D Wing to Bolts vs Rubberbands?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 01:05 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converting Magic 3D Wing to Bolts vs Rubberbands?

Has anyone converted the Magic wing to a bolt-on? If so do you have any pics you could post of the mod and how it worked out. thanks. I love flying my Magic good relaxing fun, but I've decided the rubberbands are a pain in the butt.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:39 PM
WADE
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Splais,
There was a thread with a bunch of Magic mods that addressed the bolt-on wing mod. Let me see if I can find it.

Wade
Old 07-08-2003, 01:52 PM
splais

I'll try a search myself.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:02 PM
WADE
My Feedback: (19)

Ok, it was a big thread.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:18 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Splais,

Here's how I did my wing bolt conversion. I dont think I have any pics of it, but I'll try.

1. When joining the wing, I fit the spar dry, and took a drill and bit (sized to the dowel I was using). Having a second person squeeze the wings together on the spar, I ran the drill, which slotted the two wing halves around the bit. When we epoxied the wing together, we sunk the dowel in with epoxy, and allowed it to cure. On the rear of the wing, I used the stock piece of wood on the top of the wing epoxied in place.

2. On the fuse. I doubled up the front former with triangle stock to accept the dowel, and drilled a hole/slot for the dowel to slide into.

3. On the rear of the fuse, I epoxied in a piece of 7 layer 1/4" aircraft ply, to span the inside of the fuse, and let it cure in place. There was alot of fitting and adjusting dry, before the epoxy went in, to have it in the right spot.

4. I aligned the wing to the fuse, taped it in place with painters tape to hold it in place, and drilled down through the wing and fuse. I tapped the fuse for a single 1/4 x 20 nylon bolt.

It would take a massive amount of abuse, and the only reason I had to change bolts was because I had a nasty habit of using the first screwdriver I could find (which was usually too small).

I'll try to dig thru a CD of pics from 2001/2002 to see if I have any better pics of it.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	92324_721.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	53191  
Old 07-08-2003, 02:41 PM
splais

So if I understand right, you only used one dowel in the front of the wing?
Old 07-08-2003, 02:58 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

Yes, only one dowel. There's really not enough room for two from a structural standpoint. I also didnt have to make any additional reinforcement in the wing.I made sure it was a tight fit on the fuse, and used some weatherstripping to make it really tight. I never had a problem with the wing rotating or shifting, or pulling loose.

You could probably do this on an already joined wing but using a small bit, and graduating in sizes up to the size of your dowel. That will keep the bit from walking and gouging your wing.